General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Nashville, and Tri's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-24 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
Subject: New to Nashville, and Tri's
Hey folks,

Just poking my nose in here as I am pretty new to both the Tri's, the BT site, as well as the Nashville area.

Been running for a while now, and got a bike just under a year ago.  I am going to do a few sprints this summer, and one olympic.  

Going to do Memphis in May Sprint, Music City Sprint, and still looking for another sprint to do (or a few more, if you guys have any suggestions).  The olympic i am going to do is in Omaha (where i relocated from, so it will be nice to see old friends and have a nice, flat course .  Memphis will be my first Tri. 

Just thought i would introduce myself and say "hi"

2010-02-24 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2691334

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: RE: New to Nashville, and Tri's
Welcome to BT and the world of Tri's!

I lived about an hour outside of Nashville for about a year and it is a GREAT place!  Downtown - on nice weekend nights - is always busy! 

A place I visited a few times that some people don't know about is a replica of the Parthenon: http://www.nashville.gov/parthenon/  I never went in - I heard it was just another museum, but there is a nice park around and  a great place to go take pictures and other visitors :-D  It's really close to Vanderbilt campus too!

Also - within a few hours drive there are some great parks to go hiking!  I know in Central Tennessee there are a few parks that have waterfalls - VERY pretty!

Good luck settling in to your new city and on your tri's!!

PS - I love your ID!
2010-02-24 9:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
check out www.team-magic.com, they put on a lot of good races including the music city sprint you're talking about..
welcome to the site and hope to see you around at events.

Derek
2010-02-25 5:52 AM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
x2 on Team Magic. I only do sprints and I'll do 5 this year and a du, and a half mary, and a handful of 5ks.  There is the Nashville Triathlon Club, the Harpeth Bike Club (which hosts several rides each week), several century rides in the area each year, Nashville Striders running club, a 5k almost every weekend if you want to find it, Team Green hiking club and lots of greenways for walking, light biking, etc.

So there is plenty to do around here to keep you busy! Check out our Facebook thread too.  Welcome!
2010-02-25 7:07 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Welcome to Nashville! I live in Hendersonville, just a 5-10 minute drive from ACME Musltisport, which is the only triathlon shop in the area. Not sure what part of town you live in, but if you happen to be in the north suburbs, I am happy to help you get to know the tri community up here.
And welcome to BT, too!
Jessica
2010-02-26 5:03 PM

User image

Regular
Tennessee
Great to welcome you to Nashville!  I am also new to the BT site, but not to Nashville!  There is also a newer tri store in Franklin, Endurance Sports.  If you live South you should check it out.  Also for another sprint, I have really enjoyed the Cedars of Lebanon (also a Team-Magic event!).  The swim is a pool swim, which is why I chose it for my first tri 5 years ago, and I keep going back year after year.  Challenging bike course (hills), and a good time.  Don't miss eating at a pre-race dinner the night before at Demos, steak and spaghetti can't be beat.

"Wherever you go, there you are..." 

2010-02-26 8:50 PM

I like trifind.com where you can choose a state to search.  I look in Alabama and Kentucky and did my second ever tri last year in Hunstville, AL.   The STAR Triathlon in Manchester in Sept was great, and I'm planning to do one in McMinnville on May 29th, plus one in Murfreesboro in April sponsored by the Alpha Delta Pi sorrority at MTSU.   There has been one in Pulaski TN the past few years in June, and there's a canoe/trail/trail tri in Columbia in the fall.
The guys at Team Nashville are great for any endurance sport.
I am south of Nashville and also shop at Endurance in Cool Springs.  They fit me to my bike and helped me find a new saddle and butt butter.  They are very helpful and always seem to have something on sale in their store. 
I agree that the Nashville Striders are a wealth of info and contacts, and that there is a 5K every weekend.  Right now there is a marathon training run on the opposite weekends of local 5Ks to help prepare for the Country Music Marathon in April.  Come to a race and meet everyone!
2010-02-26 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
Thanks everyone for the welcome!  

I moved here in December from Omaha and am really liking the city so far.  I'm working at the Vanderbilt Medical Center and I live down in Green Hills and it's a pretty neat place with alot going on.  And it's not too far to get to some of the parks on the south part of town.  I have been running on Belmont, and love the fact that its so crowded on weekend mornings!  Keeps me motivated.  

I'm going to look into the different clubs and hope to meet some of you fine people at races and maybe some training runs/rides!  

2010-03-01 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
I see you have been introduced to Percy Warner Park.  Google "Flying Monkey Marathon."  Has a great course description!

Edited by orange223 2010-03-01 6:15 PM
2010-03-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2696440

Extreme Veteran
tntrigirl - 2010-02-26 8:50 PM I like trifind.com where you can choose a state to search.  I look in Alabama and Kentucky and did my second ever tri last year in Hunstville, AL.   The STAR Triathlon in Manchester in Sept was great, and I'm planning to do one in McMinnville on May 29th, plus one in Murfreesboro in April sponsored by the Alpha Delta Pi sorrority at MTSU.   There has been one in Pulaski TN the past few years in June, and there's a canoe/trail/trail tri in Columbia in the fall.
The guys at Team Nashville are great for any endurance sport.
I am south of Nashville and also shop at Endurance in Cool Springs.  They fit me to my bike and helped me find a new saddle and butt butter.  They are very helpful and always seem to have something on sale in their store. 
I agree that the Nashville Striders are a wealth of info and contacts, and that there is a 5K every weekend.  Right now there is a marathon training run on the opposite weekends of local 5Ks to help prepare for the Country Music Marathon in April.  Come to a race and meet everyone!

The race in Pulaski is the Monster Triathlon (sponsored by Deanna Glossup Foundation) and is a small but great event, killer ride!

The other is the Jailbreak triathlon which is a trip to do (typically in Sept), 3.5 mile canoe, 8 mile mtn bike and 2 mile trail run. You can do it as a relay or team, fun none the less..

Good luck!
2010-03-09 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2696485

User image

Hermitage TN (Down the street from Nashville)

BoobieDr - 2010-02-26 9:21 PM Thanks everyone for the welcome!  

I moved here in December from Omaha and am really liking the city so far.  I'm working at the Vanderbilt Medical Center and I live down in Green Hills and it's a pretty neat place with alot going on.  And it's not too far to get to some of the parks on the south part of town.  I have been running on Belmont, and love the fact that its so crowded on weekend mornings!  Keeps me motivated.  

I'm going to look into the different clubs and hope to meet some of you fine people at races and maybe some training runs/rides!  

Welcome to Music City,  there is a GREAT run group that meets @ the South side of the Parthenon every Monday evening 6pm comprised of mostly triathletes and runners of every pace and even a few walkers.  This is headed up by Stephen Taylor and is free, you'll really enjoy yourself and get some great workouts in the group has grown to almost 25-30 people.  McMinnville is a great race and is well organized by Team Magic.

2010-03-09 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2715959

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
Thanks Panama.  I'll look into that Monday group.  How long are the runs usually?  Right now i'm building for the music city 1/2, and monday's are generally recovery runs for me.  But i might come by a few times before the MCM and then start coming more often after that.  
2010-03-10 2:56 PM

User image

It varies and its totally up to what you feel like, maybe anywhere from 2-3 miles and up to maybe 6,  he challenges you cuz he changes it up every now and then by doing hill repeats and etc.  Hope to see you then

2010-03-10 4:03 PM

User image

Here's a link

http://www.musiccityrunners.com/index.html

2010-05-17 5:39 AM

Hello fellow exercisers.  I am not new to tri's but I am moving to Nashville in July, so new to the area.  What is a good area for biking and training rides?  Right now I am looking at Franklin.   I would really like to be close to an area with good running/walking trails.  I am pretty flexible, but want to be reasonably close to downtown Nashville. 
2010-05-17 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
Good running and walking trails = Percy Warner Park.  Great for biking too if you like hills, hills and more hills.  Killer workouts.

2010-05-26 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2862470

Percy Warner Park!  Great, thanks for the info.
2010-05-27 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
4 laps of the 11.2 loop at Percy will be great training for a half Ironman.  Throw in 5 and you'll nail it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Nashville, and Tri's Rss Feed