General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation 2 weeks before race ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-07 6:12 PM

Veteran
Subject: Vacation 2 weeks before race ??
I'm racing my first (sprint) Tri this spring, June 19th to be exact.

I was invited to go on the annual Canada fishing trip with the BIG-WIG'S at work this year and it happens to be about a week before the race. I'll be gone for 9 days and return home exactly 7 days prior to the race. I thought about not going, but this was the type of deal where I couldn't refuse the good ole boys, if you know what I mean.

I'll be in a remote cabin location with no exercise equipment and no place to run and of course no way to bring or ride a bike. Swimming in 45 degree water, alone, doesn't sound like a smart thing either. 
SO....

any suggestions on maintaining my fitness level? I have an excellent base in my training right now and I plan to start a 12 week to peak program this week. I plan to finish my 12 week program the week I leave for Canada, so I should be at peak when I leave. 
My current thoughts are to do a (nearly) weight free curcuit program while I'm there. I do this program at times, It is quite strenuous and produces quite a heart thumping workout by doing squats lunges, mountain climbers, pushups, etc...
Thoughts? Thanks!   

2010-03-07 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2713014

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Vacation 2 weeks before race ??
Well, if your going fishing there has to be water so swimming sounds covered.    Long as you find someone to watch you in case.  But, no roads to run on there?  Doesn't have to be paved.  If your going to do the weight lifting routine don't wait until the two weeks of vacation to start it.
2010-03-07 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2713044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
bzgl40 - 2010-03-07 8:31 PM Well, if your going fishing there has to be water so swimming sounds covered.    Long as you find someone to watch you in case.  But, no roads to run on there?  Doesn't have to be paved.  If your going to do the weight lifting routine don't wait until the two weeks of vacation to start it.

I'm guessing its a fly in kind of deal.

The circuit plan sounds fine, but how about taking your wetsuit and doing a lot of swimming? Also, a bunch of hiking/bushwhacking can get the heart rate up- uses some different muscles but should work just fine.   
2010-03-07 6:39 PM

Veteran
No roads for 100 miles. You fly into this place on a float plane.

I guess I could swim, but it would have be with a wetsuit and only if someone watched me at all times.  I kinda ruled that out (bringing a wetsuit) as space and weight is a premium on a float plane.
I'll reconsider the wetsuit thing.

I do core/body strength cuircuits 2 or 3 x's a week and have done so for a long, long time.

On a side note, my diet will be awfully protein rich and high in the good Omega's, eating fresh cold water fish for a week! Haha! 

Edited by otee453 2010-03-07 6:43 PM
2010-03-07 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2713062

User image

Elite
Miami
otee453 - 2010-03-07 6:39 PM No roads for 100 miles. You fly into this place on a float plane.

I guess I could swim, but it would have be with a wetsuit and only if someone watched me at all times.  I kinda ruled that out (bringing a wetsuit) as space and weight is a premium on a float plane.
I'll reconsider the wetsuit thing.

I do core/body strength cuircuits 2 or 3 x's a week and have done so for a long, long time.

On a side note, my diet will be awfully protein rich and high in the good Omega's, eating fresh cold water fish for a week! Haha! 

you won't be able to find a trail to run on?  I am sure you can run around the lake.

also 2 weeks / 1 week out the taper begins so you won't exactly gain alot of fitness just as long as you can do some kind of activity. 
2010-03-07 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
I've done something similar. We were on the only cabin on the LAKE. The nearest living being to us was 15 miles away. That being said, at night you could hear the wolves rustling around outside. We also had to make a trip (which had to be made every month) to check a canoe that a bear had a fetish for. Yes that is right, a BEAR was playing with the canoe. I would NOT go out for a run/hike by yourself, there are a lot of animals, and there is a good chance the moose will be in or near rut (which is a VERY dangerous time of year, I've seen a moose charge a semi). Swimming is an option, but all in all, just doing the circuit routine will be fine. You should be FAIRLY active at least so you'll be fine. Don't pass up this opportunity! Have fun!

Edited by menglo 2010-03-07 6:52 PM

2010-03-07 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Pushups, situps, etc., stretching.  Put on your hiking boots and go at a fast walk for an hour -- just get your HR into Zone 2. 

Nix the wetsuit and swimming, unless there is one other person who is definitely committed to doing the same.  If you are the solo swimmer in the party, you'll either come off as obsessive or a show off.  Plus, if you had any kind of problem while swimming, you'll never hear the end of it.  I'm usually one to say "go for it", but in this case there's very little upside and many possible ways it can be messed up.  Paddle a canoe, that will give you a good shoulder workout.

Go easy on the cigars and bourbon.  Eat well, sleep well, come back well rested -- that alone is probably worth more than any workouts you could have done if you didn't go.
Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation 2 weeks before race ?? Rss Feed