General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Albany to Lake Placid".....for dummies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-12 5:43 PM

Champion
Subject: "Albany to Lake Placid".....for dummies
Without going into great details, let it be known that a certain BT member who is a commercial airline pilot, decided to pick up a 2nd BT member at the Albany NY airport and drive him and herself (party #1) up I-87 NORTH to Lake Placid for the 1/2 marathon. A second party already ensconced in Lake Placid received a cell phone call. Party #1 explains to Party #2 that they are indeed at "Exit 30 where it says we are to get off to go to Lake Placid" but in truth, Party #1 is at Exit #30 on I-90 WEST instead...headed towards Niagara Falls.

Party #2 is dumbfounded and begins to think that the airline pilot in Party #1 probably works for Wong Way Airlines. Evidence to this assumption grows as later in the evening when Party #1 FINALLY hooks up with Party #2 and said airline pilot admits to flying "on the job" by using IFR......which in airline vernacular means "I Follow Roads". Hmmmmm, maybe, but obviously not too well.

Party #2 makes a disclaimer that in no way was he responsible for the bone-headed play made by the pilot in Party #1. He also admits that this disclosure probably insures that he will be hassled in the future by the airline pilot in Party #1, but that he is firing the first cannon shot...just because he got home first!

All references to persons living or dead in this post are purely coincidental, and assumptions made as to who the persons are in either party are purely the readers choice.

We now return you to your regular reading habits.

Edited by max 2005-06-12 6:06 PM

2005-06-12 6:15 PM
in reply to: #173369

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: "Albany to Lake Placid".....for dummies
too freakin funny!  Does this mean that there will be no race report from party # 1 and how about party # 2?

2005-06-12 6:18 PM

Champion
See race report from Party #2 who admits that those in Party #1 kicked his a$$
2005-06-12 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
I guess her FMS was MEL'd.
2005-06-12 7:27 PM

Online or Offline

OUCH OUCH OUCH I don't know who said airline pilot is, but said person should be damn ashamed of being a pilot. Didn't this person also come up about 7 miles short on a particular Cycle for Sight 75-miler? I don't think this person follows directions very well. Maybe the pilot is due to get said party's EYES checked Stay away from Wrong Ways Airlines, located in Terminal B, Logan Airport. Be glad you land in the correct country if you do!

Or maybe Party #2 was TRYING go get us off track!! Yes Party #2 kicked Pilot's ass by 10 minutes, but pilot also beat said author, AKA O.P. otherwise known as Original Poster, by approximately that same amount of time! Hmmmmmmmmm??? Maybe if OP quit flirting and chatting up with the pretty ladies at the race, and JUST FRIKING RUN, he'd have done that 2:05!

Or did OP run slower because he LOST HIS (illegal) MP3 player on the course?!! 

Edited by TypeA Girl Pilot 2005-06-12 7:30 PM
2005-06-12 7:36 PM

Online or Offline

AND

Good damn thing that on this 2006 IM Reconnaisance Sortie, that said pilot has decided to forego the highly touted IM USA course, as as an athlete, (s)he is in fact not interested in looking for her T2 in Nigara Falls. I shall recommend to her IM FL, there will be NO HILLS there to obscure important signage.

I bet that is why Party #2 navigated pilot in the wrong direction. DAMN HILLS hiding the signs. THAT'S IT!

2005-06-12 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

ROFLMAO!!!

You have to understand one thing, drivers from Massachusetts are directionally impaired.  Have you ever tried to get anywhere in that state?  It's a toss up which state has the worst road signs, Massachusetts or New Jersey.  My worst getting lost stories are from those two states.

Besides pilots don't follow signs.  Have you ever seen a sign on a cloud saying "turn here for Lake Placid'?  They get the control center to tell them where they are.  Next time load your bikes on her plane, and have her fly you there.

2005-06-12 8:55 PM

Champion
I'm not saying anything. I just KNOW you're gonna change your mind when you come up and actually WATCH the IMLP. The next day you'll be standing in line saying "Where do I sign?"

Besides, those MP3 players are only "illegal" in triathlons. Does it count at all that I didn't even listen to one song on it?
2005-06-13 12:01 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Now that I am home and able to defend myself, I STILL claim that I was asleep when the alleged exit was missed!

All I know is it looks like I  missed a lot of parties.

I will vouch for the severity of the hills (2 of them). Who woulda figured they'd make us run up the ski jump?

Whats it worth to ya to hear about the return trip Max? (Blocked in by a parade, Interstate detours, traffic back-ups, yada-yada-yada).  Had Wrong-Way Feldman not gone supersonic returning me to the airport, I would have been driving thru Niagra Falls tonite to get home. 

But I must say in all sincerity, I did appreciate the saving of rental car cost thru someone's generosity.  What is that saying about "no good deed goes unpunished"?

And I really did enjoy meeting up with you and Patti, Max!   One cool thing about this website is the new friends you make at races or training events, that although you've never actually met them, you feel like you've known them a long time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Albany to Lake Placid".....for dummies Rss Feed