General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Tri building a bike need suggestions. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-31 9:58 PM

New user

Lighthouse Point, Florida
Subject: New to Tri building a bike need suggestions.
I'm new to all this, formally a Mtn. bike rider when I lived in TX.   While I was there a good friend of mine let me ride his Litespeed, so I was hooked on the brand, now just taking the plunge and gonna build one. 

I picked up a frame the other day, a 2003 Litespeed saber with fork, now I need to get the rest built.  I swore when I rode his it was sub 15lbs back in 01, but he crushed my dreams today and told me that it was over 18 and didn't even get down to under 17lbs until he put zipp wheels on it a year or so ago.  So with that said, I think if I get under 20 closer to 19 I'll be happy,  ahh maybe I'm being a weight weenie, but seems like most bike riders are to some extent. 

Is this saber frame a good start?  I looked around and it seems the only drastic change later on was the seat stays a few years later to a blade type, oh well, nothing major.  I was going to try to get all used parts to keep costs down,  but he talked me into getting at least new components.  So I decided to go with 2010 ultegra component group.  Probably with the larger sprockets to make up for having to use smaller 650c wheel size. Couldn't get 700c, it's a 49cm frame, and I'm rather short just touching 5'5", shorter than most inseam, so that was why I chose 49cm over 51cm and plus I couldn't pass up the deal on the frame.  Other than that, I'm hoping to surf ebay, forums ect.. and find the rest, bars, seat/post, pedals ect... Pretty much I am just stuck on which type of wheels I should shoot for.  Carbon? Aluminum?  Obviously I don't want to spend the cash for Zipps at this point just getting into the sport, but do you all have any suggestions?  What's the deal with the carbon tri spoke front wheel and solid rear wheel? Better aero dynamics?   I'll take any tips I can get.  Thanks in advance, Jonathan

2010-01-31 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2646516

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: New to Tri building a bike need suggestions.
Good luck with the build. It's a lot of work, but very rewarding.

650 wheels are considerably cheaper than 700's. I've seen tons of Zipp 404's go for under $500 in 650's. You should definitely be able to pick up some nice aero wheels on the cheap. Litespeed makes (made) good stuff, you should be happy on the Saber.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Tri building a bike need suggestions. Rss Feed