General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plus-size Triathalon Advice! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-05 9:53 AM

Subject: Plus-size Triathalon Advice!
OK, so I am a big girl and really out of shape and I am thinking of doing my first mini triathalon.  My question, is it even possible for someone my size?  5'8'', 240 pounds?  I can only swim about 50 yards before I am exhausted and I can walk for at least 30 mins straight (but running is few and far between during that 30 mins) and I can bike on a stationary bike for at least 30 minutes at a pretty vigorous pace, but I am no where near where I need to be.  I have 12 weeks before the triathalon I am thinking of doing.  Based on that little bit of information can someone offer some advice?  Is it possible?  Is 12 weeks long enough?  Has anyone else been in my same/similar situation and was able to finish the race (440 yd swim, 14 mile bike, 3 mile run)?  Will I be the biggest girl in the race and really embarrass myself?  I am so scared/excited!!!  PLEASE HELP!  Thanks so much! 

Kim

2010-02-05 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2656814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: Plus-size Triathalon Advice!
We're close to the same size -- I am 5'10" and started out at around 235. 

I haven't done my first triathlon yet, but the one I am doing, in May, is with two gals who have raced and started in similar shape to you.  I started from ground ZERO in September -- couldn't run, didn't own a bike, and could barely swim 25 meters without stopping.  What got me started was those other girls doing the race they did -- they invited me to join them, and it was 12 weeks away, and that seemed impossible to me.  But it *did* plant a seed, and started me on the path.

What I have done is I did the cool running couch to 5K running program, which is 3x a week sessions, ~45 min. apiece in the beginning.  That gets you to running a 5K (3 miles) in 9 weeks, maybe 10 if you need to repeat a few days at the beginning (I did).  I did that first, and then after I had done my first 5K race, I added to my 3x a week running an hour long spin class once a week, which isn't the same as riding a bike but does help build basic biking endurance. I've  been doing those once a week for 2 mos, and am just now to the point where I have the endurance to keep putting high effort in the entire class, rather than backing off and taking extra breaks.  And for swimming, there is a six week couch to mile program out there, but I will tell you that I am on week 3 of swimming for an hour 2x a week and I still can't quite do week one of that program.  I would highly recommend some swim lessons/coaching to ensure you are on the right path, technique-wise. 

Could you do it in 12 weeks?  Yes, but you are going to have to go from not working out at all to working out 5-6 days a week for an hour or more a day to get there (with longer sessions on the weekends, particularly toward the end), to be able to finish.  That's a huge change. You are also going to have to spend a lot of time educating yourself on training techniques for three sports to get the most out of the time you have, because you won't be able to waste a single session. There are some beginner "couch to sprint" programs here, but I think the fastest one is 16 weeks.  If you are motivated enough to do that, go for it!  I don't want to discourage you at ALL.  But you have to be very careful not to injure yourself.  It might be better to aim for a different sprint farther out so that you have more time to build a base, and do a 5K in 12 weeks as an interim goal. 

As I mentioned, the race that I didn't have time to prepare for nonetheless got me off the couch and preparing.  Since September, I've lost 15 pounds, and I assure you, it looks like more.  I've gone from not being able to run 60 seconds without feeling like I am going to die to being able to run an hour without stopping, albeit slowly.  I am really looking forward to my first race in May.  It's only now, 3 months after I started, that I am up to training 5-6 times a week, though.  I was deathly afraid of doing too much too soon.  Right now, I am running 3-4x a week, swimming 2x a week, and cycling/spinning 1-2 times a week.

As far as will you be the biggest one out there/embarass yourself? You may be the biggest, who knows, and really, who cares?  You will NOT look foolish being the biggest one out there.  You will look inspirational, so don't be embarrassed.  You will get cheered just as hard, if not harder, as the folks at the front of the pack, because to take on this challenge at our size takes a lot of heart.  It shows a commitment to make a big change.  And big change is just as inspiring as shaving seconds off of an already amazing time at the super competitive level.  Truly, it is.

OK, gotta run.  Literally, I am going to go run 3 miles.   Kim, you can do this, really, you can!  Even if you end up not doing this particular race, you can do THIS -- train for a triathlon.  Go for it!

Edited by dinabean 2010-02-05 10:49 AM
2010-02-05 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
I just wanted to say that you are an inspiration and I hope you do the race and I hope you have a great time doing it! You will definitely not look foolish and you are BEATING EVERYONE WHO IS SITTING HOME ON THEIR COUCH, as well as all the people who are just standing on the side of the road as you pass by. You are a winner just for getting out there. That takes guts and I applaud you.

I have seen people of all sizes doing triathlons and loving it. Don't let size stop you. Just think to yourself, "I am inspiring myself and others!" and live your dream. I hope you truly love it and have a great time on race day.

Kelly
2010-02-05 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
One piece of advice that I got from my brother who does HIM and the such, is just worry about yourself. Do what you feel comfortable with. I think 12 weeks is enough time to get ready to do a mini sprint tri. I have roughly used the same time frame, and I am not even training as much as I should. One thing I would do is just increase slowly over time. Maybe run/jog 1 block and then walk one block for as long as you feel comfortable.  Once your body tells you to stop running, stop, and then walk. There is no shame in doing that (that is what I am doing, but on a treadmill). From what I have heard here, many people will be supportive on the course and such. So focus on just finishing, because that is an accomplishment all in its own. Good luck
2010-02-05 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
You can do it!

You should work on building up your distances so you will be ready for the triathlon. Is it a co-ed or women's only tri? Most women only tris are very first timer friendly and supportive. Last year was my first year of doing triathlons I got off the coach in April and did my first sprint tri in August and 3 more in the following 6 weeks. I did 3 women's races and 1 mixed. Since I got off the couch last April I have lost over 50 pounds and hope to lose another 50 over the next year. I am moving up to Olympic and half iron distance this year.

Don't worry about embarrassing yourself, good for you for doing it, don't let anyone make you feel otherwise. There are many here who have walked in your footsteps.

Ask questions here, join a BT mentor group when new ones open in March or April.

Best to you and happy tri training!
2010-02-05 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2657309

User image

Master
Chicago
Kim I was 240 when I started Tri training too. On one hand 12-weeks isn't a ton of time, but I did learn to run in the span on 13-14 weeks from nothing to 45-60 minutes... so it can be done.

I think the key here is the swim more then anything, because you want to be sure you can handle that. The other stuff? In my opinion not a big deal. Even if you can't run by then you can surely walk 3 miles. My first Sprint Tri was also a womans only Tri which I did 7 months after learning to run. I was able to run that whole thing, but let me tell you there were plenty of women walking of ALL sizes. The Danksin/Trek Tris are great supportive environments for first timers.

1) Think about taking some swim lessons
2) Find a learn to run program (mine was from the 13week learn to run book)
3) Make sure you have proper running shoes (get fitted at a running store)

Have you read the book the slow fat triathlete? I highly recommend it!!

Anyway you can do this. I went from 302 couch potato to 187 (and still losing) training for an Ironman this year. You'll be amazed what you can do if you keep working at it.

2010-02-05 3:05 PM

User image

Aurora, IL
I 2nd the Slow Fat Triathlete book!  As well as "Shape Up With The Slow Fat Triathlete"  neither are really like workout suggestions but both very good for big girls like us!

Ive been back on the swimming wagon for about 2 years, so I'm a bit different in that respect but I'm a big girl, heavier than you-  and I'll be doing a Sprint Triathlon in June.

Right now, running is my hardest thing, and I find myself panicking that I'm not going to be able to do it come run day, but I figure even if I have to walk the whole dang three miles, it's about finishing period not finishing first.

And, my inspiration for doing this race this year was seeing a bunch of plus sized women doing the sprint tri last year and i figured "if they can do this, so can I"  and  hopefully someone will see me doing it this year and be insprired. 

You should look at it the same way- you will be someone's inspiration!
2010-02-05 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2657335

User image

Veteran
Sutherlin
Have you read the book the slow fat triathlete? I highly recommend it!! 

+1   Book is awesome.  I fianlly talked the wife back into it and she's loving it too... funny and gets you inspired at the same time...

OK, fat guy chiming in here.   I did my first sprint last year.  I also didn't know how to swim 6 months before the Tri.  The swim is the hardest...  running sucks (really) but your only out there for you.  I actually stopped at the half way point in the run and stretched for about 15 sec. and talk to an old guy I had not seen in about 3 years...  then continued on.  Just work up to it and enjoy!!!

When you cross the finish line, and you will, I got $5 says it won't be your last Tri!

Edited by tlrmike99 2010-02-05 4:45 PM
2010-02-05 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Kim, you can do this without a doubt! As recommended above, you need to read Slow Fat Triathlete ... inspirational and motivational.  I would also recommend Joe Friel's Your First Triathlon. It has a 12 week plan for beginners included which I used for my first few tris.  Some of the running plans were more than I could handle since I literally couldn't run from one street light to the next. Last month, I just completed my 4th half marathon. Just start with trying to run 15-30" and walking a couple of minutes and progress as you feel comfortable. You will get lots of support here on BT!!
2010-02-06 12:26 AM
in reply to: #2656975

User image

Regular
Franklin, VA
dinabean - 2010-02-05 11:34 AM Lots of good and inspirational stuff written

Wow, I want you in my corner!  What a great post.

To the OP, get out there and get training!  Maybe once you start you'll find that 12 weeks is a reasonable goal.  Maybe you'll find that you should train for 16 or 20 weeks.  But at least you'll have a positive goal and will be accomplishing something!
I started back in September at 275 and walking.  I've been slowly adding on and being VERY careful to avoid injury.  Even now if I run (slow jog) more than twice per week I feel the stress on my legs.  We big folks have to be careful.  But we can do it!
So go for it!!!
2010-02-06 9:28 AM

I am a big girl (same weight but 4 inches shorter) and training for my first tri. Planning on my first one in June but between now and then some indoor sprint tris. You can totally do it!
Best advice is listen to your body when exercising and don't push yourself too far too fast to avoid injury. It is a big step to get started.

2010-02-06 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2657335

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
IdealMuse - 2010-02-05 2:15 PM I think the key here is the swim more then anything, because you want to be sure you can handle that. The other stuff? In my opinion not a big deal. Even if you can't run by then you can surely walk 3 miles. 

+1 on this.  I would focus on swimming, and take some lessons if at all possible.  That's the only part you can't really take a break on (although you can always back float or back stroke or some such as needed if you need a break). 

I have to say, I am excited for you!
2010-02-06 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Kim keep us updated on what you decide to do!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plus-size Triathalon Advice! Rss Feed