Loveland, CO
American Diabetes Association
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate a Luna Bar, headed down to Loveland. There was road construction on the most obvious route and I don't know Loveland very well, so I got lost. Made it to the start at a reasonable time, so I thought.... Saw Ovetta and said hi.
Event warmup:

Stood in one line so that I could find out which line to be in. Stood in the next line to get a piece of paper necessary to stand in a third line. Not the most efficient check in ever. While in the third line, I heard my ride take off....
Bike
  • 00m
  • 79 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal for the day was to take it pretty slow to start out so as not to burn myself out. I did pretty well at that. ;) Heading up the canyon, I felt awesome. Not a problem. There were a few hills that were a little rough, but most of it you could just spin up pretty easily. At the Drake rest stop (25 miles in) I felt great, like I could do it all day!

Then we took the Glen Haven cut-off and things were a little steeper, but still manageable. My knees were starting to get a little whiny, but nothing too bad. About 30 miles into the ride, two women passed me slowly and one mentioned not looking forward to "The Devil's Gulch". I inquired as to what that is and they told me it was better that I not know... that I'd know when I got there. Uh, mmmmkay. I hit rest stop #3, refilled my bottles and ate part of a clif bar. Got back on and there it was.... Devil's gulch. I'll check it out with some mapping software on Monday, but I'm thinking that this makes Old Stage Rd look like a bump in the road. I started slowly up it. My lungs weren't particularly enjoying themselves (we were now at probably over 8000 ft), but it was my knees that made me get off the bike. My kneecaps felt like they were going to pop right off at any moment. Not good. So I hoofed it up Devil's gulch. A lot of folks were walking and those that were riding were barely going any faster than us. At the top, there was a spectacular view into Rocky Mtn NP!

So, now we were headed downhill. Thank GOD! I wasn't pedaling at all for about 10 minutes when there was a flat. I started pedalling and my right knee especially just killed me!

Once we got into Estes and began heading west, we were greeted by a stiff headwind. Oh good.... So heading back down the canyon, it was often difficult to sustain even 13 mph on relatively steep down hills. No fun. I had to pedal way more than I was planning on, but still mostly coasted. I thought maybe once we left the canyon the winds wouldn't be so strong. No dice.

The last 15 miles were on country roads around Loveland. It was not welcome. My knees were killing me. My back hurt. My shoulders and neck hurt. My arms were stiff. My quads and hams were cramping every few minutes. I was sooo not a happy camper. I began to realize that there is a difference between "can" and "should". That I am a Welshian BOMTYCC. That I'm a damn retard and need to be put on a leash and walked around the neighborhood because I cannot be responsible for choosing my own activities wisely.

On the bottom of a long gentle grade on which I had coasted. I began to pedal and my knees just said "no". Damn things didn't want to bend and when I made them, it felt like I was being stabbed with every slight motion. I stopped for a couple of minutes and when I got back on, they felt ok again (well, not OK, but the status quo at least). I experimented and found that my knees liked a low cadence with minimal pressure on the pedals, so I stuck with that, even though it translated to 10-11 mph on flats.

My odometer said 75 and I was beginning to celebrate the completion of my ride, when I saw the sign "Rest stop ahead" WHAT?!?!?! As I passed it, I asked the volunteers how much further. "Four miles! Woo-hoo!" "WHAT!!!!" I kept going and almost started to cry. It had been a mental battle watching the miles tick away for the last 10 miles or so and now I had FOUR more to go (it sounds like a lot when you've just gone 75...)

Luckily, a gnome like man pulled up beside me, "Can you f-ing believe they made the course four miles too long?" So we bitched about everything that hurt for that last 4 miles. It was pretty funny. This guy was a whiner and I loved it. He was my best friend for four miles. God bless him.

We finished! I can't say how happy I was to get off that damn bike and go home, take a bath, get a massage from Eric and nap.
What would you do differently?:

Do the 50 miler instead! ;) I should have remembered sunscreen. I'm not burned badly, but I have goofy white hands now with a little spot in the middle from my gloves. It was a tough ride, but in retrospect, I had fun (don'tcha love retrospect)....
Post race
Warm down:

Eating pasta. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Faster? I'm just happy I survived...

Event comments:

The check in could have been more efficient, but it was a good ride with friendly participants. Though I have a feeling that after reading Ovetta and I's RR's no BTer will ever do this ride again. LOL!

Last updated: 2005-04-11 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 79 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Around Loveland for a while (near Devil's Backbone), up the Big Thompson Canyon, took the Glen Haven cutoff up to Estes, then back down the canyon. Finished off with 15 miles on rural roads around Loveland. Most of the roads were chip-sealed
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-06-11 8:58 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: Tour de Cure
Damn dog just ate the chamois out of my bike shorts....

Edited by kimj81 2005-06-11 8:59 PM

2005-06-11 9:22 PM
in reply to: #173133

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Tour de Cure
Woohoo!!! You are soooo HOSS! That is pretty lame that they didn't sag wagon everyone for those last 4 miles

-Frank
2005-06-11 9:36 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Down here we call that lagniappe: a little something extra. The RD threw in an extra four miles and didn't even charge you for it.

Great ride. I can tell you had fun even though it hurt a little.

Edited by the bear 2005-06-11 9:38 PM
2005-06-11 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good job! I feel like I got some value for my contribution! Especially liked Gnome Man.
2005-06-11 10:46 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

I liked the gnome like guy too! 

You rock woman!  You did awesome!  Sounds like one hell of a course, and you still finished with style.....Nice work Kim!

2005-06-12 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Way to go Kim. I'm so proud of you for finishing. You are awesome. Yes, this ride was certainly more than I bargained for. But we finished right? Next year it's the 75 mile ride for me and a kick ass nutrition plan! Did I just say next year, what am I nuts? Thanks for inviting me to do the ride. Look at it this way. If I hadn't done the ride I wouldn't have learned what I needed to learn for my 1/2IM. I just was not prepared for all the climbing. The canyon felt great. Just humped it up, not steep but long. But the climbing on the country roads back - ughhh it was like extra torture. Then I had my little spasm. Oh well. We finished. Woo Hoo. Congrats girlie. O.

2005-06-12 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Congrats on finishing a tough ride Kim!!  You're right--won't be one I'd want to do!!

2005-06-12 4:05 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great ride Kim.  Congrats for abttling thru it.  You are awesome as always and raising money for a good cause tooo.  Congrats -SMO
2005-06-12 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Utah
Great job, Kim!  Some days,  I need a Gnome Man around.  You are such a bargain hunter-you got more miles for your money than you thought
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Cure Rss Feed