General Discussion Race Reports! » Redondo Beach Super Bowl Sunday 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Redondo Beach Super Bowl Sunday 10K - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Redondo Beach, California
United States
Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce
67?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 46s
Overall Rank = 743/3843
Age Group = F 19-24
Age Group Rank = 19/139
Pre-race routine:

woke up extra early and hit the snooze once.i was surprised i didn't feel nervous at all. brushed my teeth, and had my usual morning cheerios and raisins with soy milk. no red bulls allowed anymore per my doctor, so just water. got on running clothes and bib and we were off. i volunteered my boyfriend to drive because i knew there was free beer after the finish and i'm the lightest light weight there is.
Event warmup:

got there over an hour and a half before the start of the 10k, so just hung out with the boyfriend and walked around/ goofed around. eyed out my competition. wished people had their age marked on their bodies so i knew what i was up against! watched the costume contest. had some clif bloks, went potty, then about 15 minutes before it was time i went off to do my own jogging warmup.warmed up for too long and almost missed the start! ran over to the start line as someone was singing the national anthem. i've only done one official run before, and that was the 5k that Doug ran with me at my pace. it felt weird to be alone when everyone else seemed to be with friends or their significant others but i actually liked it. i thought of Doug being in front because he was going to run cheetah style.
Run
  • 50m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

the fog horn went off and oh man was i frustrated with how many people there were. the 5k i had done didn't have nearly as many people. i kept trying to maneuver around everyone because i really wanted to get a sub 8mm pace or at the very least break even at 8mm but it took forever to even cross the mat and wasn't getting any better after that. i just kept going and tried to pass people but honestly i wasn't really feeling as strong as i usually do when i run by myself. thinking about it now, i almost feel like running with that many people made me slower because it seemed like i was going faster than a lot of other runners and keeping up with a lot so i got comfortable. i didn't really let anyone pass me. i was really dissapointed when i saw my posted results. i've never tried to drink a cup of water in a race until this one; it didn't work too well. mostly went all over my face instead of in my mouth. once i was almost to the finish line i saw Doug on my left cheering me on! it made me so happy. tried to keep smiling through the finish line. it seemed like forever while i was running but all of a sudden it was over and i felt like i could have left more out on the course.
What would you do differently?:

start closer to the front and not get too comfortable with my pace. i should have kept pushing.
Post race
Warm down:

took off my chip and put it in the bucket. met up with Doug. grabbed some food and went to get our free beers. i got pretty buzzed! we found two chairs in an empty tent from the expo and just chilled and people watched.watched the awards ceremony and Doug told me a correct trivia answer so we won a LA Marathon hat! extra special because Doug is signed up to run it. Fell asleep a little on the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

people. hills.

Event comments:

i was disappointed with my time but it was my first 10k and my boyfriend was there and he accomplished a PR AND there was free beer, how could i not love it? i'm really glad i did it. also, it was really good for me to be by myself amongst a sea of people at a start line since my first tri is this month! really enjoyed being at a race with Doug but racing on our own.

Last updated: 2010-02-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:46 | 06.21 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/139
Overall: 743/3843
Performance: Average
Course: all rolling hills, then a killer hill near the end. i never train on hills. since my first tri is flat, i've been running on very minimal inclines and mostly flat. it was beautiful but rough. would have liked the temperature a little cooler. i really liked the bag pipe player.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes