General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Branson : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-09-17 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3104189

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Branson : Official Thread
leclerc457 - 2010-09-17 9:44 AMgreatings from Branson!! we got in yesterday.  I rode a section of the bike course yesterday - looks worse then it really is! 

Can't wait for the race Sunday!!!

We are camping at Compton Ridge Campground - site 90...stop by if in the area!

See you all Sunday
yeah but you're from Colorado!

2010-09-17 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3104253

User image

New user

Owensboro
ballyard7 - 2010-09-17 10:06 AM
leclerc457 - 2010-09-17 9:44 AMgreatings from Branson!! we got in yesterday.  I rode a section of the bike course yesterday - looks worse then it really is! 

Can't wait for the race Sunday!!!

We are camping at Compton Ridge Campground - site 90...stop by if in the area!

See you all Sunday
yeah but you're from Colorado!

Now that's funny!
2010-09-17 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2652617

So i was looking at the bike profile for Branson compared to Kansas...Branson looks similar if not a bit easier....any other opinions?
2010-09-17 11:07 PM
in reply to: #3105565

User image

New user

Owensboro
PS069979 - 2010-09-17 9:58 PMSo i was looking at the bike profile for Branson compared to Kansas...Branson looks similar if not a bit easier....any other opinions?
Driving 465 it definitely seems harder than anything in Kansas 70.3. Kansas only had 2200 feet of climbing and Branson will be like 7000 right?
2010-09-18 12:39 AM

User image

Veteran
PS069979 - 2010-09-17 9:58 PM So i was looking at the bike profile for Branson compared to Kansas...Branson looks similar if not a bit easier....any other opinions?

Definitely going to have to disagree with you here.  The hills in Kansas were short and rolling so you could keep a little speed as you ascended.  These hills are very long and probably a bit steeper and you lose ALL momentum almost as soon as the climb starts.  You really need to see the two courses in person to understand the difference.  I kinda thought the same thing when I looked at the profiles.  Branson does have better descents though- these things are scary fast!
2010-09-18 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
PS069979 - 2010-09-17 9:58 PMSo i was looking at the bike profile for Branson compared to Kansas...Branson looks similar if not a bit easier....any other opinions?
no way...not even close. Ridden both courses. Branson will be 1-2mph slower on the bike.

2010-09-18 6:37 PM

User image

Pflugerville, TX
FYI....was posted on Twitter that Wetsuits WILL be legal for the race.
2010-09-18 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3106149

yep...just drove the course and I couldn't have been more wrong. These hills are gargantuan. Going to be a great test. Be careful on the descents.
2010-09-19 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3106183

User image

Expert
Tulsa
How did it go for everyone? That was a very tough race if you ask me. I've done 7 HIM's and that was the toughest. I mean the bike was hilly, but not super bad. But the run was soooo hot!!! Finished in 5:45. Would have been faster, but leg cramps go me on the last loop. I did a 5:25 at Kansas this year and I felt like I had good races at both. So that goes to show you the differences in the courses. Kansas was not flat by any means, but the hills were much shorter.
2010-09-19 9:35 PM

I did 5:04 in Kansas this year and 5:40 today at Branson. There is no comparison. Those hills were ridonkulous and the run was hotter than hell. Similarly, this was my seventh HIM and by far the mosts difficult. That's why we sign up for these races though, right? Good workout and test our mental and physical strength. That happened today. Congrats to all participants!!
2010-09-19 9:38 PM

Anyone know IM or WTC protocol is on lost and found. I left my pump and while I don't reallly care that much about it, if I can easily get it back, that would be nice! Thanks!

2010-09-19 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
That was a major struggle out there today for me.  Had a good swim and a good first lap on the bike, but it was a sufferfest from then on.  I was 5:50 @ KS and 6:25 today- lots of walking.

I was very impressed by how well everything was run.  For being an inaugural event I thought everything went very smooth.

A buddy of mine was talking to the race director and was told that almost 400 people dropped out of the race after seeing the bike course so congrats to all who stuck with it and finished.
2010-09-19 11:03 PM

User image

I did the Branson 70.3 as my first HIM. When we drove the bike course I almost dropped out of the race due to the massive hills (I believe in my age group about 20 people dropped out for some reason). I decided to stick it out since I had drove over 8 hrs to Branson to do the race, paid for it and was booked for a hotel. I'm amazed to say that I actually finished that horrendous bike course. I had a great swim but my bike ride took a crap on mile 50. The hills had finally took its tolls on my neck and I got a spasm in my neck as someone drove by me and I ended up in the ditch crashing somehow (I believe it the car spooked me by driving to close and since there are no shoulders here the only place to go when you get off course is the ditch/ravine). Proud to say I finished this race but will not be coming back to do it again. This is one of those races that I'm proud to say I finished in a much longer time than the rest of you are talking but at least I finished... NEVER AGAIN...
2010-09-20 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3107290

User image

Expert
Tulsa
tayjay - 2010-09-19 11:03 PMI did the Branson 70.3 as my first HIM. When we drove the bike course I almost dropped out of the race due to the massive hills (I believe in my age group about 20 people dropped out for some reason). I decided to stick it out since I had drove over 8 hrs to Branson to do the race, paid for it and was booked for a hotel. I'm amazed to say that I actually finished that horrendous bike course. I had a great swim but my bike ride took a crap on mile 50. The hills had finally took its tolls on my neck and I got a spasm in my neck as someone drove by me and I ended up in the ditch crashing somehow (I believe it the car spooked me by driving to close and since there are no shoulders here the only place to go when you get off course is the ditch/ravine). Proud to say I finished this race but will not be coming back to do it again. This is one of those races that I'm proud to say I finished in a much longer time than the rest of you are talking but at least I finished... NEVER AGAIN...
hey just finishing is as good as 4 hours if you ask me. I was done by 1:15 and was ready to get out of the sun. A couple of my buddies came in right at 3:30. Theywere out there over two hours longer than me in that blistering sun. Now that is tough. Yeah I was faster, but they were putting out the same effort at their own speed for two hours longer. There's something to be said for that. Congrats to everone who finished.
2010-09-20 8:00 AM

User image

Regular
Prairie Village, KS
I was 5:21 at Kansas and 6:02 here.  I had a great swim and first 2/3rds of the bike and then I just hit a wall.  I definitely should have gone out slower.  I had to convince myself not to quite at the end of the bike.  The run was a suffer fest.  Didn't run one full mile.  BUT, I finished and I am happy.

It was way harder than Kansas.  Bike course was much tougher and run was just brutally hot.  To all those to finished, congrats.  If you finished the race yesterday, you can do any HIM.
2010-09-20 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3107155

User image

Regular
Kirkwood, Mo.
ballyard7 - 2010-09-19 8:53 PM How did it go for everyone? That was a very tough race if you ask me. I've done 7 HIM's and that was the toughest. I mean the bike was hilly, but not super bad. But the run was soooo hot!!! Finished in 5:45. Would have been faster, but leg cramps go me on the last loop. I did a 5:25 at Kansas this year and I felt like I had good races at both. So that goes to show you the differences in the courses. Kansas was not flat by any means, but the hills were much shorter.

John first off nice race!  This was my first half and I loved it!  I really enjoyed the bike course, ( a little to much)  and I knew I would pay for it on the run.  That run was a suffer fest.  I finished an hour behind you but I am happy with the results.  Just wanted to finish and enjoy the experience.  Plenty more to do later and get faster.  Heck I have only been riding for 5 months and my run showed it. 

Again nice job and good luck on your upcoming IM.

2010-09-20 9:03 PM

User image

New user

This course was not hilly but mountainous!!! I finished in 5:37 but my bike suffered 3 hours... Lucky for me the heat and humidity was not a factor because I trained in 100 plus heat index down here in Memphis for two months. Congrats to all who finished! This course definately gets the most difficult rating on the 70.3 circuit
2010-09-20 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

If I recall they said there were 1500 registered.  results only list 981 finishers .  There were a lot of DNS/DNF's. 

2010-09-20 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3109077

User image

Regular
Kirkwood, Mo.
Buddha4 - 2010-09-20 10:44 PM

If I recall they said there were 1500 registered.  results only list 981 finishers .  There were a lot of DNS/DNF's. 

Looking at the death march at the end I would not be surprised.  It was a brutal run.
2010-09-21 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

It is still painful to tell this story and say these words, but I was a DNF (Did not finish). I had a great swim (1.2 miles in 39:16) and was working on a decent bike, when I had equipment failure.

I had a rear tire go flat prior to the race and was able to get that flat tire fixed before the swim. At mile 17 of the bike, the rear wheel went flat again. I was also able to change that tire and get going again. Mile 25, the rear tire flatted again and at mile 37 the rear tire flatted again. After the second flat, I was out of tubes and CO2 and had no other supplies to fix my flats. The support vans did help me twice, but it took them over 20 minutes to get to me each time. At mile 42, my front tire went flat and after 5 flats, there was no way I could make the cut off times. I was one of the last remaining bikes on the course and just like that, it was over. 7 months of hard work was gone.

A lot of the racers were very friendly, offering me whatever help I needed to get back on the road, but by the time the last flat happened, it was getting scarce out there. It is a very lonely feeling out on a closed highway pushing a bike, seeing mountain bikes passing you.

I do want to thank a fella named Steven and a woman named Mary for stopping and helping anyway they could. And countless other racers for asking if I needed anything on the course.

Turns out the issue causing my flats was the wheel tape that goes inside the rims that is suppose to protect the tube from any barbs cause by where the spokes meet the rim (sorry, best way I can describe it) The tape was somehow messed up and kept popping my tubes every 15 miles or so.

This was a very discouraging and frustrating day for me. I have already been asked if I will go back and finish the course. My reaction right now is that I am not in a mindframe to answer that question. I am so dang frustrated.

