Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 19s
Overall Rank = 321/1374
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 40/139
Pre-race routine:

Driving and more driving.

Event warmup:

Cold outside so just kept trying to move and shuddered at the lineups for the porta-potti.
Run
  • 1h 48m 19s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 05m 08s  min/km
Comments:

Happy with overall run. Felt really good for first 11 km and managed to keep fairly good pace to that point (under 47 mins for first 10 km). Legs felt great and managed to take in the scenery. Pace began to slow at 14 km mark due to lack of training and really slowed on climb up hill at 16 km mark. Passed other runners to 10 km mark but then started getting passed after that. Pacing still a big problem with my races.
Mentally began cursing my lack of training at the end of the race (only had 4 weeks training and longest run of 9 km). Did not train 5 days prior to raceday as shins hurting. Plan was to come in under 2 hour mark so mission accomplished.

What would you do differently?:

Maybe train for this distance??? Will try for a sub 1:40 half marathon distance later in season. Problems with hydration so will probably buy camelback-type device for training and races.
Post race
Warm down:

Raced to porta-potti for some well deserved relief. Ate my fool face off after the race. Had about 2 oranges, 4-6 cups of Gatorade, 3 full bananas and at least 10 cookies! people, I could not stop! Freaked out when I found out the Starbucks coffee had run out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Form was good but just did not have the base training to make the legs agree with what my brain was telling them to do. I'm beginning to suspect that age might be having some impact on all of this as well. I say that knowing full well that many people much older than myself kicked my ass out there, kudos to you all!

Event comments:

Really liked this course despite the fact that it kicked my ass. Will probably run it again to beat my time. Hills were definitely a challenge but who doesn't like a challenge?

Last updated: 2010-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:19 | 21.08 kms | 05m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 40/139
Overall: 321/1374
Performance: Average
165 ave. HR 182 max. HR
Course: Umm...Hilly! basically flat or downhill for first 8 km then uphill to 12 km mark. Longish hill at 16 km mark for just over 1 km then mostly downhill to finish. Course comprised of mostly rural roads and one small section of trail. Very scenic course with lots of variety to occupy the mind, no boring sections. Very nice, challenging 1/2 marathon course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes