General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am terrible on the bike....HELP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-28 12:58 PM

User image

New user

Subject: I am terrible on the bike....HELP

I'm new to the sport and I'm already addicted! The problem is that I suck on the bike. I am a strong runner/swimmer, but people are passing me left and right on the bike. It's so frustrating. I currently have a cheap hybrid bike. Does type of bike really make much of a difference? I was looking at tri-bikes and some are thousands of dollars! Or do I just need to train harder on the bike? Please help =(

2010-02-28 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2698116

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: I am terrible on the bike....HELP
This column makes a strong case that proper position on a road bike is perfectly adequate for shorter tris: http://iamspecialized.com/triathlon/rider/jordan-rapp/752/#/blog...you can see that an aggressive tuck is quite aerodynamic; it'll make a huge difference in speed over an upright comfort position.

My advice is always to spend time on club rides - they make the miles go by at a fast clip, and build your skills and fitness. If you don't have experience in the tuck and hill climbing on a machine that's built for it, you'll pick up quite a bit of speed once you spend a few weeks on it.

2010-02-28 1:12 PM

Master
Just keep at it. At this point, what you really need is time in the saddle, and lots of it. It just takes time to build endurance, speed, and to toughen up your legs. Make sure you vary your riding with some long rides and some shorter rides where the focus is more on speed.

I wouldn't run out and buy a new bike thinking that it's going to make all the difference. Even though most here (myself included) will tell you to focus on the engine...having a tri bike vs. your hybrid would probably increase your average speed (as would a road bike which may be something to consider as well) a little bit but it's highly unlikely it's going to double your speed.

Welcome to BT by the way

2010-02-28 1:14 PM

User image

Both.

A hybrid bike with platform pedals is slower.  But you can still ride pretty fast on them if you train hard enough.  I know plenty of people who could dust me with a hybrid.  Conditioning is the #1 way to get faster.

If you do have platform pedals, maybe you might want to look into getting some clipless pedals and shoes.  That may run you about $150 for everything, but if you do decide to get a road or tri bike, it's still compatible as most road/tri bikes don't even come with pedals...so you would have to buy them anyway.  Clipless pedals will help you put much more power into each stroke as you can pull the pedal on the way up.

If you don't have any other money to spend...then just train harder.  Unless you're averaging 18 mph for a 30-60 minute ride on your hybrid...you still have lots of room for improvement on your level of bike fitness. 
2010-02-28 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
The bike is my weak link, too. For me its a bit of a viscious cycle: I don't like the bike, I don't train as much on the bike, I don't do well on the bike, I don't like the bike, etc.
The answer for both you and me is more time in the saddle. Of course if you have the money, go ahead and get the pimped out bike of your dreams. Otherwise, just ride more. A lot more. I skimped on my bike training for both my first and second tris. It showed in the results. Now I'm concentrating on getting on the bike four times a week. We'll see come spring how that pays off for me.
Good luck and welcome to BT.
2010-02-28 2:00 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Bike longer and more often. The bike is that simple. (sort of)

2010-02-28 2:33 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Yes, welcome to BT

It really just is more time in the saddle. Don't worry about the bike--I rode a crappy old steel bike with cruiser bars right through my first half-Ironman.

Get it wherever and however you can. I put lots of time in commuting ... to work, the grocery store, errands, pleasure rides where I didn't feel like getting into cycling clothes ... it adds up.
2010-02-28 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran

I don't think anyone else mentioned the tires yet.  If you have big knobby tires on your hybrid, then yes, it will be much slower.

1) Start by upgrading to relatively high-pressure slick tires if you don't have them already.

2) Fit is also _very_ important.  If you aren't setup correctly on your bike, or it doesn't fit you, then that's going to slow you down a ton.  And the adjustments are subtle. A 1/2" of seat height difference is HUGE.

3) Then as others mentioned, get some cycling shoes and pedals.

Start with all of that.  Until you start reaching the limits of your hybrid, there probably really isn't any need to upgrade to a tri bike.

2 cents.
2010-02-28 2:54 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Time in the saddle (T.I.T.S) will help.  Save the money and get a nice road bike, that will make a huge difference.  Hybrids are heavy and weigh at least twice as much as a roadie.  I did my first tri on a hybrid, it stunk.  Got a roadie before my second tri, huge difference in my ride.

2010-02-28 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2698255

User image

Master
White Plains NY
QueenZipp - 2010-02-28 3:54 PM

Time in the saddle (T.I.T.S) will help.  Save the money and get a nice road bike, that will make a huge difference.  Hybrids are heavy and weigh at least twice as much as a roadie.  I did my first tri on a hybrid, it stunk.  Got a roadie before my second tri, huge difference in my ride.

ha! I'll have to remember that acronym. Great advice.
2010-02-28 7:43 PM

Veteran
Roanoke, VA
I am in the same boat.  I am a good swimmer and a decent runner, but just get crushed on the bike.

For whatever it's worth, my plan is to start showing up for local group rides and try to hang in for as long as I can.  I'm hoping that over time I'll start to show some improvement.  In the past I've tried to ride by myself and that hasn't led to much improvement.

