B.A. Event Promotions
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 53s
Overall Rank = 505/2706
Age Group = M18-29
Age Group Rank = 89/211
Pre-race routine:

Kinda hectic, actually. I woke up at 6:45, was out the door at about 7:35 after downing some oatmeal, water and coffee, then picked a friend up on the way. We were fine time-wise...or so we thought. Hyannis is a big race, obviously, we just didn't factor in the traffic we'd hit once we got down there. It took us half an hour to travel the last mile.
Event warmup:

None...partly because I didn't really feel like warming up--I'd get loose on the course--partly because we got there at 9:50 and the race was scheduled to start at 10.
Run
  • 1h 43m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Normally I go too hard in these things. I start out guns blazing only to crawl home. However, the last few races I've been able to pace myself much better and it's led to much stronger finishes. I had told myself I'd do 3 8-minute miles to start, then depending on how I felt I'd settle in around 8-min/mi or 8:15; and close out with a 23-23:30 minute 5K. I hit it right on the head, my second lap was 7:46 and my 5th lap was 8:14 but other than that I was hovering around--mostly under--8 min/mi, then I closed with miles of 7:24, 7:28, 7:19.

The first mile of my 'kick' at the end I felt fantastic, stronger than I had all race, and that carried on until about mile 12.5, when the overall running time and my elevated HR (I was sitting about 182-185 the last three miles) seemed to drag me down. It was a half-mile mini rollercoaster: I'd start to slouch, feeling the heaviness in the legs, the feet burning, my breath ragged. Then I'd stand tall, concentrate on good form and tell myself I was going sub-7:30 this last mile if it killed me. That battle continued through to the very end, and I'd like to say the good side won out but if I was truly strong I wouldn't have even let myself slouch for a second. Thankfully this was just a training run and not a big race for me, I'd be pretty disappointed if I let myself unravel like that in the last 800 meters.

However, that aside I'd say it was damn near a perfect race for me. I had a realistic goal time, broke that down into a solid strategy that I executed to a T. I beat my goal time by a little more than a minute, but I'm less happy about that than the simple fact that I was able to hit my goal time in every single mile of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Maybe grab one more cup of water along the course but that's a minor, minor quibble.
Post race
Warm down:

After I stopped my head from spinning I did a real abbreviated stretch, my buddy and I had to get out of there pretty quick so I didn't do as much as I would have liked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being faster, simple as that. I'd say more tempo runs and speedwork but in the end it's just me not being a fast runner right now. More 40+ mile-per-week running weeks, if I keep this up for a year I'm willnig to bet I'll be faster.

Event comments:

Only thing keeping it from a 5 is no beer tickets. Most races I've done they give you at least one beer ticket, this one it was a cash bar. I'm not sure I would have even wanted a beer with an 80 min drive ahead of me, but I at least like the option.

Last updated: 2009-11-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:52 | 13.1 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 89/211
Overall: 505/2706
Performance: Good
Course: One loop around the streets of Hyannis, mostly flat and relatively scenic, with some beautiful Cape homes lining the course and some ocean/beach views along the way. Nice, flat course that was made for a fast race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-01 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Subject: Hyannis Half Marathon

2010-03-01 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2699415

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: RE: Hyannis Half Marathon
Nice job.  I like the course.  Good luck in Boston!

I'll see you at Timberman in August!
2010-03-01 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2699415

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Hyannis Half Marathon
Great race and great execution of your plan.

The last mile is tough as it is mostly up hill.  

We got there at 8:15 to get across the street parking and easy in and out of the hotel. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis Half Marathon Rss Feed