United States
Kinane Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 41s
Overall Rank = 501/
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 73/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about two hours before race. Ate two pieces of toast, one with jelly, the other with peanut butter and honey, and also had a banana.
Event warmup:

Walked down to the event start (the start is about a mile and a half from my house). Didn't really do too much for a warm up aside from a light jog with some stretching. Ate a GU Roctane around 15 minutes before the race start.
Run
  • 1h 39m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

We managed to get into the first wave of the run, and somewhat toward the front of the first stage. With the amount of people involved, I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly things thinned out. We paced ourselves based on our Garmins, but managed to stay just behind the 1:40 pacers, and eventually managed to pass them somewhere in the middle of the race. This was my first time racing a Half Marathon, so I was pretty happy with my time. I've never really considered myself a runner, and only started really logging any serious miles about 3 months ago when I signed up for IM Cozumel. The one thing I did notice though is that my heart rate was a fair bit higher today during the race than I would have expected it to be from training. With that, I was bot disappointed in the fact that I was having an "off day", but also pleasantly surprised that I was able to work through it and finish the run. My avg HR for this run ended up being 181, when similar paces on training runs have resulted in an avg HR of around 165. I basically spent a very large portion of this race in a very Anaerobic zone, which was certainly not ideal.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure I would do anything differently, as I said before, I was very pleased with my time, and my ability to run through a day when I maybe wasn't on my "A" game.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish area, drank in quite a few fluids and did some stretching. Tried to get into the Beer Garden, but after waiting a while for some friends to finish the line to get in was so long that we decided to skip it and head back home for a few beers.

Event comments:

The race was very well organized and the volunteers did a fantastic job.

Last updated: 2010-02-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:41 | 13.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course is relatively flat, and very familiar to me, in fact this is where I do the majority of my running. Some slight flooding from the rains on the south bound side of PCH around mile 9 or 10 I think.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-02-07 11:44 PM

User image

Subject: Surf City USA Half Marathon

2010-02-08 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2660538

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Half Marathon
I think you had the fastest time of any of the BT-ers.  Congratulations.  And yes, it is a very well managed and organized race. 
2010-02-08 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2660538

User image

Subject: RE: Surf City USA Half Marathon
Leah, 

Thank you very much, and congratulations on your run as well.  

Brian 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Half Marathon Rss Feed