General Discussion Triathlon Talk » run/walk vs. steady pace Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-03-09 11:48 PM
in reply to: #2717123

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: run/walk vs. steady pace
tcovert - 2010-03-09 3:32 PM Guys, if run/walk yielded optimum speed at any distance, the elites would be run/walking.

They aren't...because it doesn't.  (Other than, perhaps, in the exceptional cases covered by the link from Adventure Bear that KathyG provided.)

I used run/walking for months when I got off the couch to regain fitness.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.  And it does provide advantages in certain contexts (which have been covered in this thread).  I still walk for active recovery the day after long races or training sessions.

But the meme that there's some sort of inherent physiological speed advantage to run/walking a distance vs. running it is bogus.  Run/walking provides optimum speed at a distance for those who are adapted to run/walking that distance.  For those who have adapted to running that same distance, the point of diminishing returns from extended walk breaks is hit pretty quickly.

Despite what someone implied earlier in the thread, pace doesn't automatically fall off significantly over distance if you are running at a pace you are adapted to for that duration:  My slowest mile in my last marathon was only 5% slower than my fastest (not counting the start and the finish) and was within 4% of my average for the race.  From others I've talked to, that's not unusual...some people negative split their marathons.  Pretty much the same story for the 20+ mile training run I did on Sunday:  Pace was almost constant (sub-4 mary) for 17 miles, falling off less than a minute/mile for two miles, then recovering to my original pace for the remainder.

There's nothing particularly exceptional about me...I was a fat guy on the couch a bit over five years ago...other than that I didn't set out to train to run distance X for race Y by date Z...I just set out to lose weight and gain fitness and that turned from 45-60 min. walks with run breaks into just one mile, then three mile, then five mile, etc., runs...and that eventually led to a marathon.

Some of what keeps people in an endless run/walk routine is that they start out by setting a timeline to cover a certain distance by a certain date that doesn't allow for building adequate run fitness, but does allow for adequate run/walk fitness.  At some point, to transition from run/walk to running only implies stepping down duration and building anew...it seems like there's a reluctance in some cases to "pulling back" in that way.

X2 as well. I definitely agree with this. And I think a lot of this is personal choice and personal goals that you set for yourself during a race. For me, walking means failure and dissapointment...my goal for every race is to NOT walk...and I'm proud that I have not given in. I also think the ability to maintain a running pace throughout the race is very much mental. You are telling yourself you need to walk, it would feel so good to just walk and take a break...but I just push through and and feel so much more prouder and accomplished after. It's like a mental wall you get too and just have to push through...I can understand if some take up the run/walk because their fitness is not quite there or don't want to mess up an injury. I just train like I'm going to be running the entire distance...for me walking is not an option....of course I am doing my first HIM this summer so It will be a huge challenge both physically and mentally to not take a walk break in a half-marathon, but I feel that if I or someone else has properly trained than it is very much doable and considerably faster.

Edited by meblack 2010-03-09 11:51 PM

2010-03-10 12:24 AM
in reply to: #2717815

User image

Veteran
markz - He includes a ratio table and if you can run at 7m/mile - it's basically not for you!

Maybe so.  But 7min/mi is a 3 hour marathon.   Can anyone here run a 3 hour marathon?

And, it's possible that the benefit may actually extend beyond that.  In the Ironman Podcast, they talk about advanced(tm) run/walking, where the rest breaks are short through the aid stations, and a sort of speedwalking is used instead of normal walking.

But until we get up to point of running sub 7-minute miles for any significant distance, we probably don't have to worry about that.

gerald12 - I don't think sub 10 hour people do a lot of walking. Thats part of the reason they went under 10. They may walk the aid stations for a short period but that is about it for most.

That's still something.  Even many of the sub 10 hours people are walking 15 - 30 seconds a mile?

meblack - For me, walking means failure and dissapointment...my goal for every race is to NOT walk...and I'm proud that I have not given in.

I can sort of understand that attitude.  But as a serious question.  

A) Running all 13.1 miles of your 1/2 IM.

b) Finishing 30 minutes _faster_ through strategically scheduling walking breaks.

Would you chose A or B?

2010-03-10 2:50 AM
in reply to: #2717830

User image

mrcurtain - 2010-03-09 8:24 PM
markz - He includes a ratio table and if you can run at 7m/mile - it's basically not for you!

Maybe so.  But 7min/mi is a 3 hour marathon.   Can anyone here run a 3 hour marathon?

