Baton Rouge Area Sports Foundation
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 47/
Pre-race routine:

Night before, got out my lucky running race shirt that I have used in all of my running races except for my ½ Mary. That was almost a complete disaster (I did finish) and wasn’t going to make the same mistake. Morning of the race I had my standard PB sandwich and Diet Pepsi. Headed out to the race and parked in a convenient spot under the freeway.
Once at the race I picked up my timing chip. I was happy they added the chip timed to the race. No concerns about where in the group I started (this proved to be a mistake on my part). I spent time wondering around looking for friends and watching a lot of nervous folks try to kill time. It was a lot of fun to see people bouncing around wishing the race was about to start. Finally race time came and I was glad I was in my short sleeve shirt and shorts. A bit cold but I knew it would warm up. I saw a lot of folks in the long sleeve race shirt (cotton not tech) and warm-up pants. I knew they would be suffering soon.

Run
  • 56m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

And we are off! I am towards the front of the middle group. As I past where the starter was I started the Garmin. There was no start marker and something in my head told me there was something wrong here. Goal for first mile was a slow 10mm, Garmin said I was going too fast even with all the traffic (purposefully didn’t pass some folks just to slow me down).
Mile one and I am at 9:18 pace. Oops too fast but I feel good and I can feel this is my stride. As we come up to mile 2 and the aid station some guy is talking to a friend and says “always take the drink” and then yells it back to those behind him. I am not sure if he was part of a running group or not but some guy next to me asks “really, should I always?” I tell him, run your own race, and drink when you need to, not when some guy in a crowd says so. He passes on the aid station as do I. Mile 2 is at 9:14 pace. Still feel like this is my pace and keep going.
Hit mile 3 and my pace is at 9:21 and feeling fine. Stop at the aid station for a sip of water and I am back off. At this point my mind is wandering and I start the name game (start assigning names to runners based upon what they look like). There is cute butt girl (self-explanatory), basketball dude (really tall, huge shoes), and runner chick (she had great form and made running look effortless), etc. Hit mile 4 and it’s a 9:05mm but keep going at that pace. At this point it is warming up pretty good and those in the long sleeve running shirts are looking a little miserable.
I have been slowly passing people and I come up to a guy and a girl. The guy is breathing pretty hard and sweating pretty hard. The girl is breathing hard (not as hard as the guy) and I realize I am not breathing hard at all and decide to push the pace. Mile 5 comes and I am at 8:52. 1.2 miles left, time to pick it up. Now about this time I recognize another runner. I had passed him on the first mile of this race 2 yrs ago! (not sure why I remembered him) He and his girlfriend had just started walking just before the one mile mark. Not really understanding the whole run/walk concept at the time I had encouraged them to keep going (yes, I understand it now). Now, two years later I am passing him at mile 5. Good for him. Mile 6 comes and I avg 8:21 pace and feeling pretty good, I am going to PR! Just about that time that guy goes flying by me! Okay sprint time and chase after him. Don’t pass him before the finish line but was right behind him. Last .2 mile was at a 7:49 avg.

What would you do differently?:

Took it too easy until the end. Next push harder in middle segment.
Post race
Warm down:

Clock said 56:07 but confident that the official chip time will look more like my Garmin time I head in. Finally find my buddy who took 3rd overall with a blistering ~37min run. First thing he says is “Man, too bad they didn’t have a start mat. All times are gun based”. Oh bummer! Oh well. Still a PR and I feel real good. I didn’t push this and still had a good run. Beer and food and I head home. HIM here I come!!!

Last updated: 2010-02-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:07 | 06.21 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-02-20 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: Mardi Gras Mambo

2010-02-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2683681

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Mardi Gras Mambo
Way to go Gary! Awesome job. Congrats on the PR!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mardi Gras Mambo Rss Feed