General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Manhattan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Manhattan - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New York, New York
United States
New York Road Runners
37F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 42s
Overall Rank = 2705/5441
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 421/661
Pre-race routine:

Not sure if you count the shot of NyQuil (walmart equivalent actually) as pre-reace routine. Been fighting a cough/throat thingy for almost a week. Set everything out the night before, made sure everything was charged or mixed and ready to go. Set the alarm for 3:45am so I could catch the 4:57am train to 125th street. Train ride in was uneventful, caught the 4 down to 86th street and than walked to 89th to pick up my bib number. Followed some people to the event to drop off my bag and get ready.
Event warmup:

Actually was able to run a few warm-up laps prior to the event, drank half a fuel bottle of my FLUID mix and half a bottle of my Gatorade bottle. Really was missing Kelly, just wasn't the same with no one there. Got to my corral in time and took my carb mix waiting for the gun to go off.
Run
  • 1h 54m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't run since Disney 2 weeks ago due to recovery and then getting sick so my goals were pretty aggressive (miles between 7-7:30, break 100 minutes, negative splits after mile 8). Everything is geared towards Ironman 70.3 in July so in many aspects these runs are each experiments to test nutrition, strategy, or performance. I started out strong but got side-stiches around mile 3.5. Knew this was from lack of fluids and think it might be related to the NyQuil stuff I took since I don't normally get this. Decided to "walk through" the aid stations to make sure that I got enough hydration with hopes of making up the time. Of course first aid station was right before the Harlem hill! was able to recover but never was the same after that. Walked through the other aid stations and looks like I spent 7 minutes doing that....but I needed to. Got back pain again which I got at Disney..also something not used to getting...on the train ride home I decided it might be due to the HRM strap being to tight...since the pain started to go away after I took it off...could it be that all the weigh lifting is paying off and its time to adjust the strap? Have to try a run without the strap and then again with it loosen a bit to determine if this is the cause/solution. Needless to say the back discomfort was a PAIN! Also felt as if I wasn't running with shoes...bottom of feet hurt...thinking this is due to cold and also not running recently...plus maybe the NY ground is still frozen and thus harder? maybe? could be? In the end I just wanted the run to be over.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I'm hydrated more prior to the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Spent a good deal of time walking down, lungs BURNED (cough throat thing) tried not to cough or breath really hard.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cough/throat thing I got

Event comments:

I knew I was going to go to this race regardless of the cough/throat thing. It's part of the 9+1 needed to get a spot in the 2011 NYC marathon (which is on the list). I also knew that the race would count as long as I started. I most likely should not have run at all and get some medicine but...I also wanted to see how I would react to pain/discomfort/mental issues because I know the IronMan 70.3 in July will HURT HURT HURT. This race worked out well in the schedule. Soon after Disney so two HM in 2 weeks is something special. It's enough time to recover and prepare for Shamrock and also lots of time before July, in case something really bad happened. As I get closer to Shamrock I'll need to start taking less chances as that is the 16-week mark before IM 70.3. This was a race I did understanding the risks but it was well worth the knowledge about myself that I gained.

Last updated: 2010-01-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:42 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 2242/661
Overall: 2705/5441
Performance: Below average
1 00:07:37 2 00:07:35 3 00:07:33 4 00:08:26 5 00:08:43 6 00:08:20 7 00:08:35 8 00:09:24 9 00:08:42 10 00:09:15 11 00:09:11 12 00:09:09 13 00:09:50 14 00:02:15
Course: Challenging 2 loop course with a strong hill around mile 4 and then again mile 10. NYC is not flat!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-01-24 1:52 PM

User image

Subject: NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Manhattan
Here is the cool Garmin Connect data:

http://connect.garmin.com/player/23119087

Edited by dkazup 2010-01-24 1:54 PM

2010-01-24 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2631784

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: RE: NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Manhattan
Nice job! Especially since you did Disney 2 weeks ago. Way to tough it out!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Manhattan Rss Feed