General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fifth Third River Bank Run - 25K : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-05-09 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2653411

Subject: RE: Fifth Third River Bank Run - 25K : Official Thread

Well this was my first Fifth Third River Bank Run.  It compares to my hometown Crim but a little larger I believe.  I decided a few months ago that I wanted to do tris and used this race as training day and get out and be a little competitve. I signed up for the 10K and had a goal of 54 mins.  My legs have been tight and I have been running through shin splints for the last month so I didnt want to go out to hard.  

Weather I thought was good for running not hot...not too rainy we only got sprinkled on for about 2 mins. around mile marker 2.

What was the bummer part was I crossed the start line and we came to a stop for almost 30 seconds, everyone around us started laughing and saying go figure...lol  Well official time I came in at 52:20.

The race was great and all the people volunteering were awesome.  Thanks to the lady that helped me out when I forgot my pins for my bib.

This race will be in my race group for years to come!

Thanks Grand Rapids and Fifth Third for putting on a great event!!!!

I hope everyone had fun.

2010-05-09 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
I was due for a long run this weekend so decided to sign up the day before.  I was somewhat hesistant bc I didn't feel mentally prepared to race.  I was quite pleased with the pace I kept and am so glad I ran it.  I found the chilly weather to be helpful as this is how most of my run training has been all winter.  Was a good confidence booster!  
2010-05-10 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2847068

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI

Paddlesurfer - Thanks for posting your results. It makes my update much shorter. I did about exactly what you did.

Started between 7:30 and sub 2 hour pacers. Did the first 7-8 at 7:35 pace and felt great. Then I started to slowly die. When I hit the hills, I knew I was in trouble. Ended up with a 2:11:27, over 4 minutes off last years time.

I wish I could blame the weather. But I don't think it effected me at all. Didn't really notice the wind, and I thought the temp. was great. I've got nothing but my training to blame this on. Oh well, still had a great time. I feel much worse post race than I did last year, more evidence that I under trained.

2010-05-11 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2848601

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
Like you and Paddlesurfer, I tanked about halfway.  I was between the 8:00 and 2 hour group until halfway.  The 8's passed me and then the 8:30's passed me by the zoo.  I was completely out of gas.  2:09 last year, 2:15 this year.  I'm going to have to work on that training.

I'm doing the Tri-del-Sol, Millennium Park and Reeds Lake this year.  Look out for me and my crazy breast stroke on the swim.  (I'll be way in the back.)

Have fun.
E
2010-05-11 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2851385

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Looks like we all had similar experiances. I'll be at Tri Del Sol pulling my 190 lb friend around the course in a chariot. Also doing Reed's on my own. See you there.
2010-05-11 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids
Mixed emotions for me in my 10k.  I improved in by just over 2 minutes over last year but I "mentally" struggled the entire race.  It was a classic example for me at least of how important the mental aspect is becoming for me.  I probably had 1 too many layers on as I was soaked by mile 4.  Would have ditched 1 of the layers but it was all my good stuff so I didn't want to throw anything to the side    Trying to decide if I should even attempt the 25k - like most others I get excited to think of trying it, it's just the thought of training from Jan - May here in MI that kind of haunts me.  Overall it still is a great event for our city!  Hope to meet some of you at upcoming Tri's.  I'm signed up for Hawk Island, Tri del Sol, Millenium and Reeds Lake.

Edited by WOT 2010-05-11 4:35 PM

2010-05-11 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
As I am learning in my nascent running life, you should only do a race if you want to, not because it is the next thing to do.  I love the 25k distance, but I think I love the 26.2 better.  I am not sure if I will do it again next year. I am planning to do a 70.3 in June of 2011, so maybe 25k for a training run, with no expectations.  It is a big commitment to train for a 15.5 mile race in MI in early May.  Lots of time running in the cold.  Just can't do over 8 miles inside without going crazy.

That said, it was a great race and a great event.  If you have a desire to do the 25k, just sign up and go for it, but only for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fifth Third River Bank Run - 25K : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3