General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Bike Purchase Question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-05 7:54 PM

User image

New user

Chicago, IL
Subject: Another Bike Purchase Question...
I want to buy a bike from this guy who works out at the health club where I worked. It is **purple** and all pimped out for triathlon racing. He bought it for his ex while they were training together and now he just wants to get rid of it.

Before I purchase it, I am going to go to a bike store and get fitted. Which brings me to my question-If I am not an exact fit, how close do I have to be? Within 1 inch? 2? 3? 4? 5? 10? Does anyone know?

I really hope this bike is a fit for me!

2004-04-05 9:01 PM
in reply to: #16605

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: Another Bike Purchase Question...
Matey if its a money thing, speak to your bike shop and they will size you and let you know. If its not a money thing my advice is to get a propper fitted bike. My new bike I had fitted and the results are tops
Secondly if you can take the bike to the shop and let them check it out, you dont want to get stiched up

Craig
2004-04-06 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
Boston, MA
I would agree with the above. I am sure that you have heard this before: If a bike dosen't fit, you WILL NOT want to ride it. It will cause you aches and pains. 4 years ago I bought a mountain bike at an unreal price, the only problem was it was a "little too big - 21.5" (my proper size is a 19.5"). I was naive and bought it anyhow. Every time I get on the thing my back hurts. Plus when I ride other mountain bikes I feel much more comfortable and in control on the smaller (correct) size bike. My point - FIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING
2004-04-06 9:27 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Other than the fact that it is purple, you do not know much about this bike. Ask him what size it is and if he does not know, take a look at it. straddle the bar and see if the top tube is too high, in which case you will not be able to ride it, or too low, in which case the cockpit will be too short for you. If you think that it fits you, take it to a bike shop and have a knowledgeable bike mechanic fit it to you. If it cannot be fitted to you because it is not the proper size, DO NOT take ... even it it is free! There are three things that are of paramount importance in a bike, 1. fit, 2. fit, and 3. fit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Bike Purchase Question... Rss Feed