General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tritonman UCSD Sprint : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-17 12:19 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: Tritonman UCSD Sprint : Official Thread

Anyone racing at Fiesta Island this Sat?

This is my very first tri, so have a lot to learn from you all.

Are there any good tri stores in SD? I need to grab some Bodyglide when I hit town Fri.

2010-02-17 12:30 AM
in reply to: #2676719

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Tritonman UCSD Sprint : Official Thread

I'm not racing, but did this race last year. You can pick up gear at B&L, Nytro and several other stores in the area.

This race can be cold, be prepared for numb feet on the bike and run and stay for the post race fun. The games the college students played last year were priceless.

Have a fun and good luck!

2010-02-17 8:25 AM

User image

I picked this to be my first tri last year. I drove down from the bay area to do it and I am glad I did. I enjoyed it so much I signed up for it again this year. Everybody is very helpful and it is pretty laid back. Swim is cold but not as cold as the SF waters I have been in. Bike and run course is flat. Yep...I had the numb feet. Didn't think I had any feet until mile 2 on the run. Fun race. enjoy and good luck!
2010-02-17 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
This will be my first. I'm psyched. Flying out from Chicago on Friday morning. First wetsuit swim & OWS swim Firday afternoon and the race on Saturday.

Is there area that the race will be at open for swimming on Friday or should I find somewhere else?

Also, looks like the water temp is 'up to' 60 degrees now, is that as cold as it sounds? I've been taking cold showers this week to prepare, but ugg.

Finally, should I be able to ride my bike over from the Doubltree (7450 Hazard Center Drive) in the morning or will I be better off driving it?

edit: OH!, and will the water be veruy flat in the bay or should I expect some waves?

Edited by randomguymike 2010-02-17 10:54 AM
2010-02-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2677372

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
randomguymike:

Mission Bay is a huge, protected bay, so finding places to swim is easy. The course, on the east side of Fiesta Island, is particularly sheltered, and has a reputation for flat water. I'm hoping to swim the course fri, myself. You're from Chi? I can't imagine that you'll complain about the temps as much as us whiny CA weather wimps. I haven't lived in SD for years, but I suspect it's a trival coast down Friars Rd from your hotel to the race. Maybe the current locals can chime in on.

Edited by Pacific John 2010-02-17 11:30 AM
2010-02-18 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
60 and rainy in San Diego? This is not what the Chamber of Commerce promised me.

2010-02-18 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2679290

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
randomguymike - 2010-02-17 7:44 PM 60 and rainy in San Diego? This is not what the Chamber of Commerce promised me.

Yeah, the Chamber is like that. They also aren't completely open about "June Gloom," a name for summer fog that hadn't been coined yet when I grew up there. If it makes you feel any better, June Gloom is similar to what we'll deal with Sat. You can say you experienced SD's summer weather.
2010-02-19 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Went out to the course today. Ran into a bunch of UCSD folks that were very cool and nice. Water wasn't as cold as I expected. Bike course was uber flat, but be prepared for some wicked wind on the backside. Wind reminded me of what I'd encounter on the Chicago lakefront. Hopefully weather cooperates.

Anyway, I'll be the fat, pasty white, midwestern looking guy if anyone is curious.
2010-02-19 11:34 PM
in reply to: #2682827

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Mike, you nailed the conditions. I was out just after lunch, and was just fine. Literally the last ows experience I had was when I was about 10 in a little cove of Mission Bay...so it felt oddly familiar and comfortable. There was very slight chop when I was out, with the wind from the south. Maybe the overall conditions are warmer than previous years, but I was easily warm enough, and don't expect numb feet like previous years' reports. After swimming, being barefoot and half out of the wetsuit was fine.

Sleep well, and have a great race!
2010-02-20 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Wow, what a mud bowl. There was heavy rain last night, and transition was a soupy mess! The swim straight into the sun was a new trick I was forced to learn.

Otherwise, it was a great, fun race. My computer said I did 18.4 while rolling on the mountain bike.

The core advice in this thread was dead on. I started the swim at the outside left, counted to 10 after the gun, and passed eveytime I touched someone's feet. The disorientation from the sun had me more rattled than I've ever been in the water, but the sage advice here couldn't have been better: keep swimming! I stopped about a half dozen times trying to figure out where the course was, and each time, I saw that I was moving up in the field. I said to myself that I had no excuse to be rattled if I was making time and passing people. My SO said I looked a lot slower than normal, and I don't doubt it. The only time I had my stroke was the first and last 75 or so yds when I could see where I was.

The other thing: the 45-49 AG is pretty hardcore. Their average last year was faster then some younger groups, and I wouldn't be surprised if it repeats. I have no idea how I did since the numbers aren't up yet, but hats off to anyone who raced today. I'm sure all of the beginners feel like I do, that it was a major accomplishment.

Oh, in view of the conditions, I was especially impressed by how well run it was. There was decent security at transition (when a transition volunteer joked with me after the race that I wasn't allowed in because only triathletes were allowed, I gave him a big smile and told him I was in too much pain for security). When the PA system failed during wet conditions, they had a bull horn for backup. The collegiate games afterward were hilarious, as advertised. They had lots of energetic, competent volunteers. Good job, UCSD tri team!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tritonman UCSD Sprint : Official Thread Rss Feed