General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-11-15 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3211915

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread

DanielG - 2010-11-15 3:48 PM Hey! Little stupid thing. Check out the number on your finisher's medal ship. Last year I did the Half and the ship number was 70. This year my ship's number is 140. BWHAHAHA. I know, small things and small minds and all that but it's making me giggle.

From what I heard it's a copyright issue which Ironman holds the right's too, so halfs and fulls can't use 70.3 or 140.6, thus the reason they left off the .3 or .6

I had posted way earlier in this thread with the tide being so close to 7 am that the push wasn't going to be any where close to the last two years.  Hope this doesn't make a reason for folks to knock the race.  Reading some of the race reports I saw some of the same minor complaints that I had last year.

Not sure if I'll do another full there or not but I'd really like to go back some year and volunteer and hang out in Wilmington again.

Hope everyone enjoys there recovery time.

2010-11-15 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2687568

User image

Master
Wilmington
Well next year they moved up the date a week earlier so that might be due to the tide and the Half poeple do not get finisher shirts only the FULL get them. They changed T2 alot from last year because of the of the parking lot getting washed out with the tide coming in which it did  alittle). 
2010-11-15 4:43 PM

I have to say that there are things that can be fixed at every race, even Kona I am sure, but you people sure do like to complain. You are mad that Set Up did not tell you that there was no help on the swim? What would that have changed? Everyone wants the swim to be in a river down current with a flat bike with 112 miles of tailwind and a flat run course with no humidity. This is an Ironman, not checkers. It should be hard. Suck it up and race. If it makes you feel better, go pay $600 for a WTC event. Look at what that would have gotten you at the recent Miami 70.3. This is the hardest endurance event that one person can do in a single day. Take pride in the fact that you did it at all.

Give me a break folks. Of the 1200 things that you encountered all day you focus on the two that went wrong. You don't like the swim, race in Augusta only. You don't like the bike, race a draft legal event. You don't like running in the dark, run faster so you can finish when the sun is up and not at 10pm.

2010-11-15 5:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I do think it's amazing that they pull off all the logistics.  But most of the points here are valid.  The wiggly man wasn't at the turn, I didn't know finisher shirts were available until hours later.  Those things are minor.  About the only thing I would bring up was T2 where we had no idea where we were and the volunteers didn't seem to know either.  I actually got frustrated and got snippy, which is unlike me and felt bad about it later.  Someone was yelling out numbers, but no one was helping me find that number.  I asked someone else where I was going and she pointed to the tent.  Ugh, no bags in there.  Back out, look for my number again.. oh it should be somewhere over there.  It felt like it took forever.  And I'm sure it's obvious where the bags are when I haven't done 114.4 miles thus far.  It just wasn't registering.  Everything in that area was new, and I was tired and rushed.

Edited by kalalau 2010-11-15 5:12 PM
2010-11-15 5:13 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Jcd ( Jeremy?), don't get too wound up on the comments.  Things happen, no event is ever perfect and I am sure there are complaints about Kona and every other race also.  Overall I thought it was a great race but I only did the swim/bike so I can't comment on the run.  Yeah, I could have check the tidal charts, etc but the bike aid stations were great.  Definitely some things that could have gone better and some mistakes were made but its a 17 hour operation.

Edited by GaryRM 2010-11-15 5:14 PM
2010-11-15 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So look, there are indeed many things that can go wrong, and things that are outside an RD's control. But some things are entirely within the RD's control, and could/should be fixed, particularly if it's a matter of athlete safety.

I think the approach to the bike finish was dangerous, both in terms of riding on the shoulder and the chaos of shared bike/run/shuttle/support vehicle paths.

I also saw downtown the bus shuttles were dropping off passengers in the lane blocked off for runners. With cars in the other lane, there was no where for runners to go.

Accurate information before the race is essential, and entirely within the RD's control.

Those things are important and should be remedied. I'm sure Setup Events will be responsive to these types of comments.

I didn't mention things such as when I went to get food at the end, no hot food--just potato chips and mini-donuts, or that I was handed a half medal instead of a full, or that I had to wait for bags because someone had locked the uhaul and walked away. That kind of stuff is bound to happen.

2010-11-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3212062

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Livestrong191 - 2010-11-15 4:47 PM Well next year they moved up the date a week earlier so that might be due to the tide and the Half poeple do not get finisher shirts only the FULL get them. They changed T2 alot from last year because of the of the parking lot getting washed out with the tide coming in which it did  alittle). 

And the tide chart for October 29, 2011 says low tide is at 3:32 AM and high tide is at 10:06 AM.  If the big push is three hours before high tide, which is what I heard...

Of course sunrise is at 7:28.  How exactly does that work???

Edited by jmkizer 2010-11-15 5:42 PM
2010-11-15 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3212215

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
kalalau - 2010-11-15 6:05 PM

About the only thing I would bring up was T2 where we had no idea where we were and the volunteers didn't seem to know either.  I actually got frustrated and got snippy, which is unlike me and felt bad about it later.

Did you go to T2 on Friday?  It was still being set up when I got there but it helped immensely to have a rough idea of where my row was. 
2010-11-15 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3212179

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
jcdandkvd - 2010-11-15 5:43 PM I have to say that there are things that can be fixed at every race, even Kona I am sure, but you people sure do like to complain. You are mad that Set Up did not tell you that there was no help on the swim? What would that have changed? Everyone wants the swim to be in a river down current with a flat bike with 112 miles of tailwind and a flat run course with no humidity. This is an Ironman, not checkers. It should be hard. Suck it up and race. If it makes you feel better, go pay $600 for a WTC event. Look at what that would have gotten you at the recent Miami 70.3. This is the hardest endurance event that one person can do in a single day. Take pride in the fact that you did it at all.

Give me a break folks. Of the 1200 things that you encountered all day you focus on the two that went wrong. You don't like the swim, race in Augusta only. You don't like the bike, race a draft legal event. You don't like running in the dark, run faster so you can finish when the sun is up and not at 10pm.

Don't really agree with this. I don't hear a lot of complaints; rather, I hear people comparing notes about what they liked and didn't like. For me, it is actually nice to know that others experienced similar things. I have NO problem with the swim being harder than advertised- IMO the IM swim should be 5 miles to make it a little closer to the effort level required of a marathon, but us fishies are like that :-) What I don't like is that all over the event info you are told that blazingly fast times are expected so you prepare accordingly, tell your supporters to expect you at time X, when you are actually quite far off (I know, nothing is predictable but my swim times are usually pretty accurate), etc. Sure, people can be wrong but I am suggesting that they tone it down a little. Same thing with saying the run is flat. It isn't. Not hilly but I would not call it flat either. And the RD telling people the turn in the swim is in a different place to where it was? That is not great advice. And I am with tribee on the dangerous conditions later in the day with peeople leaving the finish and getting in the way of incoming bikes and runners. There were people milling about in the middle of the road when I ran by. Didn't bother me much but I can see that it would be a hinderance and not always safe.

I heard a lot of people saying that setup did a GREAT job. And they did. But there are always things to improve on and I actually don't think Jeremey would object to this kind of feedback so that he can hone his craft. And "grumbling" about the wind isn't bad...it's just people comparing notes and reminiscing about their day. I don't see the problem with that.

Edited by louiskie 2010-11-15 6:08 PM
2010-11-15 6:49 PM

Greensboro
I know my post may have sounded negative that's why I tried put in before I wrote my comment that I did have a great day. 

So if my post offended anyone I'm sorry-I know I had high expectations b/c of my experience last year from the half. I was expecting the full finish line to be similar and it felt like everything was packed up.

If I knew I was supposed to get a finisher's shirt I would have made sure I went and got it before we left.  I went to two of the mandatory race meetings b/c I was nervous I'd miss out on some important detail.
2010-11-15 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3212265

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

jmkizer - 2010-11-15 6:38 PM

Did you go to T2 on Friday?  It was still being set up when I got there but it helped immensely to have a rough idea of where my row was. 

Nope, I sure didn't, that's a good point.  I can't remember specifically why I didn't, but thought it wouldn't be a problem because my experiences at long distance tris are that the transition area is a mindless experience where everyone is really good at directing you.

I had never done a non-WTC 140.6 so I didn't know what to expect, I could've been proactive there.

Not being as structured as WTC has its pluses and minuses, and that contrast was interesting.  I was really impressed with the run, I saw little difference in the run between a WTC race and this one.  This race is also a lot more flexible with bag dropoff, and they would even let you bring your own bag, but didn't advertise such. I saw one guy left his morning bag on the rack the day before, that was an interesting idea.

We also had a cheaper race, and could include family members to events without breaking the bank.  The dinner and cruise here was $15 where WTC dinners are $35.  And who else offers a cruise?

The bike special needs area was interesting, it felt like a century ride aid station, with people racking their bikes and such.  Were people going inside to use the restroom?  It seemed really laid back.

I for one like the comments here, positive and "negative".  I get to see that I wasn't going crazy with things that caught my attention, like the crazy bike finish.

2010-11-15 10:13 PM

I thought I'd post my perspective, since this was my first stab at any distance beyond Olympic.

I was very happy with the pre-race information detail and thought everything was very organized, despite my ignorance and jitters about the logistical challenges of an iron distance event.

Things also seemed to go smoothly before the start while setting up at T1...no confusion or ambiguity there.  Bike tech support was fantastic too, when my rear valve blew out that morning.

Although I picked this race because I'm a weak swimmer, I (in hindsight) enjoyed the fact that the swim chop, current, cold was challenging for me.  I'd rather dig deep than feel like I cheated my way through the distance    Having said that, I think I added alot of unnecessary time to my swim because I was trying to go around a "wiggly man" boat that I swear the pre-race meeting said we *must* pass on our left.  Not sure if I misheard that or what, but the police boat came up behind me, siren blaring, and told me to stop chasing the boat and just go left.  I know I wasn't the only one so far right and we were WAY to the right.

I was put in the penalty box for looking hypothermic when I exited the swim at 1:49 or so.  They held me inside until about 2:01 until I could prove I wasn't going to keel over.  I'm glad they were concerned for my safety, but me and a couple of others were competing in the running-in-place olympics to see who could get cleared to leave the tent first.  Good times.

I thought the bike course was great and the roads/surfaces were awesome until the last couple of miles when we were negotiating a really tight shoulder that vehicle traffic was encroaching upon, with debris everywhere...had to slow down a lot.  Ditto previous posts about exiting competitors getting in the way and lack of support at T2.  The headwind for 75 miles was making me wonder if the wind was constantly changing directions to smack us in the face, but I really dug the final 37 miles...bee line with a tail wind -- that was FUN!  I had some trouble with support at bike special needs finding my bag, but the people were really nice, so they get a pass from me.

I haven't done any other marathons to compare to B2B, but the spectators are great at this one.  I like the course, despite the out-and-back twice idea.  It keeps the spectators packed together and there is still a good mix of terrain between the cobbles downtown, park trails, and highway bridges.

The finish area was not bad but a logistical nightmare to leave, when my body started to shut down.  Another ferry or two would be great.  I also thought it was odd that the bikes were not well guarded on Sunday morning...no fenced in area with wristband checks and whatnot.  I would take my bike home Saturday evening next time.  The food at the finish was cold, but so delicious anyway...and the best darn bud light I've ever had.

All in all, I had a great time.  I thought the race was good for a nervous first-timer like myself, from an informational and organizational standpoint and for crowd support.  I am glad to have joined in the fun and lived to tell about it!
2010-11-15 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Good job bt_bt, you had guts to do this race with only an Oly under your belt, and you proved your mettle last weekend.  Your warming tent story is awesome, that makes a great addition to your race story.  I too am glad that the swim turned out to be a normalish type of swim.

