General Discussion Triathlon Talk » total immersion, worth it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-05 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DC Metro area
Subject: total immersion, worth it?
I'm considering signing up for some swim lessons, and looking at a total immersion program...only worry is the cost. Is the $395 worth it? I was considering either doing that, or just the one one hour lesson and then a video..thoughts?

2010-02-05 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2657745

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: total immersion, worth it?
It was worth it for me, but then I have no swim coaches within 100 + miles.  I built from no freestyle to a solid if not fast IM swim 14 months later.  I found the video taping and in the water help with how I was doing the drills way more helpful than the dvd.  
2010-02-05 4:47 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I don't think so.

I took private TI lessons one winter and spent about the same amount. Now my swim coach for last two winters has been having me work on correcting stuff I learned at TI. I glide to much and not enough focus on arm position in recovery and the catch.

For $395 find the best swim coach that works with adult triathletes in your area and take private lessons for next couple months.
2010-02-05 4:52 PM

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
I read the first chapter of the book that you can get on their website and worked from there, watching their you-tube videos as well.  That all seemed to work well for me!  I built up from never doing swimming for training back in july to swimming 1:08/100yd, simply by focusing on the concepts of TI without ever using a swim coach.  As long as you can focus hard and pay attention to yourself, then I don't think it'd be worth it.  Spend that money on time in the pool.
2010-02-05 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2657836

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

KathyG - 2010-02-05 4:47 PM I don't think so.

I took private TI lessons one winter and spent about the same amount. Now my swim coach for last two winters has been having me work on correcting stuff I learned at TI. I glide to much and not enough focus on arm position in recovery and the catch.

For $395 find the best swim coach that works with adult triathletes in your area and take private lessons for next couple months.

I have a friend who learned TI and then got some coaching. The coach said and proved with my buddy exactly what you're saying--too much emphasis on glide in TI. When you're gliding, you're slowing down.

And then it was as Yoda said "You must unlearn what you have learned."

2010-02-05 5:07 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA

I have had two private lessons one on one with a TI coach. Video taken was the best feedback and some guidance with some drills. Was money well spent. Its amazing when you see yourself swimming on video. A must do on video taping. You will be surprised at what you see.

2010-02-05 5:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL

I took lessons as a kid and was confident in the water, but was never on a swim team.  I took private TI lessons and made some  progress, but I still wasn't "swimming" at the end of it.  I hired another coach that wasn't officially TI but used alot of the technique.  Now I feel very confident about my swimming--I may not be super fast but I feel like i could swim forever.  Money (and time) well spent imo!

2010-02-05 7:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
TI teaches you to swim easy.  Not fast.  I have the book and DVD, and really only do the occasional balance drill.
2010-02-05 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2657856

User image

Master
Central Indiana
zed707 - 2010-02-05 6:01 PM

KathyG - 2010-02-05 4:47 PM I don't think so.

I have a friend who learned TI and then got some coaching. The coach said and proved with my buddy exactly what you're saying--too much emphasis on glide in TI. When you're gliding, you're slowing down.

And then it was as Yoda said "You must unlearn what you have learned."

I'm no TI zealot (only bought a DVD & visited the website) and I use instructional stuff from multiple coaching methods.  But I disagree with the notion that concepts in TI must be unlearned. Balance, body position, streamlining, core rotation, etc. are fairly universal to a solid stroke.  From what I've seen, "too much glide" is not a characteristic of TI swimming per se.  And there are other non-TI swim coaches that use concept of glide in one way or another.  The TI "glide" is mostly in the drills, and (as with some other styles) there is a slight glide in long endurance swims.  TI calls their stroke (esp for speed) "perpetual motion freestyle".  For example, ch8 of "Easy Freestyle" DVD, Secrets of Speed, goes into improving stroke tempo & there is no visible glide in that demonstration stroke.  The swim motion is continuous.  OTOH I tend to agree that basic TI ain't the best for teaching some things like catch & pull.

It is not unusual for good coaches in any sport or technique to disagree, or for an athlete to perform better after changing coaches.  I improved my basic tri swim far more from using TI DVD than from lessons at a very well-respected local swim club (multiple state team championships, several NCAA D1 swim champs), but others don't find TI useful.  Currently I'm using other (non-TI) coaching videos to work on catch, pull & more active streamlining.  So what. Different teaching methods seem to work for different athletes at different times in their lives.

Back to OP- I would not spend $395 (+ misc expenses)  for a TI workshop.  As others have said- you would likely get more from a series of private lessons spread over a few months from a good personal coach.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » total immersion, worth it? Rss Feed