General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training during triathlon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-02 10:09 AM

User image

Subject: Weight training during triathlon training
Hello everyone- I am curious to get people's perspective on weight trianing during triathlon training.  I am a big fan of weight training and typically try to lift three times a week.  However, with the increased in training for the different legs of the triathlon and having two a days a few days a week...I think I will find it difficult fitting in weight training as well.  I don't want to give it up because it provides such advantages for overall fitness and performance so I'm going to shoot to try to get 2 days of lifting in addition to my training sessions for the tri.  It may be too much though...

2010-03-02 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2702043

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Weight training during triathlon training
you can do a search for this never ending debate.
But... the highlights are:

If you could be weight training or tri training and you want to improve in triathlon... you should be tri training.

Strength in the gym does not equal strength on the bike/run/swim

It is not proven lifting prevents injuries

There are some good reason's to strength train... improving in triathlon is not one of them.

(all this from a former bodybuilder)
2010-03-02 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I haven't lifted weights in a long time,  I just don't have the time for it.  More time I put into running and biking the faster I get at those (notice how I didn't say swimming!). I do core workouts couple times a week. I'll save weight training for the next phase when ever that comes around.
2010-03-02 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
I hit the weights 1-2 times per week, but in reality I am doing high reps low weights, plenty of core type stuff.  You won't want to be carrying around a lot of extra muscle on any of the events really.
2010-03-02 10:24 AM

User image

Thanks for the feedback...and as a point of clarification...my weight training consists of alot of functional trianing.  It is lower weight, higher reps with exercises that are meant to improve athletic performance (not bodybuildling type of stuff).  There is a lot of research that shows that strength and conditioning can improve athletic performance...it's just a matter of finding the time to do it.  I do agree that you need to choose the tri specific training over weight training if a choice has to be made...
2010-03-02 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
New York
While training for my HIMs and shorter distance tri's, I like to do weight training because I enjoy it and it feels good. But as far as improving your speed on tri sports, I don't really feel anything does that except doing the specific tri sports. I have seen sections in tri books--specifically the Triathlete's Training Bible--which do recommend certain exercises to strengthen the muscles you use in swimming, biking and running. But I'm not sure if that's really the best way to spend your time training. I'd rather be in the pool than doing triceps dips, or on the bike instead of doing squats. And now, training for a much longer distance, I find I don't have any time to be in the weight room anyway.

However, from *personal* experience (so, not to flat out disagree with previous poster re: injuries, please consider this an n = 1 example), I use weight training to strengthen muscles that are somewhat neglected in my tri training--specifically to avoid injury. I had a nasty case of ITB earlier this year, and discovered I had very weak hips, which may have contributed to the problem. So now I do exercises to strengthen those muscles (in addition to stretching and rolling) and my ITB is totally behaving. (Take with lb of salt, I'm not sure it would work for everyone, but in my case, it definitely helped!).

Other than that, the one area I have found strength training has been worth it for specific tri sport benefits is in my abs. Having a stronger core totally helps in keeping better running form and also feeling more comfortable and stronger in aero on the bike.

2010-03-02 10:40 AM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
I still lift 2-3 days a week depending, but I leave the legs alone.  I've read it's couter-productive to strength train and endurance train the same muscle group.  Its a bit of self-serving research on my part, normally I can't move after a good squat and lunge day.  Don't miss those workouts at all during the season.
2010-03-02 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Echo.  FWIW, I do it because I like it, not because I think it helps me be a faster triathlete.  If time is an issue and sacrifices need to be made, then you need to prioritize just like anything else in life.....
2010-03-02 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2702061

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Leegoocrap - 2010-03-02 11:16 AM you can do a search for this never ending debate.
But... the highlights are:

If you could be weight training or tri training and you want to improve in triathlon... you should be tri training.

Strength in the gym does not equal strength on the bike/run/swim

It is not proven lifting prevents injuries

There are some good reason's to strength train... improving in triathlon is not one of them.

(all this from a former bodybuilder)

I agree completely!
The only thing I would add is that for most AGers it should come down to a matter of time.  If you have time to do it in addition to your SBR training, then great, do it, because it is unlikely to hurt your race performance.  If you are having trouble finding enough time to get your planned SBR sessions in each week, then you probably shouldn't even consider doing weight training.
2010-03-02 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

jenniferrichmond - 2010-03-02 11:09 AM Hello everyone- I am curious to get people's perspective on weight trianing during triathlon training.  I am a big fan of weight training and typically try to lift three times a week.  However, with the increased in training for the different legs of the triathlon and having two a days a few days a week...I think I will find it difficult fitting in weight training as well.  I don't want to give it up because it provides such advantages for overall fitness and performance so I'm going to shoot to try to get 2 days of lifting in addition to my training sessions for the tri.  It may be too much though...

The bold part is reason enough to continue weight training. So don't quit unless your priorities change. Weight training is good for you in general.

2010-03-02 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
I weight train to maintain what strength I've got.. that's it. Plus while dieting down it helps to keep most of the weight loss to be fat loss.. but once I stop my diet and the the clocks change, I'll be having a hard time to find the gym time.

2010-03-02 12:58 PM

Veteran
I have done it both ways but I typically start weight training about 15 weeks out from a key event. Once you get over 40 you start to lose muscle and gain fat much easier as the metabolism slows. I have found my greatest benefit is from weights which strengthen my back muscles for swimming and leg presses which help my biking, especially hill segments. Plus, I like the overall conditioning it gives me. However, once I start to get closer to main races I will miss a weight workout over anything else if need be.
2010-03-02 12:58 PM

Veteran
I have done it both ways but I typically start weight training about 15 weeks out from a key event. Once you get over 40 you start to lose muscle and gain fat much easier as the metabolism slows. I have found my greatest benefit is from weights which strengthen my back muscles for swimming and leg presses which help my biking, especially hill segments. Plus, I like the overall conditioning it gives me. However, once I start to get closer to main races I will miss a weight workout over anything else if need be.
2010-03-02 6:55 PM

Veteran
I do strength training 4 times a week. It works out great because every exercise, weather doing bicep curls or leg work, hits the core, which is great. I have to get this training in otherwise my back and hip muscles get injured.
2010-03-02 7:08 PM

Lifting heavy 2x a week should be enough to keep the strength you have. Keep it basic: squats, row, push ups or chest press and deadlift.

In fall and winter usually I lift 3x a week and get stronger. I switch to a mostly paleo diet and keep cardio to HIIT.

Come spring, I only lift 2x week for maintenence, reintroduce carbs and start endurance traing and ss cardio.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training during triathlon training Rss Feed