Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-02-01 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2646321

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
Subject: RE: Do you sleep with your k-9's

Yep,  my husband tried the no dog on the furniture rule.  It lasted a week or so.

We are now trying to convince our dog she would have more room to spread out if she sleeps with our 3 year old.  She will go to bed with her, but get up to go outside before we go to bed and make her way quietly into our bed.  Usually with her head on my pillow.

If it gets cold enough we get the cats too.  Though they usually sleep on "their" bed in the spare room.

2010-02-02 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Yep...

our Basset Hound likes to sleep on the bed about 50% of the time....he is still a pup so he is figuring out a routine(hope he figures it out soon...i miss sleeping all night)......wouldnt trade him for the world though...Laughing

our Border Collie sleeps on the floor.....he used to sleep with us when he was a pup.....

Jb
2010-02-02 9:07 AM

User image

wisconsin
We have a 2 year old Jack Russell that sleeps in the bed with us.  We actually have a special blanket for her that we hold up like a tent and she walks under and circles around and then gets tucked in.  Pretty sad, but it works.  The week old puppy is crated at night and will not be sleeping in the bed.  He will be about 50 lbs and due to having a 100 year old home, we physically can't get anything larger than a Queen size bed upstairs to fit all of us.
2010-02-02 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

The plan was that KC, our sweet chocolate lab, would not sleep in our bed or get on the furniture. She was happy in her crate, which was in our room, and she was easy to keep off the couch. Until...

• I got the flu. When I was napping on the couch she hopped up and cuddled with me. She was only about 6 months old at the time, and it was so darn cute, and I was so sick, I couldn't say no.
  • I moved to MS and left my family back in VA. It was 6 months before they could join me, and in the interim, KC figured out that hubby is a very sound sleeper and she could sneak up onto the bed without him ever knowing.

We decided whatever about the couch and club chair. They're leather and relatively easy to keep clean. (I'm all for hard surfaces and non-cloth fabrics for our house. Too much hair from the dog, cats, and me.)

I did try to hold the line on the bed. KC figured out that she had to ask permission first from me, and I would usually let her up right before I was getting out. She used to use my alarm clock as her cue, but for some reason she started "asking" earlier and more frequently. I would say, in response to the flapping ears and cold nose, "KC, go to bed," which is her command to go to her crate. She would, and then 3 minutes later, come back to my side of the bed.

I hate to admit it, but I caved.

So, KC and I sleep together. Hubby joins us at some point. We are thinking about getting a second dog, and I know our queen bed will not accomodate two labs and their people.

The good thing is KC will still get off when told. And will still go to her crate. So, we are considering making the crate mandatory for sleeping...at least, most of the night. (And bed okay when no one is in it.)

Edited by kvesey 2010-02-02 10:28 AM
2010-02-02 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Our 1 year old Boxer (Cooper) does not sleep in the bed with us, but the cat does.  Cooper has his own bed next to our bed.
2010-02-02 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Dog is allowed up only when I'm sick to comfort me. He is waaaay to big to sleep with us. He has his own bed, but I have caught him on the couch a whole bunch of times.

2010-02-02 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
We have three dogs and no sleeping on the bed. They all have their nice big comfy floor pillows they sleep on.  Surprisingly, or maybe not, the wife made sure they didn't clash with the bedroom decor. Smile

They are allowed on the furniture in the TV room but not the formal living room furniture. 
2010-02-02 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Findlay
We have a lab/retriever mix and she was always allowed to sleep in bed with us.  We actually bought a queen size bed so there would be room for all of us! lol  However as she has gotten older (13 yrs now) she is unable to jump up onto the bed, or down for that matter, and is more comfortable in her own bed on the floor.
2010-02-02 3:21 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
No.  Do you know where his paws have been?

When I taught Jazz the no-dogs-in-bed rule his first night here, he was stricken.  ("Really???  Are you SURE???")  I was sure.

Since then he has no problems sleeping on his nice doggie bed next to my bed.  The ONE time I let him up was during a thunderstorm.  ("Really?  You sure?")  In a twin bed, 60 pounds of dog had me pinned pretty quick, so after about 5 minutes that was enough of that.  Luckily it was a short thunderstorm.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you sleep with your k-9's Rss Feed  

of 3