Highland Park, Illinois
United States
Equinox Fitness Clubs
Total Time = 3h 20m
Overall Rank = 15/17
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Every tri should start in the afternoon! Slept in, took son to swim class (which I should be taking), then took my piece of crap car to the mechanic! Breakfast was 2 breakfast bars and a gatorade. Lunch was chicken and rice and caffeine free diet Coke.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little. Took a few laps which left me extremely tired. Great move Ted. I had literally 5 minutes before my wave when I got to pool which is great because I had small amount of time to be nervous.
Swim
  • 12m 42s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I suck. Why do I suck? Because I don't train!! These lessons I am taking are not coming soon enough. My breathing was horrendous. My stroke was terrible. So overall it was okay. I did not panic because I could stop and rest. Which I did. Very very often. Oh and my Polar watch died in the water. I won it so I did not lose any money but what a waste.
What would you do differently?:

SWIM MORE, TAKE LESSONS, RELAX. Oh yeah, SWIM MORE AND MORE AND MORE! Swimming is hard, there is nothing effortless about it. Add to the fact that you could drown and it makes it less enjoyable. But it should (??) only get better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

We had a max of 10 minutes in transition. I really did not use half of that but not sure how long I took. I need a nice comfy well padded seat for my big ol' bum. I was comfortable with my cadence, I still need to learn how to properly set my seat.

Not sure. Maybe learn how to take my shoes off. I need lessons!
Bike
  • 31m
  • 10 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I really don't know how I could get faster. I felt really terrible. I am happy with my average but I just want to get faster. Do I increase my cadence and keep the resistance (gear) low or should have a decent cadence and keep the resistance high. I was hurting on the high resistance so I just did intervals. I was going 22 mph for a minute or two but then it got hard. I always thought I had some strength in my legs but apparently not!

Increase my bike knowledge. I know it is a spin bike but I should take some time to get a little faster. Increase my leg strength?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Holy crap I was tired after the bike. I felt like puking. My sport drink tasted awful. I wanted to take the whole 10 minutes. The volunteer was very peppy and cute so it made my pain easier to bear. She was coming by and giving me a cheer and I didn't even start running.

Puke! It would have been good to get it out.
Run
  • 29m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was spent from the bike so I went out at 10 m/mile. I had nothing in me until mile 2. I wanted to hit it at sub 9 min/mile but no such luck. Shoes hurt like hell. My HR strap was very wet from the bike and it was heavy.

My Asics suck the big one. What was I thinking? These were the same bastards that gave me the massive blisters. I thought I could hold up with these suckers but I paid. Idiot move. I knew my running has really been bad and I was hoping for a better time but I am happy with coming under 30 minutes. I am just happy that my shin splints did not bother me at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some more water. Got a great massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ME and my swimming. My weight, etc....... I could go on for days but who cares, I DID IT. I still don't have a strategy. Should I? I just want to have fun but getting better would be great. Also I need to let everything out. I am a little timid.

Event comments:

This was for charity so there were no frills. Sure I would have liked a shirt but the registration fee went 100% to charity. Also they promised some drinks and bagels but they were no where to be found. Which is fine. Dinner was on the table at home! Being 15 of 17 is not something I will be proud of and dead last in men's is a little embarrassing. I just wanted to do it. The swim really saps my energy and motivation. The only solution is to get better.

Last updated: 2010-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:42 | 500 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 15/17
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: 25 yard length pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:00 | 10 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 8/17
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Spin bike
Road:   Cadence: 100
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:34 | 03.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 15/17
Performance: Good
Course: Treadmill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-02-20 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: Equinox Indoor Triathlon

2010-02-20 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2684179

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Equinox Indoor Triathlon
It's about the effort, not the result.  At least for me.  Sure I'd like to be way faster than I am, but it's a long process.  Keep in perspective that you know where you can improve the most, and how to do it.

Great job.
2010-02-22 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Great job Teddie! Considering how you haven't been swimming a lot, I would say your swim performance was pretty good, not "bad". Nice job on the bike since you were in the top half overall. Nice run, too. Glad your shin splints didn't act up, but for goodness sakes, get some good shoes

Sounds like a fun time. Makes me wish there were an indoor tri somewhere around here.

You WILL get better, and you should be proud!!!
2010-02-24 4:23 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
How did I miss this?
You did great, you know. You're just being your own worst critic. You swim, bike, and run faster than me, and you're always telling me how great I am. Know what? That's means you're great too!! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Equinox Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed