Overall Rank = 628/2532
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 43/208
Swim
  • 27m 53s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Easy swim, enjoyed it. #1 goal was to relax, keep going, steady pace, make good time, but not get tired, take it easy, long day ahead. Achieved goal. Was having so much fun the finish snuck up on me, had to make a hard turn for the exit.
What would you do differently?:

More time in the pool, but no complaints.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Flew through T1, just as practiced. Never sat down, only bent over once -- as suit when down, I wiped feet on towel, put on socks, grabbed helment, stood up, helment on, grabbed bike and went. Ran 20 ft past mob at blue line, flying leap, started pedaling. I had practiced the exit and decided I could jog confidently with socks on. I wiped sock bottoms with hand while rolling and slipped into shoes. Put on sunglasses underway.

Not a thing. Nailed it.
Bike
  • 2h 44m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Road to my HR targets. Low zone 3 first third. Upper Z3 second third. Low Z4 last third. Stuck to my nutrition plan -- drank every 10 minutes, ate every 20 minutes. Tried to get 300 calories an hour. Hit last gel shot about 2 miles to go. Hit last Gatorade about 1/2 mile to go.

Not a thing. Nailed it. Could have gone harder, but was saving something for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Flew through T2. I had taped a red swim cap to the rack on the end at the running lane, and I had identified visual clues -- aisle aligned with a South African flag at the end -- so I ran straight to my stuff. After that it doesn't take long to rack bike, drop helment, slip on shoes and go.

Not a thing. Nailed it.
Run
  • 2h 03m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Motored through mile 1, high cadence, short strides. Legs were ok. Then in mile 2 I began to notice a pain in the outside of my right foot. I don't know what, but it was right under where my bike shoe buckle pulls tight. Perhaps I had my bike shoe too tight. The pain worsened until I had to walk about a half mile, limping. I've run 7 marathons and never felt anything this painful. I thought I was done. I decided I'd just walk the remaining 10 miles. I started chatting with a cute girl "are you walking by design or of necessity?" "me too" After a couple of minutes, we agreed to try to jog a minute then walk a minute. The pain didn't change, but I limp/jogged then limp/walked. It was peircing. I came as close to just quitting as I've ever come. I though something must certainly be broken. After a couple of more jog a minute walk a minute cycles, I decided it wasn't getting any worse, I could jog 3 walk 1. I was worried it would be a problem for months to come, I was worried about quitting, etc. I got a gel at an aid station and the sugar helped my attitude. I don't remember when it got better, but I remember during mile 6 thinking I hadn't noticed it in a while. I was grabbing water, gatorade, sponges, anything they were pushing at the aid stations - it was HOT. In mile 7 I was running again. Some where in miles 10 or 11 I was fading, but grabbed another gel and was enthused again. I averaged like 9:45 for the first 10k, and 9:05 for the second. I was sub 9 for the last two, feeling tired, but going strong and heading for the barn!

Not tighten my bike shoes too much? Don't know. Nutrition plan worked well.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled through finish line, blanket, medal, water, fruit, pizza, beer, and crashed on the ground in the sun. Got up for another round of water, pizza and beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pain in foot on run.

Event comments:

Well organized. Lots of volunteers. The military volunteers were inspiring. I said "thanks" to many, and 100% responded "YES SIR" or "thank YOU sir", etc. Inspiring. I wrote the base commander to praise his troops.

Last updated: 2009-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:53 | 2143 yards | 01m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/208
Overall: 1115/2532
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: In fresh water river, with the current. Some river weeds and grass. Course: straight down river, bank on right, bouys on left, easy navigation. Everyone did PR times (current aided).
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:44:02 | 56 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/208
Overall: 562/2532
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Flat to easy rolling up hill for first 30 miles. A few long gradual climbs, and more rolling for next 15 miles. Easy rolling to downhill for last 11 miles. Good mix. Fast course. Mostly good pavement, a few rough stretches. A few welcome shady stretches. No complaints.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good