United States
27F / -3C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 15m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00, showered and head out for the 1.5 hour drive down to Callaway Gardens. Went in the wrong entrance (On the back side of the gardens that cost me about 20 minutes and had me running pretty close to starting time by the time I got parked, went in and picked up my number, and pot all my stuff ready for a cold day of running...)
Event warmup:

Not much - Walked out of the heated building along with everyone else and lined up - It's a really small race, so I was lined up about in the middle of the mixed marathoners and half-runners...
Run
  • 2h 15m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My knee hasn't fully recovered from Kiawah full marathon six weeks ago, so I just planned to take it really easy from the beginning - I'm doing Mercedes half in Birmingham in just two weeks with some friends so I just plugged in my iPod, kept the HR low, and ran easy the whole way... I picked up the pace about a minute per mile faster the final mile just to make sure the knee was alright Sore, but held up... Actually finished a little faster than I'd thought...
What would you do differently?:

Go to the right entrance to ease some of the stress worrying if I would get there late -- Nothing really, though, on the run -- I'd just planned on taking it easy and finishing and that's what I did --
Post race
Warm down:

Went in the big, heated circus tent, ate a couple of cookies and a banana, and drank some Gatorade, then headed home to attend a commitment in the afternoon... (I did stop at a local convenience store and changed into some dry cloths though - Cold, wet, and stinky for an hour and a half drive home would have been more than miserable...

Event comments:

It's a small race with very few volunteers or fans, but, you know that going in, so it's not a complaint, just an observation...

Last updated: 2009-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:00 | 13.1 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Loop course running around thd through the gardens - Mostly roads and some bike paths - All pavement - First 5 miles were flat to rolling - Miles 5-10 were sort of hilly - 10-finish was back to flat to rolling...
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-01-31 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Callaway Gardens Half Marathon

2010-01-31 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2645840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Callaway Gardens Half Marathon

Good time this morning.  There was a small cheering section at the 8 mile turnaround which was funny, about 6 people with cowbells.  Me and another guy were the only ones on that stretch so they cheered for us when we passed, then turned around with the signs and cheered again.

I definately like the smaller crowds, especially for that race, the cart paths around mile 10 wouldn't be too much fun if there were a ton of people.

Later!  Time for me to ice the knees.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Callaway Gardens Half Marathon Rss Feed