But my hats off to those that finish, you should be proud of what you accomplished! You all rock!

Edited by jford2309 2010-09-21 9:39 AM
2010-09-21 12:21 PM

User image

Regular
Binghamton
This was my first half and just my 5th tri....the run killed me!  I had a great swim (for me) and I am from CO so i have been riding hills all season to prep for this.  I was not too worried about the bike and what i was worried about was going too hard...and i did!  I did not drink enough and pushed a little too hard on the bike...I had all splits set in my head of what i wanted an I was just determined to get my bike split!  Yes i made a bad rookie mistake...went too hard!  That couple with the humidity which i am not used to, just drained me...as i was getting off the bike in T2 i got a massive cramp in my hamstring...almost dropped me!  it quickly went away then as i started my run, both quads cramped bad!  i had to walk about 1.5 miles drinking and sucking in GU gels to help get rid of them.  They finally went away and I was able to run. I did do lots of walking as I was afraid the cramps would return.  Overall i finished in 6:28 - ahead of my goal of 6:30 but i was really hoping to get closer to 6!  I learned lots from this race and will be better prepared for my next Half...For me the heat and humidity got me.  It was fun...will i do it again...not sure.

2010-09-21 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3109592

User image

Regular
Kirkwood, Mo.
jford2309 - 2010-09-21 9:38 AM

It is still painful to tell this story and say these words, but I was a DNF (Did not finish). I had a great swim (1.2 miles in 39:16) and was working on a decent bike, when I had equipment failure.

I had a rear tire go flat prior to the race and was able to get that flat tire fixed before the swim. At mile 17 of the bike, the rear wheel went flat again. I was also able to change that tire and get going again. Mile 25, the rear tire flatted again and at mile 37 the rear tire flatted again. After the second flat, I was out of tubes and CO2 and had no other supplies to fix my flats. The support vans did help me twice, but it took them over 20 minutes to get to me each time. At mile 42, my front tire went flat and after 5 flats, there was no way I could make the cut off times. I was one of the last remaining bikes on the course and just like that, it was over. 7 months of hard work was gone.

A lot of the racers were very friendly, offering me whatever help I needed to get back on the road, but by the time the last flat happened, it was getting scarce out there. It is a very lonely feeling out on a closed highway pushing a bike, seeing mountain bikes passing you.

I do want to thank a fella named Steven and a woman named Mary for stopping and helping anyway they could. And countless other racers for asking if I needed anything on the course.

Turns out the issue causing my flats was the wheel tape that goes inside the rims that is suppose to protect the tube from any barbs cause by where the spokes meet the rim (sorry, best way I can describe it) The tape was somehow messed up and kept popping my tubes every 15 miles or so.

This was a very discouraging and frustrating day for me. I have already been asked if I will go back and finish the course. My reaction right now is that I am not in a mindframe to answer that question. I am so dang frustrated.

But my hats off to those that finish, you should be proud of what you accomplished! You all rock!

Really sorry to hear that.  Was hoping you were going to have a good race.  I know you were looking forward to it.  Hope you keep at your training and take on another HIM.
2010-09-21 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Well, I finished my first HIM in 6:40. Overall, very pleased to say I finished. I didn't hit my overall time goal of sub 6, but based on the conditions and the comments by others about the difficulty level, I am satisfied for now.

I had a average swim, a pretty good bike and lost it on the run.  I had serious cramps after the first 20 minutes of running that lasted the rest of the race. I made a critical mistake of leaving my canister of Endurolytes in T1 and needed them on this hot and humid run! I now truly understand what it means to live off the course on the run as I ended up scrounging Endurolytes off of the ground at aid stations, where others had dropped some. I then ended up finding a dropped baggie of them on the course that lasted me the rest of the race. I know it was crazy, but I didn't care. I would have licked salt off of someone to get some more in my system.  I was just too far behind in depleting my electrolytes and couldn't stop the cramps.

I am excited to be able to say I did it.
2010-09-21 3:59 PM

User image

Regular
Boulder, CO
It was a really difficult day for me, and I think I was 49 minutes slower than my last 70.3 just because of the hills, heat, and humidity.  That said, I finished, didn't have any mechanicals, and it was a fine way to spend my birthday...

A number of the 'finishers' in the preliminary results didn't actually finish -- officials were pulling people from the run course, and making them run through the finish chute.  Of course, triathletes don't like to cheat so some refused to do so.  I really really wish there hadn't been that kind of handling by race officials. 

I loved the closed section of highway that was the majority of the bike course -- I mean, it was really hilly, which made me even slower, but it was so nice to have the whole road to work with, and the road was totally smooth amidst really pretty scenery.

The heat and humidity were crazy, though -- I'm not going back to Branson.
2010-09-22 10:36 AM

My first at that distance and proud to say I finished. Now on to IM Wisconsin 2011.
I was at Branson by myself (thus no pics), is there any web sites with race pics or individuals that posted some?
Thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Branson : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 7