Cheetah Herders
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 49m 30s
Overall Rank = 60/339
Age Group = F16-39
Age Group Rank = 53/255
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Missoula with Amanda Friday night. As usual, there were problems. Amanda's car (which we planned to drive to the race the next day) overheated and was undrivable. So we spent most of the afternoon fixing that - on our own - which we were pretty proud of (confession: we did consult with Dad on the phone quite a bit). Made ravioli and garlic bread and finally went to bed around 11:30. Sula was up whining most of the night, which was super frustrating. We found out the next morning that she was sick. Guessing she got into Amanda's compost pile again. We hoped that she would be okay for the run. Ate oatmeal and drove the hour to Seeley Lake. Ate a cliff bar in the car and drank gatorate and water. We were in a long procession of cars and wondered if they were all going to the race. They were! Stood in line for 15 minutes or so to get registered. Luckily we were there early - apparently so many people showed up, they ran out of numbers! Made a last stop to drop off our stuff and realized that Sula puked in the car. Worried that she wasn't feeling good enough to run but decided to go for it. Ate some hammer gel and waited in a mass of runners, dogs and mud for the gun.
Event warmup:

Did a bit of jogging and stretching.
Run
  • 1h 49m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Realized I forgot my Garmin at the start, which was a bummer. I had hoped to get mile splits, but in the end maybe it was better that I forgot it and could just go with how I felt. Start was pretty slow but people finally spread out. Felt good and passed lots of people for the first 6 miles or so then settled into a good pace. Usually Sula is out in front but she was dragging and I had to stop 3 or 4 times for her. Finally at Mile 8 whatever it was worked its way out and she felt better, which was good timing because I started feeling a bit tired. There were fun signs all along the course saying things like "Toenails are for wimps" "Pain ahead" "Jokers do it once a year". It was really fun. The dogs added a lot of smiles too. Some dressed in cheetah suits. Amanda ran alongside a pug for part of it! I was expecting the hills to be a lot worse than they were, hardly noticed them at all. My right hamstring started to twinge a bit at Mile 10 and my hip flexors were definitely sore in the last mile, but my breathing was under control the whole time and I feel like I could have pushed it a bit more between miles 6 and 10. Wish I had my split times! Had a quick swallow of energy drink at both aid stations. Miles 6 and 10. Thought about eating another hammer gel, but it was hard to get to since I shed my had and gloves and stuffed them all in my back pocket, plus I haven't tried eating gels while running. Should practice this.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This was a really fun. Maybe drink more the day before. Felt a bit dehydrated the last couple of miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched Amanda and other friends finish. Photos. Watched a bit of the awards which was pretty wild. Winners won cheetah print sashes and had to take an oath saying things like they pledged to wash their running socks at least once a year. Pretty hilarious. Changed in the car. Wished for comfortable, dry shoes. Inspected toe damage (not too bad, one slightly purple toe). Ate bananas. Realized when we got back to Missoula that a forgotten banana peel managed to ride all the way home on top of the car! Cold drinks with Holly and Tim and Amanda at the Kettlehouse, celebration dinner with Manda at the depot and home to watch a movie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience.

Sula may have slowed me down a tiny bit. But it's hard to say because she also kept me happy and kept me going at the end.

Event comments:

This was my first half marathon. My sister and several friends signed up as well and it was their first too. It was fun to share the experience with others, including my constant canine running partner, Sula. I had no idea what to expect and had hoped to break 2 hours. I was happy with the whole experience and look forward to more half marathons to come!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:30 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/255
Overall: 60/339
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around Seeley Lake with some muddy, icy, snowy patches.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-03-02 10:17 PM

User image

Montana
Subject: Snow Joke Half-Marathon

2010-03-06 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2703783

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Snow Joke Half-Marathon
Good job. Awesome race report. Sounds like a super fun time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snow Joke Half-Marathon Rss Feed