Good luck!

2010-02-28 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
The secret to benefiting from group rides is to ride with a group that is a little faster than you, not one that is too fast and drops you like 3rd Period French or one that slows you down.
2010-03-01 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
I agree with the more time riding but will take a different approach on the bike.  I think you should go for a new properly fitted road bike.  Yes, you can finish a tri on a hybrid but if the goal is to get in more time training, a more comfortable and faster bike will more likely get you out training.  I'm not saying you need to drop big bucks but using the proper tool for the job will make it more enjoyable.

Ernie

2010-03-01 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2698707

User image

Veteran
St. Cloud, MN
greyg8r - 2010-02-28 8:03 PM... and drops you like 3rd Period French or one that slows you down.

What movie is that from? I can hear the line but just can't place it.

Time in the saddle, of course. But if you want to be a better biker a better bike sure doesn't hurt. Maybe a road bike to start in case the tri thing doesn't pan out, or if you are really set then get fitted on a tri bike.

Having a bike that you are really comfortable on makes a lot of difference, imho.
2010-03-01 10:23 AM

What things make you fast on the bike?  Training and equiptment both contribute to your speed.  When you feel committed to the sport, you should buy a bike.  Your budget will dictate what you get.  Many people draw the assumption that your budgetary constraints are the primary driver.  I get this but it isn't automatically true for everyone.

Even if your budget is a motivating factor, there are ways to get on a decent bike without breaking the bank.  There are tons of people out there that over bought bikes before they were fully committed to cycling and they would like nothing more than the opportunity to mitigate their losses.  That two wheeled loss collecting dust in their garage can be your gain.  Sidenote, be careful not to get taken.  Get any used bike checked out by a professional at your local bike shop before making the exchange.

My first bike wasn't anything special to anyone but me.  I loved that bike and still ride it all the time.  I have a great TT bike too.  The thing I have noticed is that there is always someone with sweeter gear.  This is a sport of gear junkies.  It's part of the fun but it doesn't mean that you can't be satisfied with your gear from time to time.

I think it is important to have a road bike.  It makes you more connected to the sport.  You can definitely get stronger on your hybrid, at the gym, in spin class, on the trail, etc.  I just think there is a mental advantage to talking the talk even if you aren't totally ready to walk the walk.

One last piece of advice.....  Don't buy a speed helmet yet.  Good luck on the training.

http://bradarmould.wordpress.com/

2010-03-01 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2699657

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

You absolutely will get better!  Keep riding.

I started on a hybrid and found the rides started out fun, but then got more and more aggravating because I was (1) passed a lot, and (2) got tired.     This ALL changed when I got a new bike.

I started with a $75 1980s Raleigh 10-speed from Craigslist.  It was so much smoother!  The narrower tires, more foreward positions, etc, made it a lot more fun and fast.    If cost is an issue, there might still be a way with an older bike.  My husband rides old steel roadies and kicks my butt regularly (can easily go upwards of 20 mph).

I soon invested in an entry-level road bike (Trek) and still love that bike.  My average speed went up about 4 mph, with the same level of fitness.  No lie.

Good luck and keep riding!

2010-03-01 10:44 AM

User image

Runner

Goldenspike - 2010-02-28 1:58 PM

The problem is that I suck on the bike. I am a strong runner/swimmer, but people are passing me left and right on the bike. It's so frustrating.

No, the problem is that you are using negative terms.

Scout's (new) First Golden Rule:

Never EVER describe your abilities in a negative way.  "Hate", "Suck", "Slow" are all banned four letter words.  All you do is limit yourself with this sort of thinking.

As for improving your cycling fitness, refer to other posts.

2010-03-01 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2699741

Veteran
Roanoke, VA
Scout -

Thank you for your post!  I also get down on myself for how "bad" I am on the bike.

I need to be more positive and your email was a great reminder.
2010-03-01 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2699741

User image

Expert
Scout7 - 2010-03-01 10:44 AM

Goldenspike - 2010-02-28 1:58 PM

The problem is that I suck on the bike. I am a strong runner/swimmer, but people are passing me left and right on the bike. It's so frustrating.

No, the problem is that you are using negative terms.

Scout's (new) First Golden Rule:

Never EVER describe your abilities in a negative way.  "Hate", "Suck", "Slow" are all banned four letter words.  All you do is limit yourself with this sort of thinking.

As for improving your cycling fitness, refer to other posts.

Nicely put, Scout! I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm slogging through a long workout...
2010-03-01 3:42 PM

User image

New user

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm really glad to have found this forum. Everyone's advice was great! Thanks a bunch =)
2010-03-01 3:47 PM

I always find I get MUCH faster when I start mtn biking as well.  There's something about being off road, pedaling over obstacles, probably the resistance being in dirt on 45 psi tires vs. hard pavement at 110 psi and generally more hills that makes for an intense workout.  Plus it's fun so I think I pound it out more.  Do you mtn bike or can you on your hybrid?  The cross training can help!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am terrible on the bike....HELP Rss Feed