United States
Hawaiian Telcom
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 7s
Overall Rank = 4464/21175
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 390/1129
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had my usual race breakfast. Drove to the stadium and got on the bus to the downtown startline. Used to porta-john a couple of times.
Event warmup:

Did my stretch routine about a half-hour before the start.
Run
  • 1h 26m 7s
  • 8.15 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice Z3 training run for me. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination. Played "dodge-the-walkers" for 90% of the run because I started too far back in the field. I did get "strollered" and nearly got out-run by a guy doing the event running backwards. Felt good throughout the run and I didn't feel all that tired at the end.
What would you do differently?:

I think I might have been able to run a slightly faster pace if I had started more to the front. It took me 20 minutes from where I was in the field just to get to the starting line.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my water, banana, and cookie and scarfed those down. Stretched for about 5 minutes after walking to my car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training specifically for this run. I'm in early base training for IMCDA so treated this as a training run at my Z3 pace.

Event comments:

GAR is a typical fun-run. Some people running and lots of people walking. I still think they could use an aid station at about mile 2 for most of the participants. Having the first aid station coming around 6K is a bit too late for the distance.

Last updated: 2010-02-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:07 | 08.15 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 390/1129
Overall: 4468/21175
Performance: Good
Course: Flat from the start to about mile 5 followed by a set of easy uphills and downhills the rest of the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-02-15 9:41 PM

User image

Subject: Great Aloha Run

2010-02-16 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2674613

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Great Aloha Run
Great job! It's hard to maintain a training pace, especially in such a big crowd.
2010-02-16 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Good job! I was out there too! I saw that guy running backwards... and the guy in the Clifford costume! Funny stuff! I agree with you on the need for an earlier aid station. I wouldn't need it but I'm sure lots of the participants would really appreciate it. I also should have started closer to the front as I had to play "dodge-the-walkers" much more than I liked. Great job on the run! You beat me by a few minutes. Smile
2010-02-19 2:35 PM

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Nice job!  The walkers and strollers are definitely a problem.  I learned early to ensure I'm in the yellow numbered group and get towards the front where the "runners" are.  I was lucky this year and last year and got to within about 20 yds of the start line.  Still a fun run in any case.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Aloha Run Rss Feed