RunDenver
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m
Overall Rank = 25/315
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 7/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 1hr before the start, got changed as quick as possible and drove down to the race. Got there around 9:20, got my bib # and chip. Met up with a friend at 9:30, waited around until 9:45 because others were supposed to show as well, but never did. Stretched, tried to jog around, but still had like 24oz of Gatorade sloshing around in me.
Event warmup:

jogged a bit, got the heart rate to 120bpm, but nothing more than some stretching and a few jogs up and down the road.
Run
  • 22m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I took the first mile too fast and paid for it for the next 2.1. I think I would have been better off sticking to 7:15, 7:00 and then seeing if I could go sub 7:00 the last 1.1 miles.

First time using the Nike Mayflys. Got a blister around 1.5miles into it on my right foot from not having it tied as tight as I needed. Overall the shoes were good, but I wouldn't want to use them for anything longer than 5k.

With everything I could have done better, I still did my fastest 5k since I restarted running. Still looking to go sub 20 again though.
What would you do differently?:

not drink as much gatorade 30 minutes before the race. Take the first mile out more conservatively. Wake up earlier than just an hour before the race start.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged back up to .1 before the finish to cheer on others and see Dana finish up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That first mile, first time using those shoes.... oh... and that I'm just not that fast yet (It was my fastest 5k since high school though... so I'm not complaining, just commenting on how to improve)

Last updated: 2010-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:00 | 03.11 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/28
Overall: 25/315
Performance: Good
First mile was a 6:28, definitely too fast off the start for me, second mile was 7:25 trying to recover from that and then managed a 7:14 for the final mile. The other .1 basically makes up the rest of the time
Course: Washington Park, all paved, not too many hills, but a few that just kind of roll around the park. Overall a good course that I'm hoping to do really well on since I'll be racing there again in a month.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes