General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disneyland Family Fun Run 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-01 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: Disneyland Family Fun Run 5k
Has anyone done this 5K at Disneyland on Labor Day weekend? They label the 5K as a "Family Fun Run". I thought I'd have my 8 and 9 year old train for it too. But, on the website it says that you have to maintain 16 minute miles or faster. Seems odd for a "family" run. I've never seen that even on a regular 5k, much less a family one.

Has anyone done this?

2010-03-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2699919

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: Disneyland Family Fun Run 5k

I did the half marathon in 2008.  It was pretty fun, and I think the kids would have a blast.  The start and end of the half marathon go through the parks, and I imagine that's where most of the 5K would be.  Lots of characters and picture opportunities.

Don't know how strict they are about pacing on the 5K (that does seem unusual for a "family fun run").  They supposedly have the same pace limit and a time limit of 3.5 hrs for the half marathon, but I took a look at last year's results and there were a lot of official times posted that were over 4 hours so I'm guessing that they cut you some slack on that.

2010-04-01 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2699919

User image

Veteran
Highland CA
Subject: RE: Disneyland Family Fun Run 5k
I did the 1/2 and my wife did the 5K.  I think you could walk/run that pace with kids but....  You wont have to have to worry.

They wait for the last person to cross the start before they begin the pacing. I think the way it works is they give the last person to cross the start and then they time for 59 minutes or whatever it works out to be.  IF you have not crossed the finish at 59 minutes they pick you up. 

It took FOREVER for everyone to cross the start when my wife did it. I stood there on the side and talked to her for quite a while before they got going.

Start mid pack at the start and have fun.  There are lots of walking groups that do it and finish.

As a side note.  It is expensive and there are a lot of people doing it. You will be forced to walk in some areas because so many people have to pass through narrow areas within the park.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disneyland Family Fun Run 5k Rss Feed