General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri tomorrow - rain predicted Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-11 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: First Tri tomorrow - rain predicted
Tomorrow is my first Tri. I had decided to ride the new road bike (many of you read my post about my fear of it). I have worked on it a lot, feel moderately comfortable on it. However, rain showers are predicted for the morning tomorrow. Should I switch back to the mountain bike? WWYD?

If I ride with the road bike, what things should I watch out for? How do I navigate puddles safely? Is braking different?

Any quick advice would be appreciated!

Melanie

2005-06-11 8:12 PM
in reply to: #173102

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
Subject: RE: First Tri tomorrow - rain predicted
You'll definitely be able to go a lot faster on your road bike, as I'm sure you know.  Every tri I've done this year has been in the rain - even if just a light sprinkle, but enough to get the roads wet.   The only problem I've seen people have is from taking turns too quickly.   If you can keep your speed down when cornering or turning you should not skid out just going straight.  If you have experience on your road bike and feel confident on it, I would vote for road bike.  Just my humble opinion.  And my fingers are crossed that the sun shines on you tomorrow
2005-06-11 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
My first tri started in bucketing rain.

Use your road bike if that's what you've been riding.

1) Go a bit slower on the turns.
2) HAMMER it on the straight aways - most people go slower even on the straight runs - you can take the race away from them.
3) Stay off the painted lines on the roads. They get extremely slick when wet.
2005-06-11 8:40 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

Watch out for the oil spots in the road.  slippery!!

Painted lines- stay off them. 

Brake slowly. 

You can never have enough plastic bags.  Keep a pair of socks in one for fresh socks for the run in case it lets up by then.  Keep your running shoes dry too.  (I wish I took my own advice)

Wear a pair of clear glasses.  Riding in rain can feel like BB's on your eyes. 

Stay on the road bike if you want.  It's gonna be fun!  whoo whoo!!  I did a PR on the bike in the rain! 

Hey, tomorrow's your first tri?   What are you doing up late?  (you don't have a location listed and it's 9pm EST here) Get to sleep! 

2005-06-11 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I`ve done only 2 tri`s and both have been in terribly wet weather, but warm so it made up for it.
Don`t miss the brief at the start of the race, someone should call all the athelets over to explain the course and things to be carefull of. They will probably warn you to take the turns easy, which you should do. Your road bike will do fine, I was told (in this site) that if you go through a puddle to keep your feet at 3 and 9. Glad I knew that because the first puddle I went through in my 2nd race the puddle (more like a mini lake) turned out to be 6" deep. I also noticed that alot of people ditched their shades, I guess unless you have windsheld wipers they could get in the way.
Good luck and we look forward in seeing the report. PS, just because it`s raining doesn`t mean you`re not sweating....keep up the fluids on the bike as normal.
2005-06-11 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Thanks for the inspiration and advice. I will be taking the road bike AND plastic bags! Thanks for the suggestion! I wear glasses normally, so I will wear those if it is not sunny.

LUCY, I'm in CO, so it's just now 8:50pm here! I have a baby to nurse at 10pm before I can get to sleep. No long night sleep for me!

Melanie

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri tomorrow - rain predicted Rss Feed