General Discussion Triathlon Talk » footwear, transitions, clipless...help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-05 1:13 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: footwear, transitions, clipless...help?
i searched through the archives here and found several questions and responses on this topic, but i couldn't get a sense for what most people do. i've been riding clipless for about 10 years, so i would prefer to go that route, but i'm not sure if that is standard or not. the race i am doing is a short course, and i am doing it with the goal of finishing, so saving lots of time isn't a big deal to me. so...

who uses toe clips and running shoes? why?

who uses clipless pedals? why? how do you make the transition from bike shoes to running shoes?

anyone ever do a tri in chacos?

2004-04-05 1:17 PM
in reply to: #16526

Champion
Subject: RE: footwear, transitions, clipless...help?
I'm going to do a Duathlon on Saturday. Start in running shoes, change to my Sidi bike shoes for the 10 mile bike, then back to running shoes for the 3rd leg. I'm so used to clipless pedals that I feel much more comfortable with them than using standard pedals with toe clips and running shoes. Even for a short event, I think the time spent changing shoes would be offset by my feeling faster and more comfortable on the bike with the clipless.

Max
2004-04-05 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I did my first tri with toe clips, then switched to clipless and it's much better. Practice cycling and running without socks (lots of baby powder helps), get elastic laces for the running shoes, practice getting in and out of your cycling shoes while they're attached to your bike, rehearse your transitions, etc. It takes a little extra practice but it's worth it.

Edited by CLLinIA 2004-04-05 2:50 PM
2004-04-05 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
there's no real advantage to using toe clips (although i do--monetary constraint). sure, my T2 is pretty dang quick, but my bike leg is not as good as i know that i'm capable of.

race with your clipless. it's worth it all around. your stroke is so much cleaner and more efficient. worth the extra time. even if you don't keep them attached to bicycle and insert your feet while riding...although it would be worth doing if you have the chance to practice. (o: although my friend says that it kinda hurts! but he's a maniac--he doesn't care!

i've heard people go both ways as to whether they wear socks or not. most of the people i train with love doing triathlons but are not expecting to ever be competitive, except if we're still competing when we're 80--maybe we can win the age group!! so they take the time for socks--the life of your shoes is probably extended some.

dana
2004-04-05 11:29 PM

, Alabama

I use clipless pedals and get into/out of them on the bike.  I have elastic shoe laces for the running shoes.  I have always worn socks on the bike and run, but right now I'm training to get used to no socks on the bike (I don't think I could ever do the running shoes without socks!) to cut down that transition time. 

Sharon

2004-04-06 2:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
hey autumn,
Toe clips and running shoes are ok for sprints if you aren't too worried about time. It means you wont have to change shoes twice and you will be out of transition faster with less chance of technical problems/crashing while getting your feet in. with joggers however, you wont gain the advantage of an upward pull in your stroke (or not to the same extent anyway), and the flex in the sole will mean it will be much less efficient

If you do choose to use clipless pedals, you will more than likely need to have them already attached to the bike, and put your feet in while riding/coasting once you get a bit of speed up (for safety reasons they wont usually let you put your slippery-cleated-road-shoes on and run to the mounting line).

i have my shoes on the bike, pedal a bit with feet on the shoes, then slip them on

aidan

Edited by Pro_rider 2004-04-06 2:31 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » footwear, transitions, clipless...help? Rss Feed