Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Enough with the Christmas lights already! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-01 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2955253

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Enough with the Christmas lights already!
maria40nc - 2010-07-01 9:10 AM Ok.. this is an old thread, but I just had to update it because.....

It's July 1 and those lights are STILL ON!

There is a red strand and a multicolor strand (the white strand died), and one blue candle in a window (there used to be two).  I think they are leaving them on until they all die out on their own.

I have not used this run route in two months.  I ran in utter anticipation of whether those lights would still be on.  It took me over an hour to get there. It had become a game week after week to see if those lights were still on, but since it's been a couple of months, I wasn't sure what to expect this time.

It made my day to see those lights still lit up in all their haphazard glory...

Red, white and blue. They were probably taken down when you weren't going by and now they are back up for the 4th of July.

There is a trailer we drive by that is always well decorated for Christmas and their lights stay on year round. The inflatable Santa and snowman in the yard are still out but they don't inflate them. My wife brought this up at a dinner party one night and one of the older ladies explain, " It's OK it's a southern thing"?

2010-07-01 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2955790

User image

Veteran
Newport News
pschriver - 2010-07-01 11:31 AM
maria40nc - 2010-07-01 9:10 AM Ok.. this is an old thread, but I just had to update it because.....

It's July 1 and those lights are STILL ON!

There is a red strand and a multicolor strand (the white strand died), and one blue candle in a window (there used to be two).  I think they are leaving them on until they all die out on their own.

I have not used this run route in two months.  I ran in utter anticipation of whether those lights would still be on.  It took me over an hour to get there. It had become a game week after week to see if those lights were still on, but since it's been a couple of months, I wasn't sure what to expect this time.

It made my day to see those lights still lit up in all their haphazard glory...

Red, white and blue. They were probably taken down when you weren't going by and now they are back up for the 4th of July.

There is a trailer we drive by that is always well decorated for Christmas and their lights stay on year round. The inflatable Santa and snowman in the yard are still out but they don't inflate them. My wife brought this up at a dinner party one night and one of the older ladies explain, " It's OK it's a southern thing"?

That's not Southern... That is pure redneck... A true Southerner would be mortified to break decorum and disgrace their home in such a way... People mistake Southerners and rednecks as the same all the time... not the case at all...
2010-07-01 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2625726

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Maybe you found Jingle Dale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwlXf5Tnq0&feature=related (marginally nsfw)

2010-07-01 3:43 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I wonder if the owner's dead. Hmmm. Does it smell funny when you run by?

2010-07-01 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Ok... I drove by after work and those lights were not on.  They must actually turn them on every night and off every day.

I guess I'll continue to look forward to those lights week after week.  Until one day they will be gone.

... and what a sad day that will be.

Maybe I'll revive this thread in a few months with an update.  I'm sure you'll all be waiting with baited breath for when those lights go out...
2010-07-01 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2625863

User image

Veteran
Fairbanks
AlanaF - 2010-01-21 4:59 AM In Alaska everyone leaves their Christmas lights ON until the Iditarod, the first part of March.  It helps people cope with the dark I think.  Maybe they moved from there??

A lot of people here (Fairbanks) leave them up all year round! In the winter, they're holiday lights. In the summer, we call it mood lighting! 

2010-07-02 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2956949

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
Well, I guess I am the only person who appreciates the Christmas year round. With over 20,000 lights and a computer controlled display (with music) I find it quite funny that people are too lazy to pull them down the first week of January. There are people in my area who have them on their house still but do not turn them on.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Enough with the Christmas lights already! Rss Feed  

of 2