United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 20s
Overall Rank = 737/5520
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 80/341
Pre-race routine:

up at 07:00, turned on the tube and watched a little Hotel Babylon while i made my favorite pre-race breakfast, scrambled eggs and grits. added a banana for goo measure and drank a bottle of water.
Event warmup:

walked over to the start of the race which was only three blocks away, man its nice to be right there. was supposed to meet a few friends at the start. ran into Webb and we both had to pee so we walked back to my place to avoid waiting in the superlong port-a-potty lines. good move. made it back about 12 minutes before the start so it was perfect.

Run
  • 49m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

had set a goal of wanting to go under 50 minutes and that was going to be a challenge because all previous times at this race have been in the 54-55 range. we knew going out that we needed to stay to about an 08:10 pace to get in under 50. Webb and i ran together and we have discussed that there was no way we would have succeeded without running together. i set the pace for the first 4 miles and then started struggling a bit. Webb took over and pulled me through the rest of the way. the Polar was telling me that we were on pace to make our goal, all we had to do was hang in there. definately bested some mental demons, i was on the verge of capitulating several times during the last 2 miles but Webb silently pulled me through. it was perfect. passed every water station, just didn't want to slow down.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. this was a personal best and i didn't leave anything out there.
Post race
Warm down:

chilled at the end. walked around and sampled all the different food items they had for us. was very nice being there ahead of the vast majority of racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i still think i can go faster. the injury after the RocketsRun kept me from running for two weeks and i haven't been out much lately.

Event comments:

cool facts that the race results page list:
5520 racers today, 49% women, 51% men
i finished ahead of 96% of the women
620th out of 2818 men
80th out of 341 in age group
737th out of 5520 total runners

Past Results
2009 54:35
2008 55:23
2007 54:27

Last updated: 2010-01-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:20 | 06.21 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/341
Overall: 0/5520
Performance: Good
avg HR 185, max HR 198. i'm too old for this shit!
Course: same as the previous three years, starts on Texas for about 2-300 yards then right on Travis. runs about half a mile on Travis then left on Leeland and left on LaBranch. then its all straight for an eternity up and over a wicked bridge. that incline kills me every year. u-turn at Morris and back up Crawford back over the same bridge then its mostly done. last 3/4 mile is flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes