United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 39m 31s
Overall Rank = 37/206
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:35. Had a great nights sleep. Felt good when I woke up. For breakfast I ate a banana, power bagel, and a powerbar. Also sipped on some Gatorade. No hiccups this morning. We left the house about 5:35 and ended up getting a great parking spot. We hung out in the back of the Xterra until the race.
Event warmup:

Ran for about 10 min. Didn't really need that much of a warm up because I wasn't really going hard today.
Had half a powerbar right before the start. Starting out it was about 37degrees. No wind. Really nice.
Run
  • 4h 39m 31s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

I had such a great race. Starting out for the first couple of miles it was pretty cold. It was about 37degrees out. I had on my red LG tri shorts on and my Adidas tech shirt. I knew it was going to warm up alot so that is what I decided to wear. I wore my new Injinji toe socks and they felt awesome. I love those socks.

I went out a little bit faster than I planned. I was running 8:45 miles but of couse it was early and I was feeling good. After about mile 7 I started to find my 9 min/mile pace. I felt good pretty much throughout the whole race. I was never breathing hard at all or felt like I was really pushing it. I probably could have gone a bit faster. Maybe could have taken 3-4 minutes of my time. At mile 24 I was starting to feel it and started to get in that zone. I actually started to run sub 9 min/miles because I was feeling really good.

Nutrition and stops

Mile 6 - Pee stop
Mile 10 - Gu packet & pee stop
Mile 13 - Stopped to see David & Toby
Mile 13.25 - Shot of beer
Mile 16 - Clif Shot
Mile 17 - Pee stop
Mile 21 - Gu packet & pee stop
Mile 21.5 - Stop to see David & Toby. Drink half of flat coke David had ready for me.
Mile 22 - Slice of banana & orange
Mile 24 - Gu packet

I think that is all I can remember. I really could have probably used a Gu packet around Mile 27 but I didn't have anymore. I should have kept an extra but they said there would be some at Mile 27.5. Oh well. Still felt good. Nutrition was great. Never really got hungary or anything and my fluid consumption was right on. The flat coke was really nice to drink.

David was out there for me with his dog Toby at Mile 14 and 21. It was great to see him and it really helped me along the way. It was really nice for him to bring the coke for me. He actually ran with me for about 0.25 miles. It was really cool. I got to see Carla at Mile 25 and 28. It is so encouraging to see her. She is such an awesome wife and she supports me so much. She actually competed in the 5k. She said a kid fell and scraped his knee up and it was bleeding really bad. So she wrapped one of his t-shirts around his knee and she gave him a piggy back ride for about 5 mins. She is amazing. She could have PR'ed if it wasn't for that.

My goal was 9:00min/miles and I hit it right on the dot. It felt amazing to hit my goal.

Wore my Newtons and my Ironman hat.

Gender place - 32/152 AVG time - 5:28:00

Total pace - 9:00/M

10K rank - 46_____10K - 54:34________10K pace - 8:47/M
13.1M rank - 47___13.1M - 1:56:21____13.1M pace - 8:53/M
30K rank - 49_____30K - 2:46:28______30K pace - 8:56/M
26.2M rank - 40___26.2M - 3:54:37____26.2M pace - 8:57/M

What would you do differently?:

I would not have done anything differently. Pace was perfect and nutrition and fluids were right on.
Post race
Warm down:

Couldn't really warm down at all. I could barely walk. It's funny how I could have kept running but when I tried to walk I couldn't hardly take a step because my calfes were killing me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Last updated: 2009-11-19 12:00 AM
Running
04:39:31 | 31.07 miles | 08m  min/mile
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 37/206
Performance: Good
Course: Course was really great. Few hills here and there, but overall it was a good course. We got to run through the Botanic Gardens for about a mile and that was really pretty with all the trees. I liked it when the Ultra split off from the marathon because it took us on the Trinity River Trails and I love those trails. That is where I used to train all the time, so I felt really comfortable when I was running there. Coming back into Downtown Fort Worth was a bitch though. It was about the last 2.5 miles and it was all hills. Man that was really tough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes