United States
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 09m 11s
Overall Rank = 250/1390
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 45/207
Pre-race routine:

Didn't get enough sleep. Drank water before the race instead of gatorade which I think helped. Had endorolytes, but I needed more, stored them in a pouch.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little. Jogged about 100 feet. Swam a few strokes in the water before the race.
Swim
  • 35m 10s
  • 2160 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wasn’t too concerned about this swim as this is usually one of my stronger legs, however this swim was a bit elusive. This was my first non-lake swim of the year. I started next to the buoy and headed for the 2nd one and was fairly straight. I decided to kick as little as possible to save my legs for the bike. After the 2nd buoy I couldn’t see the next one due to the sun and checked every few strokes, but couldn’t find it so I just followed the crowd. By the time I figured out where the buoy was I was pretty far off course. I tried to work my way back, but it seemed like I kept getting lost and I couldn’t seem to swim straight (not a problem in lakes). I eventually found the turn and had the same problem on the return. I thought without the sun in my eyes it would be better, but I still seemed to swim way off course and had to keep correcting.
What would you do differently?:

Do a better job sighting the course ahead of time and use breakstroke if I don't see the buoy after 2 looks. Use my shaded goggles if it is sunny.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Bike
  • 2h 35m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Man… that’s a long way to ride. This was only the 2nd time I have ridden over 42 miles. Two weeks before the race I did a 62 mile ride (supposed to be 58, but I made a wrong turn). It was much easier in my bike shorts as compared to my tri shorts and a couple ten minute rests would have been nice. I wasn’t sure what to eat on a ride like this, but luckily my new Triathlon Bible arrived at my doorstep as I was walking out the door to head to the race on Saturday. My wife, Lynn, was nice enough to find the nutrition section while we drove and we figured out how often I should probably eat and how much. I chose to eat gu gel and hammergel every 45 minutes, had an endorolyte every hour (until I ran out) (p.s. – Greg, thanks for the tip on the pouch for the tablets), and drank as much as I could stomach. On the first pitstop I got a replacement Gatorade and as I was putting it in my slot on my bike I dropped it. So much for the extra liquid (luckily I made it to the next stop before I needed it). I proceeded to drop the next 2 Gatorades that I tried to grab, but finally got the hang of it (maybe slowing down a little would have helped). The ride was long and windy, but I felt better than I thought I would. The last 20 miles was tough and I stood up fairly regularly to stretch my legs.

Maybe focus a little harder on staying in an aero position when I'm crouched. Make sure I have enough endorlytes. Slow down slightly when I pickup drinks. Continue to make sure I eat before I'm hungry. It was good to set my watch timer to alarm when I should eat.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Run
  • 1h 54m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Ughh… When I started the run I had no idea how I would finish. The most I had ever run was 12 miles less (less than a week before the race). I ran frequently in training, but I haven’t done the long runs and I wanted a little confidence before the race. I wouldn’t recommend running so far this close to a race. Luckily, my leg cramps subsided the day before the race. As I was about a half mile into the race, I decided my goal would be to not walk on the run. I never walked on a run before, so figured it was a good goal (granted I never ran a race longer than 9 miles). I figured I could slow down a lot, but I wanted to try not to walk. I made it through the first water station (Mile 1) still jogging and sipping some water (felt awful). Well before the 2nd water station (maybe Mile 3) I realized I wouldn’t make my goal and walked through the station. For the rest of the run I focused on making it to the next mile marker or water station (walked through every one). Luckily, the mile markers seemed to be spaced between the stations, so it gave me something to shoot for. Each water station consisted of 2 cups of water (one to drink and one to pour on my head) and 3 saltines which I would like the salt from (since I lost my endurolytes I was afraid I would start to cramp, but luckily I didn’t). I kept thinking… why couldn’t a marathon be 24 miles, so a half would only be 12 miles. I met lots of nice people along the way and plugged along as best I could. I was timing my miles and was happy when I figured out that the mile markers weren’t set properly. I was concerned when my 1st mile took 10.5 minutes (goal pace was 9 min/mile), but when I ran a 5:50 min mile on Mile 6 I knew the markers were off since my pace hadn’t changed.

Put ice down my shirt and maybe chew on ice to cool down. Bring more endorolytes so I didn't have to waste time licking the saltines. The visor was key.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around for 2 hours before I sat down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, training

Last updated: 2005-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:10 | 2160 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/207
Overall: 186/1390
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Choptank River - A lot of current; had trouble finding the buoys. Should have used breakstroke to help sight buoys so I could stay on the course better.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:35:42 | 56 miles | 21.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 57/207
Overall: 240/1390
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:54:05 | 13.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 68/207
Overall: 299/1390
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back - hot, sunny course
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-16 9:05 PM

New user

Clarksville, MD
Subject: Eagleman

2005-06-17 7:48 AM
in reply to: #176489

User image

Veteran
Bowie, MD
Subject: RE: Eagleman
Great job on the race. All your times are better than mine and it looks like I ran and biked a lot more in training. Fantastic job.
I've never walked in a race either but by the 2nd aid-station I decided i would have to walk through the aid-stations or I wouldn't finish.
Great transition times too!

Have a great weekend. Hope your recovery is going well
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eagleman Rss Feed