Speaking of the swim, am I the only one who didn't hear the start?  Maybe I was goofing off too much.  I thought we were still just walking through to the beach to get set up, and I see people swimming already.

Edited by kalalau 2010-11-15 10:39 PM
2010-11-16 2:19 AM

User image

Tell y'all what. I loved the race... again. Last year it was great. This year it was great. They run one of the best races I've ever come across.

T1 I grabbed my bag, found a spot on a table in the changing tent and went to town.
Special needs was great and the bridge hands we played were fun
T2 They bellowed my number as I came in, a lady took my bike and helmet from me, another lady handed me my bag as they ushered me to the changing tent.
Special needs for the run they bellowed my number and a lady rooted through my bag asking me if I wanted each piece so I didn't have to realize which each did or what it was (I was slightly out of it by then)

If you don't like it, don't sign up again. More spaces for me. I'll be back for this race after my foray to the world of M-Dot.
2010-11-16 2:22 AM
in reply to: #3212548

User image

kalalau - 2010-11-15 11:36 PM

Speaking of the swim, am I the only one who didn't hear the start?  Maybe I was goofing off too much.  I thought we were still just walking through to the beach to get set up, and I see people swimming already.

It wasn't a cannon. It was one of those air horns they use in a stadium. They didn't blast it for all that long but it's one of the frequencies I hear really good.
2010-11-16 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
I had some of the same issues many have discussed here.  But I agree with Dan my whole expierence from the begining to the end was great.  There were challenges for me and for the race.  I had two flats at mile 25 and 47 both rear wheels.  The first flat included a mechanical issue and bike tech support showed up and helped me keep going.  I wished it wouldn't have happended.  I wish they were 1 minute from where I broke down.  They were not but they showed up fixed me and off I went. I thanked them repeatedly.  I go 12 or so miles down the road and have another flat back wheel.  I have no spare.  I am given a spare by a fellow racer which I met later in the day.  What a guy to be willing to give up the only spare he had.  It wouldn't fit my wheel due to stem length. I had to wait on tech support again.  I wish they would have been 1 min away they weren't and no one could expect them to.  They showed up put a valve extender on and I am up and running. I thanked them again!  I have lost over and hour and am avg a whopping 12 MPH.  My point here is I didn't expect to have two flats before mile 51.  I had a spare in my special needs bag.  There were many things that we as racers have to deal with that are unexpected.  Some of the things mentioned on these posts can be fixed.  Some of them I think were out of the control of the race director. None of them were even close to a deal break in my opinon.  I got caught up in that traffic coming back in on the bike.  I don't know why it was so bad there but with as detailed as the planning was for this race, I believe that there is no way they would have run the bike course across those two bridges knowing the traffice would end up like this.  Was there a wreck that caused this?  Did the bridge beam delivery trucks add to this?  The race director said on the cruise that he did not know they were delivering these bridge beams.  I am sure he was upset as all of the racers who were affected by this.  Point is for my two cents.  I had issues I dealt with them and at the end of the day I will do some things differently and I am sure Set UP will also.  It was a great race and knowing everything I know about what happened I would do it again Saturday and really that is the question you need to answer.  Great Race!

2010-11-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3212780

User image

Toronto, Ontario

Here is my recipe for no more flats! After having 2 long rides messed up with flats I was not armed to deal with! I now have a pump, 3 CO cartridges, 3 tubes, 1 tire and a box with patches under my , have not had any flats since of course!

2010-11-16 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3212610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

DanielG - 2010-11-16 3:22 AM  It wasn't a cannon. It was one of those air horns they use in a stadium. They didn't blast it for all that long but it's one of the frequencies I hear really good.

