Carolina Godiva Track Club
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 17m 46s
Overall Rank = 142/163
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm clock at 6:15. Made a bacon egg & cheese bagel. Had some Coke and took all my medicine. Spoonful of yougurt to help avoid the antibiotic side effects.

Getting ready for running races is SO much easier. It was a little complicated because I just wasn't sure how many layers I wanted and I didn't know if I would have to carry Gatorade. Did not have to carry and just wore shorts, tech tee, long sleeve tech tee, cheap gloves I could lose, and a thin under armour hat.
Event warmup:

One little jog up the road, maybe a hundred yards and back. Got to meet jkholden right before the start.
Run
  • 5h 17m 46s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I got carried away at the start and had to step out to the side and walk to filter back to the back. I met a lot of very nice people. I'd run with someone for a few miles and split up and meet someone else. Saw fgump a few times. He's got so much energy it rubs off. I think that's the first time we've met in person, but we've been friends for awhile.

My hat fell off my belt on the trails and I didn't notice until going to Reedy Creek on Graylyn, the lady behind me said she had seen it on Sycamore and felt bad for not picking it up. I told her it's not her job, but it must not have worked. Apparently she saw that someone turned it in at a water stop and picked it up. She returned it when she saw me on Cedar Ridge. I think she was pushing herself harder just to return my hat!

I ran most of the last half by myself, but it was great to see the people I met on Cedar Ridge, especially the ones worried about missing that cutoff.

I hit that dangerous moment walking up cemetary hill, that moment that I realize I have a shot at my original time goal. You know, the one I had abandoned last week. Well, I started doing math in my head, which I really struggle with when I'm wiped out. So I just kept accelerating. I was about to slow to a walk again at the small hill up to the turn, but then two volunteers started encouraging me and I couldn't slow down then. After the turn it was a little easier. I think I did that whole road at close to 8min/mile pace. Got a lot of great encouragement from people leaving on foot and in cars. The cars stopped and gave me lots of room. I think it was the final excitement that pushed me across so fast. As I crossed I turned and saw my wife waving; she had Xander sleeping on her lap.
What would you do differently?:

Certainly nothing to be faster on race day. If anything I would have slowed down to hang out with other people more.
Post race
Warm down:

I think the finish line people got a little concerned, one reached out to catch me as I started leaning a little to far to the side. I think I won some shoes! As I'm typing I'm literally looking around wondering where the envelope is because I haven't read it yet. My wife read it and said it was completely free shoes. An angel showed up with Gatorade. ...I'm really having trouble remembering the end.

Picked up the glass and got some Moe's. Avoided sitting. The angel teased me everytime I went up or down the steps like I was 95 years old. Waited for the people I had run with and each one of them made it. Even the girl who had never run longer than 14 miles.

Slow, old man walk back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

This is absolutely the best race I have ever done! I enjoyed the course, the post race food, and the whole atmosphere! Also, the race swag was extremely impressive! If you want to do a marathon, this is a must do! It's challenging, but it's supposed to be!

Last updated: 2009-12-21 12:00 AM
Running
05:17:46 | 26.2 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/163
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful tour of Umstead with several out and back spurs. A nice easy warmup, then onto some challenging trails, and then off to the bigger hills on the otherside of the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-03-07 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Umstead Trail Marathon

2010-03-07 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2712447

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Umstead Trail Marathon
Told you it's a great race.  You did FANTASTIC!  The hat story is what Umstead is all about.  That is the spirit of Umstead.  Yes, your finish line sounds just like mine did.  All I could think about was where I could go get some ice cream. 

Take as much time off from running as you can.  That race takes a LOT out of you.  I wouldn't try running for at least a week minimum.

Congratulations again, sir.
2010-03-07 6:07 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
great race, congrats.
2010-03-09 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Congrats on getting it done!!!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with you more.  I had looked for you earlier but couldn't find you.  Then I realised that I hadn't put my race belt on with my number until just before the start.

It was an awesome day out there.  We are so fortunate to have Umstead in our back yards.

Great race report too.  Thanks for sharing it.
2010-03-10 1:39 AM

User image

Plano, Tx
Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Umstead Trail Marathon Rss Feed