General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week-long hand numbness after bike ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-13 7:34 AM

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
Subject: Week-long hand numbness after bike ride
Last weekend (June 5) I rode for 42 miles on the bike. About mile 30 I noticed that the fingers on my right hand were not strong enough to push the shifter. I had to use the side of my hand (almost the knuckles) to shift.

I didn't feel the numbness until I got home. I was trying to cup water with my hands in the shower and could not bring my ring and middle finger together. I also noticed that the side and bottom of my hand from the base of the pinky to my wrist was numb, and I had trouble keeping my fingers straight and together at the same time.

So it's been a week now, and things improved but not much. The side of my hand still feels numb and I still can't completely straighten out my fingers and keep them together at the same time. It's a real problem in the pull. The water just goes straight through the fingers.

I think I am going to see a doc this week, but thought I'd ask here. Any ideas?

Typing, while it was difficult at the beginning of the week, is obviously not a problem anymore.

2005-06-13 2:07 PM
in reply to: #173662

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Week-long hand numbness after bike ride
Sounds like you are suffering from cyclist palsy.  Happens when you extend/hyperextend you wrist for to long a period.  Very similiar to carpal tunnel syndrome and you notice the symptoms going away with time.  You can take an NSAID to help relieve any inflammation you may have and just work on range of motion, that will act as a muscle pump to move any swelling out.  If the nerve itself is inflammed that may take long and you may need to see a doctor about that.  In the future, work on keeping you wrist straight while on the bike and giving your hands a break every once in a while.
2005-06-15 12:26 PM
in reply to: #174025

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
Subject: RE: Week-long hand numbness after bike ride
Jeffrey,

Thanks for the reply!

Went to see a doc, and she said that the ulnar nerve was inflamed and gave me a prescription for a corticosteroid and told me to keep the hand on and then off ice.

Lots of Gators on this site. I wish I was doing tris when I was there four years ago.

-Bonker (Victor)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week-long hand numbness after bike ride Rss Feed