General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dean Karnazes "Ultra Marathon Man" movie... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-01-21 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2624894

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Dean Karnazes "Ultra Marathon Man" movie...
stateu - 2010-01-20 3:53 PM

I'm only a couple chapters into the 50/50 book and don't really remember much about the first one.
I'm pretty sure he renewed his wedding vows with his wife before starting the 50/50(how many of you critics have done that?) and his kids were with him for part of the journey.
It's his job. Most people are away from their families while they work-only some more than others.
Are military people less family people than others because they may have to go away for long stints at a time?
I agree the guy comes off as egotistical, but judge not, lest.......

He writes books and makes a MOVIE about himself, he capitalized on that for income, he is FAIR GAME for crticism and and being judged.

2010-01-21 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2625856

User image

Master
Houston, TX
bryancd - 2010-01-21 7:57 AM

He writes books and makes a MOVIE about himself, he capitalized on that for income, he is FAIR GAME for crticism and and being judged.

How dare you!
2010-01-21 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2623584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS
I'm reading his book right now.
2010-01-21 8:09 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Oh man, if I am away one night my wife gives me hell and on top of that I miss my babies.  Now, if I were miles from hom and had to run 1000 miles to get home to see my babies, I promies you I would sleep < 4 hours a night and runn my off to get home!

I want to see the movie and will try to get it tomowwow!

H
2010-01-21 11:05 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I had the same kinda feeling about Dean, Marketer/runner with an unbelievably understanding wife. Lots of people in lots of professions have unbalanced lives, work too much, have substance abuse problems...I read his first book, had the same feeling about his story of taking up running and wondered where he got all the time. But he doesn't work right. Or he does I guess and running/marketing is his job.

Family is Family right. And he is lucky he has a good one.

I had a friend up at the Death Race this year, Dean ran it in a pretty good time, duh. But he brought his family, they went rafting the day before.

Wish I could get by on 4 hours sleep a night.
2010-01-22 12:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Hey All - 

Can't resist chiming in here.  I actually wrote the original music for the film in question and it helped to get me involved in running during a very important time in my life --- this eventually got me into triathlon as well.  So I maybe biased, but I stand by my friend (and one of my heros,) Dean.

I think as amateur athletes (I'm assuming we're mostly amateurs here) we can choose to take or leave whatever we like from the people in the limelight.  There's all too often Lance bashing, Dean bashing, etc.

I think this is a great discussion here - but there's no denying that Dean inspires others.  He may only inspire the other elite ultra guys to hate and resent, but for everyone of them there are 100 others like me - just normal people who's lives have been changed in part to guys like Dean writing and promoting the active cause.  Now time to get off MY soapbox!

Cheers,

Cody

P.S. Dean's family was along for most of the 50 states - it was basically a cross country tour for his entire family.  (As I recall they only missed a few states!)   

2010-01-22 12:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Oh and for the record, and Dean didn't make the movie about himself. My friend JB pitched the idea and Dean agreed. I can testify he had very little to do with the film after the 50 days and the post interviews when he's running back to St Louis.
2010-01-22 5:23 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
I have not read his books or watched the movie.  I have seen some interviews, read a few articles and have some friends that heard him speak at a race as a keynote. 

My only thought is that with all the feats he has accomplished, has the goal of someone finishing ONE marathon been diminished?  I still think it's a big deal if someone can do what needs to be done to finish a single marathon. 

My friends that heard him speak said that Dean did not give out that perception at all and that he was rather humble about his accomplishments.

50 marathons in 50 days, that is crazy!  Seems like I have heard people say that many times about triathlon!

Most of us who are grabbing life by the horns have our "everest" to climb and to outsiders it appears "crazy".  Like, I have no interest in actually climbing Mt. Everest!  Are you crazy, spend $60,000 and risk permanent injury and the likelihood that I won't summit because of the traffic jam of people on the mountain in front of me!? 

Other than fellow triathletes, most responses to me saying I was going to sign up for a IM, prompted a similar response.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dean Karnazes "Ultra Marathon Man" movie... Rss Feed  

of 2