General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Rack for Carbon Fiber Frames/Forks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-09 8:01 AM

Subject: Bike Rack for Carbon Fiber Frames/Forks

I just made the leap from my Cro Moly road bike to a new Carbon fiber Tri Bike.  I never gave much thought to putting the old bike on my trunk mounted bike rack.  Now that I have made an investment in Carbon Fiber I am concerned about the best way to transport my new baby. 

I have a Volvo sedan and have located a good deal on OEM load bars and Fork-Mounted bike racks.  I’m pretty sure Thule makes these for Volvo.  I was ready to make the purchase when I noticed the following disclaimer at the bottom of the Fork-Mounted bike rack description.

” Will NOT work with Bikes equipped with Carbon Fiber Forks”

I thought the fork-mount trays would be better for a Carbon Fiber frame than an upright carrier that clamps onto the frame.

Does anyone have any opinions on the best way to transport a Carbon Fiber bike? 

2010-02-09 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2662898

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Subject: RE: Bike Rack for Carbon Fiber Frames/Forks
If you can swing the money, have a class 1 hitch put on the car, then use a hitch mount platform rack.

swagman

The hook that holds the bike down also has a hole in it that you can put a padlock - it's great.

2010-02-09 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2662898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Bike Rack for Carbon Fiber Frames/Forks
Big Kid - 2010-02-09 10:01 AM

” Will NOT work with Bikes equipped with Carbon Fiber Forks”

I thought the fork-mount trays would be better for a Carbon Fiber frame than an upright carrier that clamps onto the frame.

Does anyone have any opinions on the best way to transport a Carbon Fiber bike? 

I am going onto 12 years of bikes w/ carbon forks on fork mount trays and have yet to experience a failure (excluding the time I drove off without doing up the attachment points), and I will continue to use them. I suspect folks have had failures of carbon bike forks under high lateral loads so I don't push the car too hard when I have bikes on it. That being said, many times I have braked and turned hard pushing into corners I've misjudged and the bikes have been fine, though the dog has given  me some dirty looks. I suspect you're fine if you drive intelligently and the forks are of good quality.       
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Rack for Carbon Fiber Frames/Forks Rss Feed