General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-07 4:55 PM

Little Rock, Arkansas
Subject: Swim Help
Ok, realize I am throwing myself to the sharks... but I've been swimming about 4 months steady now getting ready for my first tri and want some pointers on my swim technique...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWky-7GpQMg 

Seriously, anything constructive is really appreciated. At a point where I dont want to really cement bad habits further, but ready to try and pick up the speed a bit (I am somewhere around 1:45/100 comfortably)

Thanks in advance 

2010-02-07 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2660124

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Subject: RE: Swim Help
The link is not working.

Kevin
2010-02-07 6:29 PM

Little Rock, Arkansas
heres the link set up:video

Edited by mcassat 2010-02-07 6:31 PM
2010-02-07 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
, Washington
Link worked ok for me...

Biggest thing I notice is that it looks like your arms are crossing over (picture a line coming straight out of your head toward the wall...your hands should not cross over that line)...that may be the camera playing tricks, though...

It also looks like your legs may be over-rotating when you breathe, but that's also a little hard to tell...

Really, once you're at 1:45/100 (is that yards or meters?), a lot of improvement is just a matter of swimming lots...

Jim
2010-02-08 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2660211

Little Rock, Arkansas
Thanks for the feedback...

Think the midline thing is just the camera angle trick, but i do think i am overrotating legs... any suggestions on fixing that? or it just a core weakness issue?

thanks
2010-02-08 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2661022

User image

Master
mcassat - 2010-02-08 9:26 AM Thanks for the feedback...

Think the midline thing is just the camera angle trick, but i do think i am overrotating legs... any suggestions on fixing that? or it just a core weakness issue?

thanks

It looks like your left arm is coming over the midline.  I don't think that is a camera trick (the right looks fine, BTW).  Some of the leg splaying issues I thin are due to the effects of that left arm pull.  You could still use to tighten up your kick somewhat, though.  I'd say overall you have some symmetry issues, though most of the stroke looks pretty good.

I'd recommend tightening up the kick some and doing some bilateral breathing work.  The bilateral breathing will help you get a bit more symmetric and get that left arm entry and pull more in line with what the right is doing.  Concentrate a lot on getting that left arm pull correct - I think that will help a lot.

Edited by sand101 2010-02-08 10:31 AM

2010-02-09 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2660206

New user

Halifax-Dartmouth

I don't know if you breathe more when you're doing a long set, but in this video you're only breathing every fourth stroke and that's a lot of holding your breath. If you tried running and holding your breath that much you wouldn't be a happy camper! I would try bilateral breathing which also may help out your balance issue which is the probable cause of your legs scissoring out a little too much sometimes. If you have more air, you'll be able to keep your form a lot longer at a higher pace as I suspect you get pretty winded after a few hundred yard (metres?) if you are indeed only breathing every fourth for all your swimming. Personally I breathe every second stroke, but that's what works for me.
If you're not comfortable breathing to the other side, do some sets where you breathe only to your bad side, you'll get used to it and then you have that as a backup plan if you're in an ocean swim and get battered by waves from your good side.

Looks like you have excellent flexibility in your ankles and should really fly when you get those smaller things down that others have suggested.

Cheers,

Mike

2010-02-09 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2663081

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Generally looks pretty good. As others have mentioned, the big issue is your hands crossing over, which is causing you to zig-zag down the lane a bit. Also, when you breathe, you spread your legs pretty wide and pause your kick, which is going to slow you down. Try to keep your kick going, and don't pause with your legs that far apart. You might have to feel like you're not taking as long of a breath to eliminate the pause, so make sure you're exhaling underwater. Also, when you breathe, you tend to look backwards a bit into your armpit. Try to look straight to the side, and that will cut down on the zig-zag a bit as well. Overall though it looks pretty good, you have a nice rhythym to your stroke and are gliding pretty well out front.
2010-02-09 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I looked at the video a couple dozen times.  I agree with the other posters.  The only things I would add is that your Right arm seems to stab the water just above your head and then reach out underwater.  It might be nice if you could reach out over the water a little further.  And your body roll is very strong on your breathing side, but a little flat on your off side.  Bilateral breathing may help, or else just some body roll drills.  Overall, looks good for someone only doing 4 months.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Help Rss Feed