General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switch out Clip-Ons for Vision TT Base Bar Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-22 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Switch out Clip-Ons for Vision TT Base Bar

I was hoping to be able to afford a new bike this year but it's just not going to happen.  So in looking at my Specialized E5 geometry I noticed that it is very close to the Cervelo P1 75 degree setup.  Because I am very small the bike has a 75.5 seat tube angle with a short chain stay to fit all of the parts underneath me I assume.  In addition the head tube length and angle are also pretty much the same (110/72.5 vs. 90/72.5).  The big difference I see is the top tube is slightly longer on the specialized which is not a huge deal since my torso is disproportionate to my legs (all torso and no legs).

I have been watching some base bar + aero on Ebay and see several good setups going for 100 or less.  I know I would also have to buy the shifters and brake levers but this would still be substantially cheaper than an entire bike and may make it more comfortable and faster for tri's.  I know that you can also buy forward seat post that would perhaps put my seat angle closer to 78 or 79 degrees.   

Has anyone ever done a full conversion to a tri bike?  I am planning to drop 100 or so on a set of clip-ons but I am considering this optional path if I can get it done for 250 or 300.  What am I missing that has not been stated here?

2010-02-23 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2686466

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Subject: RE: Switch out Clip-Ons for Vision TT Base Bar
You can get a wheel cover from www.wheelbuilder.com for 100 dollars. That will make your rear wheel 95% as aero as any HED or Zipp disc.

Look at Thomson Setback posts as well as the Profile Fast Forwards. You can turn the Thomson around and it is very similar, possibly not quite as steep, as the Profile. Plus they often go for less then the Profiles on ebay.

If you don't want to bother with changing shifters and cables and the entire cockpit, a set of nice clip on aero bars will be nearly as aero as putting a basebar+aero bar setup and will save you a lot of money. The important thing is that you get into the aero position, that will make a much larger difference compared to having a base bar or drop bars.

And I cannot tell if you are talking about Vison integrated bars where the aero bars and base bar is one piece. I would not recommend these as there is no adjustability.

Getting the disc instead of the base bar+shifters+brake levers+cables+housing would be roughly the same price and save you more time then not getting the disc and going with the new cockpit.
2010-02-23 12:06 PM

User image

Master
I bought a Vision base bar with shifters and brakes already mounted off a local cyclist who did one Tri as a relay and decided he didn't care for TT. I put it on a Soloist frame and it works great. As mentioned before the integrated stem is not adjustable so you will be taking a chance on fit. The new cockpit doesn't make me any faster but looks cool. You also may need spacers, shims and new cables.
2010-02-23 3:25 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks for the insight.  I posted this on the main Tri board as well since I was not sure where to put it.  Cycling, as you will see if you look at my logs, is my weakest link and I have alot to learn still. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switch out Clip-Ons for Vision TT Base Bar Rss Feed