General Discussion Triathlon Talk » STOP TALKING ABOUT VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-03-25 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2622595

User image

Tampa
Subject: RE: STOP TALKING ABOUT VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS!
famelec - 2010-01-19 4:55 PM
LeahDD - 2010-01-19 3:44 PM
Ridgelake - 2010-01-19 12:37 PM

I personally have found them useful because: 1) I'm at least 40 seconds per mile faster in them than my "regular" running shoes.  and 2) After several years of foot problems and trying all kinds of motion control, stability, custom orthotics, off-shelf orthotics, strassberg socks, rollers, you-name-it, my feet are happy to go for a run.

But as they say, YMMV.

I had no interest in these until now.  I didn't know that I could gain 40 seconds per mile.  That's good enough for me - no matter the cost (and what do they cost, anyway?).   Are they sold at regular running shoe stores? 

They may be magical for some people, but don't plan being faster anytime soon because of the VFFs.  Due to the way you are forced to run with them (not land on your heel) most people struggle to run a mile in them at first and have to build mileage incredibly slowly.  After a couple of months I'm not running more than 3 miles at a time in them and not more than 3x per week; when I replace them with my running shoes to complete my runs I'm always a bit faster with the running shoes!

Brian

Am I the only person who has found that I haven't needed any adjustment period to VFF??  I haven't experienced any of the achilles pain/calf soreness that people talk about (and if I had I probably wouldn't have persevered).  My first ever VFF run was 4 miles - short for me because I was following the advice to be cautious, but I could have easily kept going. I have been running in Newtons for the last 6-9 months so maybe that helped some.  Also, I always am barefoot inside (I live in Florida) and was barefoot a lot as a child (grew up in New Zealand where bare feet are more "acceptable" and we took our shoes off to run when we were little kids in school). Don't really know if these things made a difference but I'm yet to hear from someone else who also could put on their VFFs and run miles without a long break in period.

FWIW, I am faster in my VFFs (but not as much as 40 sec per mile) and I notice my running economy is markedly better (HR drops etc.)

2010-03-25 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2621506

User image

Champion
PA
mikerunkle - 2010-01-19 10:48 AM You're driving the price up!!!!!!  This darned supply and demand free market economy!!!  They are nearly double what I paid for my first pair 6 months ago.  STOP IT!  This sport/hobby is expensive enough as it is!!!!!!!!

I belong to a group of over 4000 individuals who buy these in size 21, file off the tread and run through national parks to encourage more Bigfoot researchers.  Sorry about that whole price thing.
2010-03-25 9:40 AM

I was hoping this thread would agree with my stance that this and barefoot running are just too hippy and disgusting for my taste. Any Teva related product is also is in my "HELL NO" catagory. No, I will not buy a pair or run barefoot because I do not like it, but I also don't want to see you running barefoot or wearing those godaweful things. I guess I'm just fashion conscious that way.

2010-03-25 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2745713

User image

Expert
Chicago
skarl - 2010-03-24 12:58 PM So these non-shoes that we're not talking about -

Which style to get?  REI has Sprint, KSO, Classic, Performa & Flow in women's sizes.  Anyone have a preference?

I tried on the Sprint, KSO and Classic.  I thought I would want the Sprint, because of the extra strap in the back to fit better for running, but actually found the KSO to be the most comfortable.  The extra strap in the sprint (for me) seemed like it would actually wind up causing some discomfort over the course of a run.  The salesman told me that he's found that most runners he's dealt with prefer the KSO over the sprint for the same reason.  As between the KSO and the Classic, I like the extra coverage on the KSO (even though it covers your foot, it's still very low profile and not at all bulky) and I like the strap over the top of the foot to adjust for a snug fit.  I've gone out running in the KSO in the mid 20's in Chicago, and it's plenty warm enough.

I'm on month three with these, and after doing some jog/walk intervals at increasing distances for a month or two, I'm up to running 4 1/2 miles straight.  It feels easy, I experience no pain and I'm really liking them.
2010-03-25 9:58 AM

User image

Regular
Rochester
I have not had any injury problems, but I decided to buy a pair of VFFs (last season I trained in Nike Frees some of the time and liked them).  Yesterday was my first run - I did an easy 3 miles and noticed one thing almost immediately - pain on the bottom/heel of my left foot.  From my ~30 minute experience with the shoes I found out right away where my stride problem is...my right foot has a great/soft midfoot strike, but my left lands at a different angle.  Today I woke up with a sore left calf...I'll know I have proper running form (at least as far as foot-strike is concenred) very easily with these shoes. 
2010-03-25 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2747635

abstract1 - 2010-03-25 9:58 AM I have not had any injury problems, but I decided to buy a pair of VFFs (last season I trained in Nike Frees some of the time and liked them).  Yesterday was my first run - I did an easy 3 miles and noticed one thing almost immediately - pain on the bottom/heel of my left foot.  From my ~30 minute experience with the shoes I found out right away where my stride problem is...my right foot has a great/soft midfoot strike, but my left lands at a different angle.  Today I woke up with a sore left calf...I'll know I have proper running form (at least as far as foot-strike is concenred) very easily with these shoes. 