And, it's possible that the benefit may actually extend beyond that.  In the Ironman Podcast, they talk about advanced(tm) run/walking, where the rest breaks are short through the aid stations, and a sort of speedwalking is used instead of normal walking.

But until we get up to point of running sub 7-minute miles for any significant distance, we probably don't have to worry about that.

gerald12 - I don't think sub 10 hour people do a lot of walking. Thats part of the reason they went under 10. They may walk the aid stations for a short period but that is about it for most.

That's still something.  Even many of the sub 10 hours people are walking 15 - 30 seconds a mile?

meblack - For me, walking means failure and dissapointment...my goal for every race is to NOT walk...and I'm proud that I have not given in.

b) Finishing 30 minutes _faster_ through strategically scheduling walking breaks.

Would you chose A or B?

I respect your personal decision to run/walk...because in the end it's a personal choice.  Everyone's body responds differently.  But after reading through some of your previous posts, you seem to insist that run/walking is proven to be faster than running steady state with no actual proof other than your own personal experience. 

If I asked the question

A) Running all 13.1 miles or your 1/2 IM.

B) Finishing 30 minutes faster through a strategy of crawling, backwards running, and back flipping

Would you choose A or B?

Of course the answer is B because it's a faster time.  But I can't prove that crawling, backward running, and back flipping will actually lead to a 30 minute faster time for any given individual.  For someone incapable of running forward, it very may well be the case...but that doesn't mean what works for one person is best for everyone.

My point simply being that run/walking does have benefits for those who can't run an entire distance.  Whether it's a 5k, a marathon, or an ultra.  Just don't make a blanket statment that just because you can't run a 3 hour marathon then you should be run/walking...that's not true for everyone.
2010-03-10 6:47 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
mrcurtain - 2010-03-09 11:24 PM

Would you chose A or B?

Yes, there are people here who run an open marathon under 3 hours, a bunch actually. And there are also sub 10 hour IM'ers who very well might walk an aisd station, but not even close to 30 seconds per mile. Walking an aid station means taking about 5-10seconds to drink and that's it.
2010-03-10 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2717791

Regular
Oldteen - 2010-03-09 11:54 PM

What is interesting is that power and harder efforts goes counter to the run/walk method as an analogy. If you take average power which is just the straight average of power for the entire ride, and then there is normalized power which is an algorithm that quantifies the physiological impact of the training/racing session. As it turns out the function to quantify blood lactate levels to power levels is power to the 4th power. anyway .. to put this into real numbers if you ride 60 minutes at 200 watts the entire time or average power and normalized power will both be 200 watts. Now if you do that same ride at 100watts for 10 minutes then 300watts for 10 minutes then 100, 300 .. for the 60 minutes your average power is 200 watts but your normalized power is 253 watts.  So in this case the effort is much harder on the body, not easier.  

I've never been convinced of this single notion of "normalized power".   Studies finding better performance at same (or lower) lactate levels with active vs passive (zero watts) recovery between efforts of the same maximal intensity would argue against the unified normalized power concept (e.g. Connolly DAJ, et al. J Sports Sci Medicine 2:47-51,2003.). And according to most recent scientific publications in the field there is no direct relation (4th power or not) between lactate levels and muscle performance in humans, particularly for varying intensities of muscle work.  In fact, many now feel it is not lactate but exercise-induced muscle acidosis  which is mainly responsible for muscle fatigue & performance decrement. 

http://advan.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/33/4/302  (Is lactate production related to muscle fatigue?)
http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/287/3/R502 

This is what I love about this forum, we have science and the anecdotal evidence that both methods work. I think what I am seeing is that the run/walk method works well for those that train that method, more so for people that don't have extensive years of base building (elites, and historically strong runners). I guess I wonder, being 32 years old, and knowing I intend to do train for this sport for the long haul, am I better logging base running miles with the idea that in the long run, i.e. 5 years from now, I will be faster over the longer distances than if I used the run walk methodology and got to the distance faster?
2010-03-10 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2715754

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
I believe that Chris Lieto, and Chris McCormack both walked a bit during the last Kona Ironman. I don't think they were the only ones.

I can run a half-marathon without stopping. I might even be able to run a full marathon without stopping.
BUT I know I'll finish faster if I take a few short walk breaks.
Its a race.
I want to finish faster.

2010-03-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2718019

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
mgalanter - 2010-03-10 6:40 AM

I believe that Chris Lieto, and Chris McCormack both walked a bit during the last Kona Ironman. I don't think they were the only ones.

I can run a half-marathon without stopping. I might even be able to run a full marathon without stopping.
BUT I know I'll finish faster if I take a few short walk breaks.
Its a race.
I want to finish faster.

Macca and Leito walked due to physical distress, not as part of a race strategy, so that has no bearing. I bet you properly trained, you could run a full marathon faster then run/walk. In fact, I have no doubt you could, don't sell yourself short.

Edited by bryancd 2010-03-10 7:56 AM
2010-03-10 8:56 AM

Master
I can run the entire half marathon and when I did I usually did about 2:05. I switched over to run/walk and got my half marathon time down to 1:56.

I even tried it out at a 5K distance, and knocked my 5K time down to 23 minutes and I used to hang out around 26 minutes for a 5K.

My feeling is, as long as you are not cheating, do what's best for you.

2010-03-10 8:58 AM

User image

Runner
So, what have we learned?

Race the way you train.
2010-03-10 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Let's look at the situation from a muscle fiber point of view.    Walk/run will benefit the people with a preponderance of fast twitch type of muscle cells, whist it will be of little to no benefit for those with a preponderance of slow twitch types of cells.   

I have found that even in a 5k, taking a 15-20 seconds walk break at the 1 and 2 mile marks will give me a slightly better time that trying to run a a consistent pace throughout the race.   This is also how I get through 10k races.

It suits my physiology.
2010-03-10 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2718208

User image

Runner
MadMathemagician - 2010-03-10 9:59 AM

Let's look at the situation from a muscle fiber point of view.    Walk/run will benefit the people with a preponderance of fast twitch type of muscle cells, whist it will be of little to no benefit for those with a preponderance of slow twitch types of cells.   

I have found that even in a 5k, taking a 15-20 seconds walk break at the 1 and 2 mile marks will give me a slightly better time that trying to run a a consistent pace throughout the race.   This is also how I get through 10k races.

It suits my physiology.

Then how is it that there is a correlation between 100m times and marathon times (in other words, those marathoners with faster marathon times also have faster 100m times).

2010-03-10 9:06 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
mrcurtain - 2010-03-10 1:24 AM

Would you chose A or B?

So you're saying that if I choose B and do run/walk I can get a 1hr time for my HIM run time?  Or maybe go 53 minutes for my open half.  SWEET!!!
2010-03-10 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Yeah the whole would I choose to finish 30minutes faster if I run/walked...um yeah sorry don't buy it. I know that with my body and training that if I implied a run/walk strategy I would most definitely be slower. All those pro's and even really good ameatures that finish in good times like sub 11 in ironman's....pretty damn sure they didn't walk.
2010-03-10 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2718054

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Macca and Leito walked due to physical distress, not as part of a race strategy, so that has no bearing.

To me that raises the interesting question.
What if they had changed their race strategy and included short planned walk breaks?  Might they have been able to avoid some of this "physical distress" and perhaps improve their run times?  I realize there would be major negative press for any elite first trying it, but what if such an unconventional strategy were to win Kona or another major IM competition someday?  Fun to speculate....

Sometimes unconventional technique can have breakthrough success and even become the new athletic standard over time, as in the high jump after 1968. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosbury_Flop

2010-03-10 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2718326

User image

Runner
Oldteen - 2010-03-10 10:39 AM

Macca and Leito walked due to physical distress, not as part of a race strategy, so that has no bearing.

To me that raises the interesting question.
What if they had changed their race strategy and included short planned walk breaks?  Might they have been able to avoid some of this "physical distress" and perhaps improve their run times?  I realize there would be major negative press for any elite first trying it, but what if such an unconventional strategy were to win Kona or another major IM competition someday?  Fun to speculate....

Sometimes unconventional technique can have breakthrough success and even become the new athletic standard over time, as in the high jump after 1968. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosbury_Flop

Short planned walk breaks do not make up for racing above your fitness level on that day.

Edited by Scout7 2010-03-10 9:47 AM
2010-03-10 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2718300

Akron, OH
meblack - 2010-03-10 10:32 AM Yeah the whole would I choose to finish 30minutes faster if I run/walked...um yeah sorry don't buy it. I know that with my body and training that if I implied a run/walk strategy I would most definitely be slower. All those pro's and even really good ameatures that finish in good times like sub 11 in ironman's....pretty damn sure they didn't walk.

