General Discussion Race Reports! » McDowell Mountain Frenzy 5k Trail run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

McDowell Mountain Frenzy 5k Trail run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fountain Hills, Arizona
United States
Aravaipa Running
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 36s
Overall Rank = 20/57
Age Group = old
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Keeping warm in the car while helping my son with his homework.
Event warmup:

Hug the heaters
Run
  • 30m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I went out and did something!!! The 10miler would have been too much for my current fitness level, so I am glad I dropped to the 5k. that was hard enough! This trail was very different from Pemberton, as this one was just a constant up and down into very steep washes. On top of that we had rain, and rain, and rain for days prior to the race, so the washes were mushy and the trails had deep grooves cut into them by the rain. In the last mile we were in an area called the Clay Pit. Less litle rocks, and more mushy, muddy clay. Sometimes your foot would go squishing into really mushy stuff, and you worried that you would not come out with your shoe still attached! I felt good about my effort. Eventhough I was out of shape, I pushed it and giving it my all the whole time. I know the time doesn't really look like it....but this trail is VERY different then running a flat road 5k. Was awesome to see Paulette and John (TexinAZ) before their 25k, and Jen and Josh as they walked up 5min before their 10 miler!!
What would you do differently?:

Be in shape enough to do the race I signed up for!
Post race
Event comments:

They put out a nice spread. For a small running club, they really do run nice races. Lots of food at the end, and well organized.

Last updated: 2010-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:36 | 03.11 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 20/57
Performance:
Course: Competitive Track desert trails. Constant up and down into steep washes
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-01-25 9:04 AM

Pro
AZ
Subject: McDowell Mountain Frenzy 5k Trail run

2010-01-25 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2632897

User image

Regular
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: McDowell Mountain Frenzy 5k Trail run
It's hard to come back after an Ironman when work has been beating you up left and right.  It was great to see you out there though.  Hopefully, it got your mind off your work for a while. Now just sign up for the 25k in the White Tanks in March with the rest of us and you'll feel a lot better. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » McDowell Mountain Frenzy 5k Trail run Rss Feed