Thanks.  Yeah I must've been goofing off too much.  I really should've been out near the beach.  I bet it was pretty obvious from there than back further.

2010-11-16 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3212780

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

[email protected] - 2010-11-16 8:55 AM Did the bridge beam delivery trucks add to this?  The race director said on the cruise that he did not know they were delivering these bridge beams.  I am sure he was upset as all of the racers who were affected by this. 

Yeah I wonder what that did to the race.  I am sure the RD freaked out when he saw that happen.  Things happen.  Earlier this year, I did a HIM where the county highway folks went out and put chips and tar on much of the bike course the day before packet pickup.  They had to reroute the entire bike course beyond mile 13.  Pretty crazy.  Makes life fun. :-)

2010-11-16 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3213281

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
kalalau - 2010-11-16 12:22 PM

[email protected] - 2010-11-16 8:55 AM Did the bridge beam delivery trucks add to this?  The race director said on the cruise that he did not know they were delivering these bridge beams.  I am sure he was upset as all of the racers who were affected by this. 

Yeah I wonder what that did to the race.  I am sure the RD freaked out when he saw that happen.

He did not look happy when we saw him with the trucks and beams, however, his head was not actually spinning.
2010-11-16 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3213128

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
arnenes - 2010-11-16 11:10 AM

Here is my recipe for no more flats! After having 2 long rides messed up with flats I was not armed to deal with! I now have a pump, 3 CO cartridges, 3 tubes, 1 tire and a box with patches under my , have not had any flats since of course!

I can now relate!!!

2010-11-16 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3212028

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
rottieguy - 2010-11-15 4:36 PM

From what I heard it's a copyright issue which Ironman holds the right's too, so halfs and fulls can't use 70.3 or 140.6, thus the reason they left off the .3 or .6

Actually, they hold copyright on 70.3, but not on 140.6.  But if the HIM medals are going to say 70 then I guess it makes sense for the IM medals to say 140.  Maybe better, though, to just come up with a different design.

GaryRM - 2010-11-15 6:13 PM Jcd ( Jeremy?), don't get too wound up on the comments.  Things happen, no event is ever perfect and I am sure there are complaints about Kona and every other race also.  Overall I thought it was a great race but I only did the swim/bike so I can't comment on the run.  Yeah, I could have check the tidal charts, etc but the bike aid stations were great.  Definitely some things that could have gone better and some mistakes were made but its a 17 hour operation.

I agree.  I don't think that's Jeremy.  Doesn't sound like him. 

DanielG - 2010-11-16 3:19 AM Tell y'all what. I loved the race... again. Last year it was great. This year it was great. They run one of the best races I've ever come across. T1 I grabbed my bag, found a spot on a table in the changing tent and went to town. Special needs was great and the bridge hands we played were fun T2 They bellowed my number as I came in, a lady took my bike and helmet from me, another lady handed me my bag as they ushered me to the changing tent. Special needs for the run they bellowed my number and a lady rooted through my bag asking me if I wanted each piece so I didn't have to realize which each did or what it was (I was slightly out of it by then) If you don't like it, don't sign up again. More spaces for me. I'll be back for this race after my foray to the world of M-Dot.

Agree on all points.

Do you need more than one space? Wink
2010-11-16 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Okay wish me luck.  I am going to attempt to sign up for IM Arizona on Monday for my second IM! Man I hope I get in!

Edited by [email protected] 2010-11-16 7:48 PM
2010-11-16 7:56 PM

Greensboro
Woo! Goodluck registering!  I am going to focus more on shorter stuff.  I like the half iron distance much more than the full.  I am going to try to put an Olympic tri on my schedule since I haven't done one yet.
2010-11-16 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3214040

User image

DanielG - 2010-11-16 3:19 AM More spaces for me. I'll be back for this race after my foray to the world of M-Dot.

Agree on all points.

Do you need more than one space? Wink

One for me, one for my gut. Like an airline seat

Edited by DanielG 2010-11-16 7:59 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32