I think you're mistaken.  I bet almost all of them walked some of it, particularly for 20-30 sec thru the aid stations to take in some fluids or nutrition.  That's exactly what we are talking about here.  Training in that way and scheduling the walk breaks and planning for them from the beginning.  Did my first Half Mary last fall.  Was walking 30sec every mile or so.  Aid stations were somewhere around two miles apart so it was easy to walk every aid station and once inbetween.  I definitely feel I could run the entire 13.1 without stopping, but haven't figured out yet why I'd want to.  I feel much better after my long runs this way, it's a lot less harder on my legs, I'm not wearing gatoraide all over my shirt, etc, and it's faster for me.  13.1 time was 1:50:24 or averaging 8:28 per mile including the walk breaks.  As far as getting trampled, the aid stations were easy, lots of people walking.  The non-aid stations, take a peak behind, move to the far right and done.  Non-issue.  

Lastly, I see a lot of posts from people who switched to Run/Walk, like it, and think they are faster, and a lot from people who haven't tried it and don't want to.  Haven't seen many who've really tried it, trained and raced that way, and said it didn't help or work.  I'm sure there are some and that's fine, but seems a lot more like it than don't.

I'm also convinced that these mini-breaks is why I always enjoyed cycling and hated running.  When cycling, you can take little mini-breaks whenever, soft pedal, spin a little, whatever you want to call it, but every stride was work, even downhill running was hard for me.  I truly enjoy running now and I credit it entirely to Galloway's Run/Walk strategy.  Ran a hilly 9 miles yesterday with walk breaks.  Great work out and not bad for a guy who one year ago had the mantra "I only run when chased"

Edited by dscottmd 2010-03-10 9:55 AM

2010-03-10 10:00 AM

User image

Runner
Run/Walk is nothing more than managing effort. There's no magic in it, and there's no right or wrong answer for any of this. If it works for you, great.

Personally, I don't use it. I don't train it, I don't see a need for me to use, so I don't. The races I have walked in were trail races. And I did it to manage my effort.

Regarding elites and walking.... I know that elite marathoners do not walk aid stations. I've watched enough races to know that one. I do not walk aid stations. I have enough practice at grabbing and drinking on the run.

Really, the whole thing comes down to what works for you. Period.
2010-03-10 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2718349

User image

Runner
dscottmd - 2010-03-10 10:47 AM

I'm also convinced that these mini-breaks is why I always enjoyed cycling and hated running.  When cycling, you can take little mini-breaks whenever, soft pedal, spin a little, whatever you want to call it, but every stride was work, even downhill running was hard for me.  I truly enjoy running now and I credit it entirely to Galloway's Run/Walk strategy.  Ran a hilly 9 miles yesterday with walk breaks.  Great work out and not bad for a guy who one year ago had the mantra "I only run when chased"

Dollars to doughnuts you ran too hard. If run/walk helps you avoid that issue, awesomeness.
2010-03-10 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2718398

Akron, OH
We will have to agree to disagree.  The repetitive running motion, no matter how easy, led to fatigue issues that were easily overcome by these short breaks.  You're opinion is I ran too hard.  My opinion is I needed short walk breaks.  You're right, it is whatever works for you.  My disagreement with you is the attitude that someone obviously is doing something wrong, ie running too hard, not training properly, etc, which is why Run/Walk works for them.  I think it's simply a better way for a lot of people, period.  
2010-03-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2718474

User image

Runner
dscottmd - 2010-03-10 11:22 AM

We will have to agree to disagree.  The repetitive running motion, no matter how easy, led to fatigue issues that were easily overcome by these short breaks.  You're opinion is I ran too hard.  My opinion is I needed short walk breaks.  You're right, it is whatever works for you.  My disagreement with you is the attitude that someone obviously is doing something wrong, ie running too hard, not training properly, etc, which is why Run/Walk works for them.  I think it's simply a better way for a lot of people, period.  

We are not really disagreeing. I'm just looking at it from a different perspective, which is nothing more than my own view of what is going on based on my experiences.
2010-03-10 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2718198

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
nighthawk - 2010-03-10 7:56 AM

I can run the entire half marathon and when I did I usually did about 2:05. I switched over to run/walk and got my half marathon time down to 1:56.

I even tried it out at a 5K distance, and knocked my 5K time down to 23 minutes and I used to hang out around 26 minutes for a 5K.

My feeling is, as long as you are not cheating, do what's best for you.

