General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Floridians I need Advice!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-29 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Floridians I need Advice!!
This was posted in COJ but someone mentioned I put it up here... Hope you all can help!

HI Folks,

My DH and I (and our 1 year old) are hoping to go to Florida for the second week of March. My dad has a place booked for the month in Davenport (which I think is a suburb of Orlando) – so we are seizing the opportunity for free digs. Anyway, I am looking for some ideas on the best and most exciting things to do in the Orlando area! We are planning to go to Disney of course. We are hoping to do one day with just the two of us, and then bring the baby for the next day. We are trying to cash in on the Give a Day thing… but it is proving to be a challenge.

What about Busch Gardens (vs Disney)… would it be better for us to go to one or the other with a 1 year old.

I hear Cape Canaveral is only about an hour and a half away…

Should we try to go to Miami??

I have heard FL has been getting some pretty crappy weather. What can we expect? Will we be able to swim in the ocean? We are coming from Canada, so I can guarantee the weather will be better than it is here, but should we bring shorts and tees, or jackets and pants?

Anything else?

Again, family friendly things are good. We will likely rent a car... but want to always be able to bunk down in Davenport.

I thought of trying to do a tri while I was in Florida… but it seems too complex to try and get a bike and arrange the whole thing… and I am worried about Alligators!! ?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by irondog 2010-01-29 11:34 AM

2010-01-29 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2642616

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: Floridians I need Advice!!
whoa.. i'll tackle a few.

* weather in March - usually windy but 60s (+/-) much nicer than anywhere in CAN
* Miami - forget it - it's a 3.5 hr drive each way
* Cape Canaveral - so, so , better if you make it a beach trip, there you will probably be able to swim depending on your tolerance to water temp but it will be around 65-75F (just a guess).  I belv there is the Pineappleman Tri that month (search races) . 
* You can also go to Daytona Bch or Clearwater Bch (my favrite) but count on making this a full day event. 

Thou I live near Tampa and enjoy Busch Gdns lots, you get more choices w/ the Disney parks, plus it will require a 75 min drive ea way to get to BG, while only 15-20 to Disney. 

That said, shorts and tees might be in order for your family trip - enjoy! 

The comments above are the sole opinion of the writer and BT is not resp....   LOL 
2010-01-29 8:30 PM

User image

Orlando, FL
Hey, 
I see that Davenport is west of Orlando so I would recommend bagging the plans to go over to the Atlantic.  Unless you're really into aerospace.  It is nice, but since you are over on that west side of town, St Petersburg or Clearwater would be a bit more convenient and probably nicer for a couple enjoying some time while the baby is being looked after.  Even if you decide to bring the baby it will be a great time.  
I think the weather would be nice enough to spend a day at http://www.discoverycove.comif you want to do the pretend you're in the Caribbean thing for the day.  It's not cheap though. 

If you are really stoked on doing a tri this is a good race and it appears to be well timed with your visit:
http://www.buttar.com/events/triathlon/WildmanTri/index.htm
Personally though, I would enjoy the vacation and not do a tri, but I would definitely make plans to swim Lucky's Lake  www.luckyslakeswim.com  
It is a lot of fun and there are often people running afterwards on a Saturday.  The logistics of bringing or getting a bike lead me to suggest this.  It's right near universal.  You can always crash the pool at the Hard Rock or another sweet hotel if you're into that.  (I am).  

I remember the weather being very nice last March.  I did Wildman last year without a wetsuit and it was not cold.  I went to a party at the beach later that day in St Pete and I remember it got pretty hot.  
I've never been to Busch Gardens, so I'm not sure about that.  The Disney Parks are all pretty good but if it's just the three of you maybe not, as you would want to trade off babysitting duties to go on a coaster or other ride once in a while.  

I live in Orlando, but these are just some ideas for a fellow Canuck.  I hope this helps.  

2010-01-29 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Seaworld trumps Disney in my book.

2010-01-30 10:47 PM

User image

Expert
Davenport is south of Orlando, at the intersection of US 27 and I4, close to the center of the state and only a couple of exits from Disneyworld, so that is much more convenient. Taking the tour of Cape Canaveral is cool. Ron Jon Surf Shop at Cocoa Beach is also cool and you can try your hand at surfing. If you dive, drive down to Key Largo for some great diving.

I am doing the Gator Half triathlon on March 21, but it looks like you will be gone by then. Yeah, there are alligators, but in March they are sluggish and not a threat.
2010-01-31 6:43 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

The weather will be fine by march.  With a 1 year old I would DEFINATELY do the disney thing at least do Magic Kingdom.  Universal has a Dr. Suess area which I think is the cuteset thing ever esp with a little one.  If you want to splurge to the discovery cove thing with your hubby (Leave the child with family that day)  Its expensive but its an awesome all inclusive day.  Discovery cove/Sea world/busch gardens are all owned by the same company so usually if you pay for a day at Discovery cove you also get passes for sea world and Busch as well and you can take ababy there for free.   Look it up on line.  If you REALLY want to go to the beach the water will be warm enough but you will find plenty to do without the schlep. 

2010-02-03 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the ideas!! I have to say I am super stoked for the Discovery Bay!! AWESOME!! Thanks for that.

I also had some good ideas on COJ!! Either way, I am looking forward to having a vacation. The last trip my hubbie and I took was a Camping Road trip to Seattle and Olympic National Park about 6 years ago. It will be nice to go somewhere warm and fun and actually have a shower too!!

Cheers all,
2010-02-23 8:51 PM

User image

Master
I would also say that disney is generally better for a 1 yr old, but a 1 yr old will probably be just as happy with a glossy brochure and a nice cardboard box.
Universal Studios in Orlando isn't bad either, not sure about kid stuff there.
2010-02-23 9:39 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
the husband and kid might not enjoy this but it is a MUST if you are in the area!!!

Luckyslakeswim.com  Bring a wetsuit...week days at 6:30am, saturdays 7:45am.  It is free, and an experience you won't forget!!  Plus, you get a prize when you are done and get to sign Lucky's wall!!! 
2010-03-04 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2646166

User image

New user
Socks - 2010-01-31 7:43 PM

The weather will be fine by march.

Oh really? :-P It was below freezing on my morning ride up in Gainesville this morning! Where's that Florida weather hiding?

Back on topic, doesn't Disney have the new Harry Potter park that I keep seeing ads for? Or is that not open yet?

Also, I am a huge fan of Cirque du Soleil. Their Orlando show I hear is fabulous, and they just hired the best juggler in the world to become part of their act! (So definitely check it out if you're into juggling.)

Edited by Marty McCrory 2010-03-04 1:18 PM
2010-03-04 4:08 PM

Veteran
Lost, Florida
Harry Potter is at Universal, I don't think it opens until May.  I  have a 2 and 3 year old and I would think the Magic Kingdom would be best.  Sea World is ok, but you get more at Disney for the money.  I haven't been to Bush Gardens yet.  Enjoy your trip.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Floridians I need Advice!! Rss Feed