United States
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 35s
Overall Rank = 86/362
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 5/23
Pre-race routine:

Ate 3 eggs with broccoli for breakfast at 7:30 a.m. Race was not until 11:00 a.m.
Event warmup:

Jogged several minutes and stretched.
Run
  • 24m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Once the three Master's females were removed, I was bumbed up to win 2nd place AG! Finished 19 out of 179 total female (10.5%).

This was my very first race EVAH after completing the Couch to 5K program last year, so I was very excited to do it again. I was not able to train properly for about a month prior to the race do to knee and arch issues so I had no idea what to expect. I NEVER expected to break 8 min miles! This was definitely a PR for me. I was a full 6 min faster this year than last year.

I wore my old faithful Mizunos that have over 400 miles on them because I'm suspicious of my new Brooks being the cause of my recent health issues. My knees and my arch felt great today. But my lungs were about to explode! I was definitely outside of my comfort zone and really had to dig deep to keep going. I felt nearly to the point of hypervetilating. I surely remembered my fellow BTers talking about it being mental effort and being able to push through the discomfort. My strategy was to take off hard and HANG ON! I truly wanted to stop. But stopping was not an option unless it was to puke or pass out.

Photobucket
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off and stretched, then went for a 2 hour "recovery" bike ride!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, other than maybe spending more time on speed work. I've been running LSD all winter and truly had NO idea what I could do with a short sprint.

Event comments:

This is probably the best race I've ever done as far as the setup/activities. They have a whole family festival going on with vendors, kids play area, and a chili cookoff. I hope to do this race every year. It means a lot to me because it is the race that started me on my current path which will hopefully lead to Ironman. But it all started with this little ole 5K in Lumberton!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:35 | 03.11 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 86/362
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fast.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-03-08 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Rumba on the Lumber 5K

2010-03-08 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2713599

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-08 10:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: RE: Rumba on the Lumber
Congrats on a good race, 2nd in AG, and PR! Yeah, not sure I could stomach that myself before a race (I also don't care for broccoli). But whatever works for ya! Maybe for the half (or will it be full?) marathon, 6 eggs ;-) ? Keep up the great training and good luck in the next one!
2010-03-08 3:54 PM

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Rumba on the Lumber
Hey... what's wrong with my breakfast?  Eggs for protein and broccoli for carbs.

I eat eggs w/ steak, chicken, or salmon OR eggs w/ broccoli, spinach, or brussels sprouts every single day.  Race was not until 11, so I went with normal breakfast and had 3 hours to digest.  Normally I would eat a banana on race day, but decided I didn't need it for such a short race.

Early race days I normally have a protein shake, banana, peanut butter or walnuts or maybe a Lara bar.

2010-03-09 5:49 AM
in reply to: #2714955

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumba on the Lumber 5K Rss Feed