Did you ever consider your improved results could also be simply a result of better run fitness? That your training protocol allowed you to safely build mileage is a plus, for sure, and that's where I think run/walk can be helpful. Hafve you tried to now go back to just running?

Again, I have no problem at all with run/walk or anyother training or racing protocol anyone uses to get to the finish line. Run/walk, howver, is NOT a faster method of racing. The reason pro triathletes or top marathoners don't use a run/walk race strategy is because it's not faster.

Edited by bryancd 2010-03-10 10:41 AM

2010-03-10 10:50 AM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

This has turned into an interesting discussion. A couple of observations:

1. I don't think anyone has suggested that run/walk is faster for the true elite marathoners/triathletes. But can it make an AG faster? As Kathy pointed out, it made some of her coach's AG's KQ'ers. For many AG's that's the ulimate goal.

2. I agree with the above post that said that most of the push-back on run/walk is from people who haven't really tried it. And for those who are already fast, like Scout or Bryan, it wouldn't make sense to try it. But for those MOP or BOP who are trying to build distance/duration (like me), it works just great.

Edited by zed707 2010-03-10 10:51 AM
2010-03-10 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2718598

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
zed707 - 2010-03-10 9:50 AM
But for those MOP or BOP who are trying to build distance/duration (like me), it works just great.

I agree 100% and I hope I have made that part clear. When I say it's not "faster" I do beleive that most athletes can be trained to run an entire marathon in a faster time than a run/walk, I don't like the idea of "can't". I also think that once they go down this road, will they ever try to just run int he future? A lot of the people who have had good results they acribe to run/walk I think can more likely be ascribed simply through increased volume and run fitness. They have become better runners and might want to consider moving away from run/walk and back to just running.
2010-03-10 11:39 AM

Akron, OH
Bryan, do you know of any pros who have tried it??  Just curious.  I think it would be a bit of an ego hit for a pro to try it so I'm wondering if any ever have.  Either way, this is BT (Beginner Triathlete) and discussion of how the pros do things really isn't all that relevant in a lot of ways.  You may be right in that at the extreme end of the spectrum with elite athletes, it's not a faster way to race, although again, has anyone tried it?  For the other 98% of us, I think it is very debatable if it is a faster way to race and I'm as certain based on my experience as you are based on yours that the answer is ABSOLUTELY faster for some athletes.  What percentage, I have no idea, but it's a significant number.  Let's leave all the fitness and training aspects out of it, which you've already agreed that if Run/walk allows you to go farther and longer and provides increased fitness, it's a good thing.  Lets just talk about the race.  I went into my half mary with whatever fitness I had.  I ran 8:10s and walked 30 sec every mile approx for an average of 8:28s.  IF on that same day, with the same fitness, I tried to run the whole way, I do not believe I could have averaged less than 8:28 per mile running steady and honestly doubt I'd have been under 9 min/mi on average, so for me, it IS a faster way to race.  

I'd really like to see an elite give it a try.  As Ronald Reagan said "It's not the things we don't know that are the problem, it's the things we know that simply aren't true" 
2010-03-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2718764

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I am aware that a number of what I condider "elite" athletes have tried, Gordo Bryne actually wrote about it on his blog and there was a terrific discussion of it on the "IM Talk" Podcast about the pro's and con's. The general consensus was biased towards anyone who was a 3:30+ open or 4:00+ IM marthon runner MIGHT benefit from using the protocol, so I wouldn't say it's an extreme FOP only athlete who can and should run the whole thing, but certainly it's more beneficial for faster athletes to run and not walk. I don't think we will see this adopted by pro's or pure marathon runners.

I suppose the issue, as Scout has mentioned, really does come down to pace management. I think it would be challenging to make the case that there is some physiological change which occurs during walk breaks that can result in faster inbetween run splits and faster times overall. Certainly there's a psychological advantage as you get to anticipate a rest period as a reward for your run period and then walk and allow your HR to come down some. No pro's or top AG'er spend 30 seconds per aid station walking, I can tell you that. You loose way too much time. Walking aid stations is certainly a legitimate and often recomended plan for many AG IM athletes, but still that's not the kind of duration we have been discussing.

Again, I don't see this concept or plan gaining a lot of traction beyond the walk the aid station strategy and I do still feel that most athletes can be trained to run the full distance and do it at an overall pace that is quicker based on their fitness. I think it would be more interesting to see someone who has trained and raced this way to see if they find they can now simply run faster for longer and switch back as opposed to the reciprocol.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » run/walk vs. steady pace Rss Feed  

of 6