So, no problems before, but after, you have problems and the issues is your stride. HMMM

2010-03-25 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2747688

User image

Regular
Rochester
bmxsykes - 2010-03-25 11:13 AM
abstract1 - 2010-03-25 9:58 AM I have not had any injury problems, but I decided to buy a pair of VFFs (last season I trained in Nike Frees some of the time and liked them).  Yesterday was my first run - I did an easy 3 miles and noticed one thing almost immediately - pain on the bottom/heel of my left foot.  From my ~30 minute experience with the shoes I found out right away where my stride problem is...my right foot has a great/soft midfoot strike, but my left lands at a different angle.  Today I woke up with a sore left calf...I'll know I have proper running form (at least as far as foot-strike is concenred) very easily with these shoes. 

So, no problems before, but after, you have problems and the issues is your stride. HMMM

Yup...just because you don't experience injuries doesn't mean you are running as efficiently as you can.  I've been lucky enough to not have any injuries yet, but having a heel strike on my left foot would most likely eventually evolve in to an injury.  The sore calf stemmed from using the muscles I should be using on the left leg.  I don't consider a sore calf a "problem" but thanks for your concern.   I have sore muscles almost every day!  Any other questions?
2010-03-25 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2747770

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
abstract1 - 2010-03-25 10:33 AM
bmxsykes - 2010-03-25 11:13 AM

Yup...just because you don't experience injuries doesn't mean you are running as efficiently as you can.  I've been lucky enough to not have any injuries yet, but having a heel strike on my left foot would most likely eventually evolve in to an injury.  The sore calf stemmed from using the muscles I should be using on the left leg.  I don't consider a sore calf a "problem" but thanks for your concern.   I have sore muscles almost every day!  Any other questions?

Says who and what's the evidence for such statement? How do you know you will run more economical than before? Have you gone to a lab and get this tested? How do you know having a heal-strike will evolve into an injury? How do you know running fore-foot will indeed be the most economical for you?

The reality is that you don't know, you are just guessing and hoping it will work itself out. You will force a new running style onto your body and you'll hope it is the best. Your body will most likely adapt as it always do but still it might or might not be the best economical way for you.

FYI - Haile Gebrselassie, Paula Radcliffe and most of the fastest elite marathon runners are heal strikers; I would assume if anyone would have chances to develop injuries because of that are those training the most no? Sore calves might be just a result of adaptation to the use of new muscles or indicative you might eventually end up injured but time will tell. Many people running barefoot, using Nike free, vibram or switching to fore-foot running do get injure hence this notion than using this kind of gear or technique is will result in no or less injuries is inaccurate.

Edited by JorgeM 2010-03-25 11:26 AM
2010-03-25 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Rochester
I'm really not interested in getting in to an argument over my style of training...and the point of this forum isn't to belittle anyone else regardless of your level of knowledge or system of beliefs.  I was sharing my experience and thought process with others so that they could either take it or leave it.  There's no need to jump in with how what I'm doing could be right or wrong.

The fact of the matter is, I am open and willing to try new things because without trying something you 1) won't know if you like it and 2) won't know what you are capable of.  Sure, I could continue what I'm doing.  Or, I could try something new and see what happens.  Maybe I'll love it...maybe I'll hate it...maybe I'll be faster...maybe I'll be slower..maybe I'll get injured now...maybe later.  But I won't know until I try, right? 

I don't care how the elites run, bike or swim because everyone is different. 

Once again, the great thing about this forum has always been acceptance and kindness - I don't post often because of situations such as this....

**edit** ..and in all fairness I will clarify my previous statement by saying that you are correct my heel strike may not be a PROBLEM...it may just be how I run...

Edited by abstract1 2010-03-25 12:15 PM
2010-03-25 12:14 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Thanks for your input prieto539, wwlani and Ershk!!  I decided on the KSOs because I mostly run trails and they looked the most likely to keep rocks out.  And keep the tops of my feet from getting sunburnt.  Looking forward to trying them out!  I really like my Nike Frees but would like to feel barefoot on the trails now and then also.

Btw, I got the best selection and price from a local flyfishing company.  REI doesn't carry KSOs in my size or a color other than black.  I'll have to find something else to spend my dividend on.
2010-03-25 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2625005

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
mkarr0110 - 2010-01-20 5:48 PM my only question is can you wear them with compression socks?

Yes.  Injinji makes compression toe socks. 

2010-03-25 1:11 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I just bought a pair of the Sprints and I love them.  I might not run in them, but they are very comfortable for wearing as regular shoes.  At first I thought they were horribly ugly and I'd never wear them, but I wore my husband's around the house and realized that my feet really like them.  Now I don't care what people think.

VFF
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » STOP TALKING ABOUT VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS! Rss Feed  

of 3