General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fibromyalgia? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-25 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Subject: Fibromyalgia?

Sooo, my doctor thinks I have some symptoms of Fibromyalgia.  I *do* have some of them, but not a lot of the major ones like being really tired all the time or having deep pain all over (mine is just my lower body and is more of a surface pain).  So I agree with him to a point, but still not 100% convinced that's what's wrong with me.  

Its been 2 years since I've done a triathlon and I'm DYING to race this summer, but every time I try running I "flare up".  Swimming and walking are great and cycling is ok.

Does anyone have any experience with Fibromyalgia?

2010-02-25 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2693776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Fibromyalgia?
My mom has it.  I am not 100% sure of all of her symptoms but I know she is tired a lot and often has aches throughout her body.  I could ask her some questions for you if you have any for her?  She is not nearly as active as you are though as she basically just goes on walks for exercise.
Maybe go to a different dr for a 2nd opinion too?
2010-03-04 2:26 PM

Oh yeah, for 14 years now.  I started training about 10 years ago and have only completed 2 triathlons after I upped my training about 5 years ago.  It is a listen to your body approach that I use.  If I feel all achy, but don't have major muscle spasms I can work out and feel better.  But if I have a muscle spasm I take it easy and do yoga or go for a walk.  I have also participated in a warm water exercise class for fibromyalgia and it is what actually got my on a regular training schedule.  Lately the exhaustion has been really getting to me.  Most of the time I can talk myself into going to the gym and working out.  I need 9 hour of sleep at night

I am starting up my training again and have to take a rest day after each workout.  It is a slow process but at least I can function.  I have recently started acupuncture therapy and it is really helping me with the pain and muscle spasms.  I also take 4 meds for the pain and sleeping problems.

I think the pain of fibromyalgia can take many forms.  I do not remember getting so absolutely exhausted when I first was diagnosed.  Let me know if you need any more info about it.  You look like you are in better shape than I am   Just keep going but treat yourself with kindness.
2010-03-04 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
My aunt has it and turned to accupuncture to help. For her it was really beneficial, and helped in ways western medicine just couldn't compare. She is much more active now, able to chase after her grandkids and things like that.
2010-03-28 10:08 PM

User image

I'm glad I found this thread.  I wasn't sure if anyone else here had fibro.  i've had it for maybe 15 years.  fibro is so strange.  no 2 people have it the same way.  i haven't been as bad as others (so far).  i started training about a year ago.  i've done a number of 5Ks and 1 tri.  i was next to last for the tri, but i was so happy and proud of myself it was totally worth it.  i'm really slow at all three sports but it's all about the finishing not the speed. 

i have to take it easy with training.  i was doing pretty well until the holidays.  then there were the blizzards.  then i went to help  my daughter when my fifth grandchild was born.  then there was the sinus infection.  so it's been a while since i have worked out regularly.  so now i'm starting all over again.  i had gotten to the point where i didn't hurt during/after workouts.  now i'm hurting some but i'm hoping to work through it.  we'll see.  each day is different and i have to take it one day at a time.

it's good to know there are other "fibros" here.

judy
2010-04-14 7:44 PM

I have Chronic fatigue (with the latest dr saying fibro) and agree listening to your body is the BIGGEST most important thing.  The stress of pregnancy does a number on my body and about a year after my last child was born I decided to try and start walking. If I walked for 30-45 min at a medium pace I would be literally flu like for 3 days.  Finally about 2 years later I decided to try again.  I just let myself be sick and as soon as I felt better I tried again.  It was torture in some ways because I was ALWAYS sick but I was so determined.  I was slowly able to do more and more without becoming sick.  When my tri trianing really stepped up I had a huge flare up again, my blood pressure kept dropping WAY too low and I could not recover.  My docter finally decided to try my on a thyroid meds even though my blood levels said I was low normal.  I guess they are finding a lot of people with CF/FIBRO need higher levels to function normally.  Can I just say it changed my life completely.  It has been one year now and I feel like I have my life back.  Not all docs are willing to try this but I have heard of more endocronoligists becoming familiar with this idea as well.  I still have to listen and often have to take a second rest day or else....

I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the posts yet, and am eager to hear from others as well!

2010-04-15 9:59 PM

User image

Louisiana

Check out this article:

https://www.drlowe.com/thyroidscience/reviews/lowe.yellin.6.17.08/ithr.review.6.17.08.pdf

The thyroid/FMS connection is becoming more widely recognized. The trick is to find a MD who is familiar with thyroid resistance and adjusting thyroid hormone levels using T4 and T3, not just levothyroxine (T4). Don't give up. If nothing else, take 5000IU Vitamin D3 and tan (if you are fair-skinned). D levels affect Thyroid hormone, hence the worsening of symptoms in the winter. Many FMS patients feel better after getting into a tanning bed.

2010-04-20 11:33 PM

Expert
Boise
I would go and get a 2nd opinion. Fibromyalgia tends to be fairly over diagnosed.

Edited by crazyquick23 2010-04-20 11:38 PM
2018-09-25 9:53 AM
in reply to: kylerboys

So glad to see this thread. I have had fibromyalgia for 6 years and am preparing to train for a 5K walk for next year. Our town has a marathon, half marathon and 5K run each September. Then I started thinking about a triathlon. With fibro, you wonder, Can I do this? It is encouraging to see that several of you have.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fibromyalgia? Rss Feed