General Discussion Race Reports! » MRTC Winter Cross Country Race Series 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MRTC Winter Cross Country Race Series 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bartlett, Tennessee
United States
Memphis Runners Track Club
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 7s
Overall Rank = 65/377
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/26
Pre-race routine:

I ate a turkey and swiss cheese sandwich about 1.5 hours before race start. I packed my gear and left for the race site so that I would be there an hour before race start for warm up.
Event warmup:

I had hoped to run the race course as a warm up. However, the course was loaded with mud and water. I wanted to keep my shoes dry as long as possible, so I ran a 3 mile warm up on the roads. I then ran 3-4 100 meter strides and headed to start line several minutes before the race started.
Run
  • 27m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

We had a lot of rain overnight and the trail system was very muddy and flooded in places, making for a very challenging course. There were only a few opportunities to pass on the single track trail with the muck, roots, hairpin turns, and uneven footing. With each pass, there was the risk of slipping/sliding into fellow competitors and knocking them off the course. I elected to play it safe and trailed behind one or two single file groups for most of the race. Plodding through the mud and water took its toll on my legs. My lower body felt like dead weight by the end of the run. A fun and muddy adventure run.
What would you do differently?:

Hope for a drier course.
Post race
Warm down:

I ran a little over 4 miles after the race to complete my goal of running 10.5 miles today. My legs felt heavy during the run, but it was okay going slow and steady and on dry roads.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wet trail conditions.

Event comments:

This was a good race and the 2nd of 4 races of the MRTC Winter Cross Country Race Series. This was likely the muddiest trail system that I have ever run. I'm discovering that cross country racing is a completely different animal from road racing. Despite the difficult course conditions, it was still a lot of fun to run and stomp through the mud and maneuver through the various trail obstacles.

Last updated: 2010-01-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:07 | 03.11 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/26
Overall: 65/377
Performance: Average
Mile 1 split - 9:01, AHR 166 bpm, MHR 177 bpm, Mile 2 - 9:15 AHR 171 bpm, MHR 177 bpm, Mile 3 - 9:15 AHR 174 bpm MHR 184 bpm
Course: A very muddy and wet course with many turns, several creek crossings, a few narrow wooden bridge crossings, and a couple of log crossings. There were several sections of the course where runners ran 5-10 yards through 6-8" deep puddles. Footing was very tricky from start to finish. I thought it was a very challenging 5k off-road run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-01-26 3:07 PM

User image

Germantown, TN
Subject: MRTC Winter Cross Country Race Series 5k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MRTC Winter Cross Country Race Series 5k Rss Feed