United States
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 38s
Overall Rank = 36/362
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/23
Pre-race routine:

This race didn't start until 11:00am, so eating before the race was a bit trickier. I was up at 5:00am, and had my normal breakfast of oatmeal, greek yogurt, banana, egg and coffee. Then before I left at 9:00am to drive to Lumberton, I had toast w/peanut butter and a pear.
Event warmup:

I did some running, strides and dynamic stretching.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I did this race last year and placed 2nd female masters. They pay cash prizes for overall winners and I won $150. My time last year was 22:57. I struggled with my breathing in that race and was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma right after. So, I decided to go back this year and try to get 1st female masters.

I went to find a place at the start line about 10 minutes before the race start. I was starting to get cold again by the time the gun went off. I was worried about how this was going to affect my race start. When the gun went off, everyone around me just exploded past me. I felt like I wasn't even moving. I tried to remain calm and just run my race. It wasn't long before I started catching up to and passing all those rabbits.

I pushed the pace as hard as I could. 5K's are not my favorite distance. I don't like how much they hurt - my lungs were burning and I felt like puking for most of this run. Last year, I got water at one aid station and regretted it because it immediately made me feel nauseous. So, this time I decided to completely skip the aid stations. I didn't need water for a 3.1 mile race anyway (it was only 47 degrees).

I had set a goal of 7:00 miles for this race and made that goal (right at 6:58 pace). According to my Garmin, I was running 6:50 miles - so either the course was long or I was doing a lot of zig-zagging (probably the later). Overall, I was thrilled with my finish time (a PR of 1:19). Unfortunately, a couple of faster women decided to race today, so I finished 3rd female masters. But that was still good for $125!

When I got home from the race, I checked the mail and had received results from some bloodwork that I had done. I haven't been feeling great lately. I have been feeling a lot of fatigue and lightheadedness. I have been to the doctor several times trying to figure it out. According to the results, I have iron-defiency anemia (which is what I had suspected). But now I have to go back next year - maybe if I can run healthy, I can finally win the master's overall???
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - I did the best I could on that day.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm-down was my walk back to my car to get my jacket and then back to the finish line to wait for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would like to blame the anemia, but I have no way of knowing if I would have done any better if I wasn't anemic. So, I would say nothing.

Last updated: 2010-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:38 | 03.11 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/23
Overall: 36/362
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 6:50 pace, avg HR 173, max HR 184 Mile 2 - 6:52 pace, avg HR 183, max HR 185 Mile 3 - 6:57 pace, avg HR 184, max HR 185 Last .1 -6:36 pace, ave HR 184, max HR 185
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes