General Discussion Race Reports! » 33rd Annual Columbia River Classic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

33rd Annual Columbia River Classic - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richland, Washington
United States
Total Fitness Connection
Total Time = 1h 04m 35s
Overall Rank = 10/158
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

light stretch for it band
Event warmup:

masters swim practice :)
Run
  • 1h 04m 35s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually, this was my first 10 miler ever. I recently increased my running (around halloween) and was anxious to see what i was capable of. I was hoping to break 7 minute a mile, so 1:10 total...talked with a fellow runner at the line, who was going for 65, so my goal was to keep him in sight, WHO KNEW!

the leaders took off like a shot, winner crossed the line in 53?!, but i held back and fell into a comfortable pace right off the bat, 630. i recently read the book born to run, and was enthralled with the mantra, easy, light, smooth, fast. i just kept piter pattering along (tiny strides) at the 630 pace.

mile after mile ticked by, no one was passing me, i felt great, and i was keeping my rabbit (mr 65) in sight. right around the 5 mile marker i checked my watch, 32:30. well hot damn! that is dead on pace for a 65! and i felt amazing.

it was around mile 6 or 7 that i switched tactics, from 'ah, whatever', to 'the only pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die' ~thanks pre! the 630 pace just felt like home, and i didn't feel like i was struggling in the least. so i decided to move up in the field.

two brothers (i am guessing) had been 150 yards in front of me all along, so i put it to it and reeled them in. but the thing was, i didn't up my pace, i just kept it solid. soon i was on mr 65's heels and i could hear him struggling. with a little over 2 miles to go i passed all three of the guys and i did it with athority.

coming into the final mile i was still dead on 630 pace, but its the final mile, so i made an effort to pick it up again. around a turn i saw a new target, tho he was a LONG way off...but i went for it, turns out i ran a 6 flat last mile and couldn't believe how much ground i had made up on the guy in front.

i crossed the line feeling great, looked down and saw 1:04, holy smokes! i was very happy with my performance and my overall attitude on the run, didn't have any pressure or any real goals (besides 70 min) and i loved the thought of 'yes, i get to run a race today' that mindset kept the mile refreshing.

What would you do differently?:

nothing, perfect run, prolly have more speed in the tank, but for a 1st 10 miler i was very satisfied.
Post race
Warm down:

i ran some more, ppl were looking at me like i was crazy, but i ran back up the course and cheered on some local runners

Event comments:

awesome prizes at the end, and some pretty fast competition.

Last updated: 2010-02-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:04:35 | 10 miles | 06m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 10/158
Performance: Good
Course: Run along the Columbia River
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5