General Discussion Race Reports! » Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon & 5K - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
Pamakids Running Club
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 34s
Overall Rank = 4572/6080
Age Group = F
Age Group Rank = 2215/3372
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:30, had a banana and half a pack of Shot Blocks like I have for all my long runs. Walked from our apartment over to the start. The great thing about this race is that it is right in our neighborhood, only about a 15 minute walk to the start. My husband came with me and brought our new camera. This event was a great opportunity for him to test the camera out before our vacation.
Event warmup:

None really. Walked from home to the start which warmed me up a bit, then stood in line for the porta potties.
Run
  • 2h 23m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

My first half marathon is done! I don't even know where to start, I had so many highs and lows during the run.

Felt good for the first few miles. Started out slow because of the crowds, ended up doing a lot of weaving around walkers and Team in Training people before I was able to get my own little patch of road to run.

Started to get a bit tired around mile 5. The outside of my left knee started hurting and I was much more tired at that point that I was on my normal training runs (probably because I had been holding 10:45's instead of 11:00's). Started to get into a groove from miles 6 through 9, especially when I reached the Great Highway and ran by the GGTC tent.

Then the Great Highway death march began. This last part of the race is an out and back with a turnaround way down the road, then back into the park for the finish. It felt like the turnaround would never come, and all of the people ahead of my coming back towards the finish made me wish I was with them rather than where I was. It sucked. Finally I reached the turnaround and my legs were toast. My lungs were fine, but it was no longer my legs that were keeping my moving forward it was my head. I had lots of conversations with myself, not allowing myself to even consider walking and telling myself that I would be done soon and would get to sit down. The Great Highway is wide open with no shade, and on the way back we had a killer headwind which made things even tougher.

I finally made the turn back into the park and tried to put in the last little kick for the last half mile. I knew I had beaten my goal time (2:30) by a lot, but wanted to see what I could do the last little bit. Ended up dragging myself up the last hill and across the finish line in 2:23:34.
What would you do differently?:

Overall I thought it was a great effort for my first half marathon. I did the training, and finished better than I thought I could. Even with that there are a few things I would do differently:

- Long runs longer than 10 miles. I needed to know what the pain of those last few miles would be like in advance of the race.
- Running routes with less stops. In training I have lots of stops for stoplights and traffic and not having those little rests made a big difference in terms of fatigue in the race today.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my husband, got my t-shirt, walked through the Expo and headed down to the GGTC tent. Got a bagel and said hi to the GGTC'ers. I was one of the last to finish of our group so most people were heading home. Walked with the husband down to the bus stop and took the bus home. Did lots of stretching and foam rolling when I got home, followed by an ice bath. Then went out to lunch for patty melts and milkshakes!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just time in my running shoes. I'm really pleased with how today went.

Event comments:

Did the 5k associated with this race back in 2007 when I was almost 50 pounds heavier and in horrible shape. Finished that 5k in something like 37 minutes. To come back 3 years later as a triathlete and finish the half marathon in 2:23:34 is a huge accomplishment which I'm super proud of. I think that spending the off season this year focused on the run and training for this race was a great decision. Taking this next week easy and then training begins for Wildflower and Vineman!

Last updated: 2009-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:23:34 | 13.1 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 2215/3372
Overall: 4572/6080
Performance: Good
Course: Starting in Golden Gate Park, the course heads east, up Fell Street to the DMV. Turn around there head back down Oak Street and back into the park. Down through the park and onto the Great Highway from the Beach Chalet down to the San Francisco Zoo, and back up to finish in the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-02-07 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Subject: Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon & 5K

2010-02-07 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2660347

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon & 5K
WOW... 3 years later... 50 pounds lighter and rocking a half marathon! Be proud!

Yeah, I like to train for up to 12-13 miles... even up to 14-15 for a half marathon. Once you have the miles on your legs... it's OK to do.

Congratulations!!!! Exciting stuff!!!!
2010-02-07 11:04 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Great job on your first half marathon and for meeting your time goals! 

I was out there, too and totally agree with the Great Highway description...for sure that headwind was a killer!  Be proud of yourself for how far you have come!  That is a great acheivement! 
2010-02-07 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Great job today!  I'm with Karen on running more than 10 for halves.  I also found that out the hard way for my first half.  Congratulations!  Enjoy the accomplishment!!!!
2010-02-08 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Wow, you had a fantastic race! Very nice job beating your goals, and especially battling those last three miles with the headwind and the hills (seriously -- that out and back on the Great Highway was *brutal*!).
2010-02-08 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Awesome, awesome, AWESOME job! Congrats on everything from having a plan and executing the training, the weight loss, and your PR. I knew you would rock it!

2010-02-08 10:46 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Great meeting you!!!!  Awesome race!!!  Uggg, the Great Highway....yep it can be brutal.  But you toughed it out and finished ahead of your plan, well done!!!  See you in the pool this weekend!
2010-02-08 11:02 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Great job, Margot.  Reading your report really inspires me...  and makes me think I'd better think about altering the Higdon plan I just put in to give me more than a 10mile run max... uh oh...

Cheryl
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed